FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

PITCH INSPECTION GAME OFF

caleydawson

The club would have worked hard to get the game on but don't blame tides unless you can tell me what time high water was and how high the exceptionally high tide was.

If the sea was to blame a lot more games would get cancelled.

12th man I agree that high tide is not the reason but it has a contributory factor when you consider

1) between 150to200mm rain over a 12 hour period

2) melting snow off the hills since Monday

3) water tables are generally higher than normal even taking the winter season into account

4) it is not the whole pitch which is creating the problem but more the area between the North stand goals and half way line and has been poor since last years improvements

5) the water does not just drain away when the tide goes out like pulling the plug out of the sink

Perhaps time for a plastic pitch !!

The club would have worked hard to get the game on but don't blame tides unless you can tell me what time high water was and how high the exceptionally high tide was.

Just to clarify the high tide was due at 13:30 and was predicted to be 2nd highest of the year so far. Happy now?

Amazing that football clubs are expected to achieve what mankind hasn't managed to do for thousands of years....predict and successfully beat the weather!!

Covers were down and all possible precautions were taken...but we're talking about 10's of thousands of gallons of water falling in a fairly short time on to ground that was already heavily soaked from ongoing wet weather....and a forecast that said it was going to continue. (a forecast that, until yesterday afternoon, had indicated the risk was lowish and chances are it would have missed the city)

Clubs, including ICTFC, have been pilloried in the past for not making early decisions in situations were extensive fan travel is involved...and some of our fans have been most vocal about it when we're the ones travelling! (although technically speaking it's the SFA rep doing the inspection that makes the decision).

We have one of the most experienced groundsmen in the country who has performed miracles on occasion over the years to get matches on, so let's cut him a bit of slack when he can't pull off the impossible!

• Agree 3

Highly unlikely that Tuesdays game will be televised as Champions League is on Sky/ITV

...and there you have it! I'm not sure how much the postponement will cost, but given the difficulties faced by home, and particularly away, fans for a Tuesday night game, coupled with many preferring not to brave the elements and to watch the CL instead, will make for a crowd reduction of ~1000 IMO. It's simple, Scottish football cannot compete with winter weather and better football on Sky. Summer football would avoid both these issues.

You do realise that summer football doesn't mean just June-August.

If we had a summer league we would be playing now so the game would be off anyway

It's time to stop talking about a 4G pitch and actually invest in one for next season. It would pay for itself.

- Year long revenue stream from hiring it to the public
- No need to hire alternative venues for training, U20 or Youth games
- No Games cancelled due to frozen or waterlogged pitches

It's time to stop talking about a 4G pitch and actually invest in one for next season. It would pay for itself.

...he says after assuring us all that today's game was not under threat!

Considering SEPA has issued flood warnings for Ness Bridge to Friars Bridge, Harbour and South Kessock and Ness-Side then I hardly think the club or the groundsman can be blamed for heavy rains.

As for summer football, yes the season would just be starting but the ground wouldn't have been played on for last couple of months so wouldn't be as compacted as it is now so drainage would be better.

...he says after assuring us all that today's game was not under threat!

I also believed the BBC weather forecast.

Just to clarify the high tide was due at 13:30 and was predicted to be 2nd highest of the year so far. Happy now?If it was a spring tide, with a strong Easterly wind raising the tide higher also blowing the water across the road and high water was about 8-10 am when the pitch inspection occurred then yes you could blame the tide but none if the above happened.

People will read your statement of 2nd highest of the year when really it could be nearly 2m higher than now for a spring tide but if it doesn't rain then no one notices the tide as they are busy watching footy

Edited by 12th Man

Just for clarity spring tides have nothing to do with the season of year. Its a spring tide this weekend but they occur every month, on the full moon and new moon. Twice a year there are very high spring tides. These occur when the new or full moon is at its closest to the earth. I believe this will only occur twice this year and niether of those times is this weekend so the claim of secont highest tide of year is false. The highest tide of this weekend will actually occur at 01:14 tomorrow morning. There was also same hieght tides in january and february.

Long and short is heavy rain over a short period caused the call off.

I must admit I did wonder if the right decision had been made when the sun was shining this afternoon. However having seen the pictures on sportscene the area between the 18 yard line and centre circle (Caley end) was well flooded. This area was a problem when we played St Johnstone and we have had far more rain over the past week. If it had gone ahead the wind would have been a nightmare and the conditions would likely have suited Raith more than us.

A few extra days rest and an extra training session for the new strikers should benefit the team.

Let's hope the pitch dries out and we can get a win on Tuesday.

• Agree 2

Maybe I'm an optimist but even Monday's forecast looks ok by met office. Always thought they were the ones that gave info to the other sites. Not sure where this big storm is coming from?

Fair play - this is what I was worried about (Monday isobar chart), but in fairness, it's a great day do far!

150309.png

• Agree 1

Warnings out for high winds on Kessock bridge now.

Date: Monday, 09 March 2015 Start Time: 12:10:24 Location: A9 Kessock Bridge Direction: Northbound & Southbound Type: High winds Description: All lanes restricted in both directions for more than an hour