FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Richard Hastings

Scotty

Whilst there was talk of Zander and Rory maybe getting into the Scotland U20 squad .... it may have gone un-noticed to some that Richard Hastings was recalled to the Canadian National Team a few months ago - and is now in the squad for the Gold Cup.

He has played both matches so far (full 90 mins in each) as Canada beat out Costa Rica 2-1 but went down to Guadeloupe by the same scoreline

Guest samuelbarros

He has played both matches so far (full 90 mins in each) as Canada beat out Costa Rica 2-1 but went down to Guadeloupe by the same scoreline

I initially though you were joking about Guadeloupe. I did a bit of looking and they don't even appear to be on the FIFA world rankings yet. I did some more looking and, despite it's Carribean location, it's part of France and it seems that many of the current/recent French national team are of Guadeloupe descent - Henry, Thuram, Wiltord, Sylvestre, Gallas, Saha, Chimbonda. That's got nothing to do with Richard Hastings, but I found it quite interesting nontheless.

I hope all this summer football this isn't going to leave Richie knackered half-way through next season.

From FIFA.com .....

Over in Group A in Miami, Guadeloupe - who drew Haiti in their fist match - kept up their Cinderella ways with a stunning 2-1 win over heavily-fancied Canada. Costa Rica and Haiti drew 1-1 in the night's final match to leave Guadeloupe alone at the top of the section.

After watching Guadeloupe's opening-day draw with Haiti from the bench, 41-year-old former France international and Marseilles winger Jocelyn Angloma needed only nine minutes to open the scoring against Canada. The Canucks - who won their first match in impressive fashion 2-1 over Costa Rica - came back in minute 31 through Ali Gerba's wicked, long-range strike. Things looked to be getting back to the status quo, but just three minutes later David Fleurival slammed a screamer home from 30 yards to put the tiny French Caribbean island cluster in the lead again - where they stayed until the end to earn their first-ever victory in regional competition.

"CONCACAF" Rankings with Gold Cup groups added - Guadeloupe not even on list as you said !!!

[attach=1]

The Gold Cup is a fairly long and drawn out competition - qualification began in September 2006 and the "lesser" teams (even though some are ranked higher than the likes of Canada) went through a load of qualifiers .....

In the Carribean, 24 teams started in 6 groups with the top two in each group going through to the next round. The second round was in three groups and again, the top two in each group went through with the two best third placed teams playing off for an additional spot and Trinidad seeded to enter at this stage. The third round of games was two groups of 4 with the top two in each going into the semis (and the gold cup)

Qualifiers (in ranked order) : Haiti, Trinidad & Tobago, Cuba, Guadeloupe

In the central America qualifiers, there were only 7 teams so 1 group of 4 and 1 group of 3. After the first round of games, The top 2 teams went to the semis and beyond and the two third placed teams played off for 5th place. 5 teams qualified

Qualifiers (in ranked order) : Costa Rica, Panama, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras

Canada, USA and Mexico appear to go straight into the competition as I cant find any qualification rounds ?

Guest samuelbarros

Looking at the history of the tournament at http://www.terra.com/deportes/articulo/html/fox385550.htm (see previous editions menu in left hand column), it's been a bit higgelty piggelty, with nations such as Peru, Brazil, South Africa and even South Korea participating in recent years, presumably by invite. Perhaps a task for our new SFA chief exec, Gordon Smith, to take on board. I'm sure he can persuade an invite for Scotland in 2009. After all, what tournament would not be enriched by the presence of the 2006 Kirin Cup champions.

Incidently, the 2007 Kirin Cup has just been played out and won by Japan. I note they didn't invite us back to defend our crown...bloody yellow-bellied gits.

Richard played another full 90 minutes as Canada advanced to the Quarter Final of the Gold Cup as winners of Group A with a 2-0 defeat of Haiti. Canada go through as group winners with Costa Rica taking second spot. Haiti go out after finishing in 4th spot but Guadeloupe could still make it through as one of the best 3rd placed teams.

a8caf7galecanhai2p.jpg

Next match is 16th June in Boston where Canada will play the runners up in Group B which could be any one of USA (6pts), Guatemala (3pts), El Salvador (3pts) or Trinidad & Tobago (0pts). The US have won both their games and play El Salvador today while Guatemala play Trinidad. My money would be on Guatemala being Canada's next opponents as Trinidad have a -3 goal difference and the USA will probably beat El Salvador.

Looking at the history of the tournament at http://www.terra.com/deportes/articulo/html/fox385550.htm (see previous editions menu in left hand column), it's been a bit higgelty piggelty, with nations such as Peru, Brazil, South Africa and even South Korea participating in recent years, presumably by invite. Perhaps a task for our new SFA chief exec, Gordon Smith, to take on board. I'm sure he can persuade an invite for Scotland in 2009. After all, what tournament would not be enriched by the presence of the 2006 Kirin Cup champions.

