Gardiner has resigned

Gardiner should have been sacked long ago.  The Board have created a problem for themselves by trusting Gardiner and allowing him to have far too much control in the running of the club.  Gardiner's management style is of the control freak variety.  He has never wanted anything done without his say so.  There are things which should have been delegated but which he would keep to himself.  As a result, I suspect there genuinely are a lot of things which realistically, only he can do.  For instance, we are due a club AGM and this had previously been administered by the Company Secretary.  We haven't had a Company Secretary since April last year and I would imagine that it has been the CEO who has taken on the Company Secretary roles.  There may be nobody else in the building that would know what to do, where to find the relevant files etc.

On the other hand, the Board also know there are people who do not trust Gardiner and who will not put a penny into the club until he is finally out of the door.  They will be aware that of all the loose ends to be tied up, he is the biggest.  I would assume he has at least 3 months notice to work, but if the club is to move forward quickly in a meaningful way, he needs to be away before then.  The Board therefore need to identify what "loose ends" there are which Gardiner needs to action and give him a clear timescale to get them sorted.  They need to identify who will now carry out his former management roles. They then need to identify what information he has which needs passed to others to allow the club to function, and make sure it is passed to the relevant people.  That should not take more than 4 weeks at the most.  After that, he should be away on gardening leave for the rest of his notice period.

Of course, if Gardiner was even a remotely competent manager, none of this would be necessary because he would have trained his staff properly and kept relevant staff appropriately appraised of issues.  This should be routine practice in order that other staff can seamlessly take over the reins in the event of unforeseen absence.  There should have been no reason for him to stay in the building beyond the day he resigned.

• Like 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Well Said 16

24 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Just a quick note to say that Sportsound on BBC Radio Scotland will be running a discussion on Caley Thistle round about 3:30 tomorrow (Sat) afternoon.

Last weeks one was pretty explosive do looking forward to this week's 

Thing is he's not gone, he's hanging on like a dried on skid mark on a toilet bowl. He's created a situation where he's held so much control that everything has to go through him and he's the only one 'able' to much of the processes. DD about has expressed this much better than I can. 

My red line is as it has been for months, no ST until he's gone. He's still there slithering around. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

10 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Just a quick note to say that Sportsound on BBC Radio Scotland will be running a discussion on Caley Thistle round about 3:30 tomorrow (Sat) afternoon.

Will this be the informed opinions of Mr dodds with irrelevant input from Miller and bonner?

• Well Said 2

Maybe it will be a half season ticket this year if it takes that long for the club to let Gardiner go . Does resigned not mean resigned as in HE resigned ?   Would you really want him to work his notice ? Would the board trust this guy after his continuous poor management.? I’d have thought Not but then again it’s Caley .Even the circus will probably pull out of using the car park this year knowing we have our own one going on at the moment . 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Fraz said:

Thing is he's not gone, he's hanging on like a dried on skid mark on a toilet bowl. He's created a situation where he's held so much control that everything has to go through him and he's the only one 'able' to much of the processes. DD about has expressed this much better than I can. 

My red line is as it has been for months, no ST until he's gone. He's still there slithering around. 

That's a bit harsh ... on skid marks. Nobody wants to be compared to him.

• Funny 1