Incidently, the 2007 Kirin Cup has just been played out and won by Japan. I note they didn't invite us back to defend our crown...bloody yellow-bellied gits.

we wouldve been if we hadnt of been playing the faroes  :017:

• 2 weeks later...

Canada went out last night in the semi final stages to USA by a score of 2-1 even though they had a perfectly good goal chalked off in injury time !!!!

Richard has played in every game and done pretty well. The commentators last night were actually complimenting him on a difficult Gold Cup where he has had to move from his favoured left back position to play as an out and out centre half. From what I saw on TV he managed the change with no problem.

Think any Semi-Final of whatever International Event similar to our own European Championships, Albeit the Gold Cup is Less Talent.

Is still a great achievement for any player and should be recognised.

Well done to Richard on being part of that Canadian side :clapping03: :clapping03: Not only done himself and his country proud but he's also an Inverness player in a major tournamanets SF :003:

That dissallowed goal is one of the worst refereeing decisions I have ever seen.  Did anyone notice that Hastings playing as number 11 was actually playing as a midfielder.  Why don't ICT try him in that postition.

That decision has Canadian fans going ape**** .... made even worse because this same ref has a history of making bad decisions against Canada including a shocker when they played Honduras in World Cup qualifying.

Hastings squad number is #11 but he wasnt playing as a midfielder, he was left side of central defence although he was getting a little further forward. However, it was interesting to note the commentators mentioning how he had been playing out of position from his favoured left back role and saying he had done well. The coach obviously thought so too as he played every game. Perhaps it also gives CC something to consider for ICT ?

Think any Semi-Final of whatever International Event similar to our own European Championships, Albeit the Gold Cup is Less Talent. Is still a great achievement for any player and should be recognised.

Have you actually watched much of the Gold Cup ? There is a fair bit of talent in there let me assure you even with newcomers Guadeloupe who have traditionally had their players picked by France. The MLS may not be the EPL or SPL and the Gold Cup may not be the Euros but its not a mickey mouse competition. Many of the players in a lot of the squads play in Europe and I have witnessed a few of the Americans and Canadians playing in the MLS - its not like comparing Highland League to SPL, more like bottom half of SPL to SFL1

The Canadian association's website is down, so I cant get the official team lines but I can assure you that RH was not playing in midfield. The side has been pretty settled throughout the competition with a back 4 of Jazic, Hastings, Hainault and Stalteri that started every game.

Lineup for Costa Rica (4-5-1)

G 22 Pat Onstad

D 3 Ante Jazic

D 11 Richard Hastings

D 5 Andre Hainault

D 7 Paul Stalteri

M 16 Martin Nash

M 14 Dwayne De Rosario

M 6 Julian de Guzman

M 13 Atiba Hutchinson

M 15 Patrice Bernier

F 9 Rob Friend

Lineup for Guadeloupe (4-5-1)

G 1 Greg Sutton

D 3 Ante Jazic

D 11 Richard Hastings

D 5 Andre Hainault

D 7 Paul Stalteri

M 16 Martin Nash

M 14 Dwayne De Rosario

M 6 Julian de Guzman

M 13 Atiba Hutchinson

M 15 Patrice Bernier

F 10 Ali Gerba

Lineup for Haiti (4-5-1)

G 22 Pat Onstad

D 3 Ante Jazic

D 11 Richard Hastings

D 5 Andre Hainault

D 7 Paul Stalteri

M 20 Chris Pozniak

M 14 Dwayne De Rosario

M 6 Julian de Guzman

M 13 Atiba Hutchinson

M 18 Issey Nakajima-Farran

F 9 Rob Friend

Lineup for Guatemala (Q-F) (4-5-1)

G 22 Pat Onstad

D 3 Ante Jazic

D 11 Richard Hastings

D 5 Andre Hainault

D 7 Paul Stalteri

M 16 Martin Nash

M 14 Dwayne De Rosario

M 6 Julian de Guzman

M 13 Atiba Hutchinson

M 15 Patrice Bernier

F 10 Ali Gerba

Lineup for USA (S-F) (4-5-1)

G 22 Pat Onstad

D 3 Ante Jazic

D 11 Richard Hastings

D 5 Andre Hainault

D 7 Paul Stalteri

M 16 Martin Nash

M 14 Dwayne De Rosario

M 6 Julian de Guzman

M 13 Atiba Hutchinson

M 15 Patrice Bernier

F 10 Ali Gerba

Interesting to note these positive comments about RH on the main Canadian fan site (Voyageurs) after the disgrace of the USA game.

"A game-breaking wrong call like that can either crush a team or make them stronger, and it looked to me from the players' reactions that this one is going to make them stronger. They were angry, but not broken. They looked full of confidence and pride. Hastings was rallying the troops like a real leader - just for that (and his steadily improving play game-in and game-out at centre back) I'd have him on the World Cup qualifying squad if I was picking the team."

"Full props to Richard Hastings - he actually showed he could be a legitimate centre-back option out there today."

"Have to say a collective "we were wrong" to players like Onstad and Hastings, who nobody here, or with very few exceptions in Hastings' case, had in the mix. We were mostly wrong, these guys were so solid."

On the video of the Costa Rica game the line is as follows:

22 Onstad

5 DeGuzzman

13 Hutchinson

3 Jazic

15 Brernier

16 Nash

7 Stalteri

11 Hastings

9 Friend

14 DeRosario

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaPuFSBPt0K

The line up for Canada is at 4:34

I cant access youtube at work but thats a strange lineup (and only has 10 players BTW), but did you actually watch the game ? Once again, let me assure you that he did NOT, let me repeat that did NOT, play in midfield. This is a comment made by one of the supporters on the supporters site .... "Fantastic game all around. I liked how Stalteri and Jazic were getting forward a lot and the pairing of Hainault and Hastings was alright. I was just glad that it wasn't the Sportsnet lineup that they introduced the show with with DeGuz as CB and Hutch as LB."

Have you actually watched much of the Gold Cup ? There is a fair bit of talent in there let me assure you even with newcomers Guadeloupe who have traditionally had their players picked by France. The MLS may not be the EPL or SPL and the Gold Cup may not be the Euros but its not a mickey mouse competition. Many of the players in a lot of the squads play in Europe and I have witnessed a few of the Americans and Canadians playing in the MLS - its not like comparing Highland League to SPL, more like bottom half of SPL to SFL1

1stly, Admittedly No I havent watched any of it :003:

2nd point, I never claimed it was a micky mouse competition, far from it, I apologise for any misunderstand, I should have maybe rephrased what i said as "Many of the teams have less talent or lesser known players", by that I mean the smaller carribean nations such as Haiti, I know the USA, Mexico, Canada have players dotted around all over Europes leagues whether its Olivier Occean, Marcus DeBeasley or Richard Hastings, the point was though they are not the Materazzi's, the Raul's, the Beckham's, or Ronaldo's that is in the European Championship but it is a similar competition being the Continents Big International Football/Soccer event and that getting to the Semi-Final and final as Richard did years ago is a great achievment. :003:

3rd and final point, You would agree it is overall less talented and lesser known players than in terms of the European Championships in which i was highlighted for more or less saying?  :004:

Sorry points sound rude :015: , but computers frighten me, so didnt want to try attempting to quote between points :003:

3rd and final point, You would agree it is overall less talented and lesser known players than in terms of the European Championships in which i was highlighted for more or less saying?  :004:

Lesser known yes, but not necessarily lesser talented. There are some quality individuals in some of the teams but because they arent playing with a fashionable international side or alongside the Raul's, Beckhams or Ronaldo's of this world (although some of them will be playing alongside Beckham in a couple of weeks) they dont get noticed as easily.

Overall, I would say my estimation is that a team like Scotland would probably do very well in this competition but equally, they could also quite easily go out to the likes of USA (Fifa rank=16), Mexico (26) or even Canada (who jumped up 38 places in the FIFA rankings this month to 56 while Scotland dropped 9 to 23rd).

True Scotland would do well in it and as you say quite possibly get knocked out by USA, Mexico or Canada.

As for Fifa Rankings...Hee Haw! Games on different continents are never played at the same times and the standard of opponents all around the world in each competition means teams get more movement up and down it than a jumping on a bouncy castle in a winter storm.

Guest samuelbarros

True, but if you then allow the recording to continue and watch the match highlights, you'll see Richie taking up his place on the left side of central defence for the duration of the match.

1. Go onto YouTube and type in Canada vs Costa Rica

2. At roughly 4mins 34 secs the Canadian line up comes up which clearly says:

11. Midfield Richard Hastings

Which part of the question DID YOU WATCH THE MATCH did you not understand ??? If you had watched it you would have realised what samuelbarros posted is exactly what happened .... and what the Canadian fans posted on the other site that I reproduced in one of my postings.

In other words .... the TV station got it wrong !!! Most TV stations over here barely knew the game existed 12 months ago and are not exactly experts in the game let alone the players !!!

Guest adammac

I watched many of the Canadian Gold Cup games and he had a decent run out with the national side playing in the CB position.

• 2 weeks later...

10CC in the Highland News:

"It was quite interesting that Richard Hastings played every minute of Canada's Gold Cup campaign and he played at left centre half and had a terrific competition by all accounts, so it shows that we do have options."