FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Improving the matchday experience at TCS

old caley girl

ICT should run an open mics competition, perhaps in conjunction with Orion or MFR to find a local committed stadium announcer. Perhaps targeting media students from wannabe radio presenters and any local budding DJ's or indeed anyone who thought they were up to it. It could be pre match / half time entertainment with the club and fans voting for their favourite. The incentive to apply, watching ICT at home for free perhaps a pie and bovril at half time and a Platform to make a name for yourself. Free to do, easy to publicise and would probably generate a better outcome than we currently have.

• Agree 1

There's more than one way to balance the books and if a club cannot keep prices at a level which is affordable and sustains the fan base then it is a sign that they are spending too much. The answer to that is to trim costs, not increase ticket prices.

Fear not Donald! I am perfectly aware of your alternative option but by far the biggest potential to cut costs would in slashing the player pool, what players could be paid and hence the quality of player that could be attracted. On the other hand if you REALLY want to cut costs in order to reduce admission prices, maybe part time football would be an even better option.

The reality is that you can't escape from football's bottom line which is that in the full time game you pay players seven days a week but you bring in revenue once a fortnight.

If that's the deal on offer, then it's inevitable that those who are prepared to pay for it will unfortunately have to do so handsomely.

It's not an "alternative option"....it's the only option if we want to have a club to support in the future.

As I said, what we're doing now is no longer working, we couldn't bring in our core support to a match which some people still believe is a "High Profile" game....they are kidding themselves. Give me one good reason why she would continue down the same path?

What you are effectively saying is that the players are more important than the fans....and that is the root of everything that is wrong with the game right now.

Lower League Football and a Club to Support in the Future...or SPL Football for a couple of years and then nothing...I know which I prefer. And let's face it, we won't be the only ones forced into making that decision...some will have the balls to make the unpopular but correct decision and the rest will disappear into a financial black hole. Let's not be like sheep and follow them in!!!

Dismissing something, coz it didnt pay off while Playing lesser teams is not a good judge of whether something would work or not. Have to try it across the board. If i was chairman of ICT....id be happier taking in £60k with 5000 bums on seats than i would taking in £60k with 4000 bums on seats.

Yes but how do you know you'll get that extra thousand bums? And the more people you have the more the cost to police them.

Does it really though? Can we not just stay with the same numbers of police, if we are talking about lower half of the league teams.

There have been police free SPL games this season, one involving us I think away to Motherwell? So we don't really need them at all!

I was not at the Celtic game but I did do the 6 hour round trip to watch the 0-0 against St.Mirren the previous weekend.

Cost of diesel = £50, Cost to park at TCS = £2, Cost for Adult & Concession in the Main Stand = £47, Cost of 2 Scotch Pies (no Steak pies left) = £3.80...

...value of an uninterrupted day out with my 15 year old son = £priceless. :lol:

• Agree 1

ICT should run an open mics competition, perhaps in conjunction with Orion or MFR to find a local committed stadium announcer. Perhaps targeting media students from wannabe radio presenters and any local budding DJ's or indeed anyone who thought they were up to it. It could be pre match / half time entertainment with the club and fans voting for their favourite. The incentive to apply, watching ICT at home for free perhaps a pie and bovril at half time and a Platform to make a name for yourself. Free to do, easy to publicise and would probably generate a better outcome than we currently have.

Forget all that, just get CaleyD back. he did well last time out, and at least he sounded alive!

• Agree 1

CaleyD

Get a bit of banter going between the sections/stands to see who can make the most noise,

I love this idea...

Down at Fir Park, there was a great bit of this exact thing aimed towards Roman Golabart.

Whenever the guy made so much as touched the ball, particularly after a good challenge or bit of skill, one section would shout 'Goooolobart', with the other repeating replying 'Goooolobart'.

It's much the same as the start of 'Oh Inverness' with someone in effect leading the crowd to be repeated before an all-together rendition...

• Agree 1

Dismissing something, coz it didnt pay off while Playing lesser teams is not a good judge of whether something would work or not. Have to try it across the board. If i was chairman of ICT....id be happier taking in £60k with 5000 bums on seats than i would taking in £60k with 4000 bums on seats.

Yes but how do you know you'll get that extra thousand bums? And the more people you have the more the cost to police them.

Does it really though? Can we not just stay with the same numbers of police, if we are talking about lower half of the league teams.

There have been police free SPL games this season, one involving us I think away to Motherwell? So we don't really need them at all!

I dont think I've ever been to a game where there hasn't been some sort of police presence but its not so much the guys in chequered hats I'm referring to but the whole security and crowd control. I'm led to believe that there is a laid down ratio of stewards to crowd at any venue.

Edited by Alex MacLeod

I love this comment on the bottom of the Toronto FC pricelist:

http://www.goltv.ca/...-SINGLEMar8.pdf

Seat Holders in these sections will be permitted to stand persistently throughout matches, as well as use

pre-approved flags, banners and drums. For those who would like to sit in these sections, it's important to understand that their view may be obstructed during the match.

In-game atmosphere is huge .... I have been to TFC games where the team were crap, and where they got royally rogered but I came away with a smile on my face because of the banter that was flying around amongst the fans !!! Conversely, I have been to games where we won and played well but the atmosphere was flat and the fans felt that way too !!!! I have encountered the same at ICT too !!!

Other than that, I think more thought should be given to pre-game and post-game entertainment to make it more of a day out. Forget half-time, no-one cares, they're all too busy talking to each other or trying to grab that elusive pie or bovril !

At TFC there is what amounts to a street festival outside the stadium before every game with vendors, freebies, and things like beat the goalie or other games to engage the kids (while the stall staff try to sell the adults something or get them to signup for something) !!! These vendors/sponsors presumably pay for a spot there before games so far from costing the club money, it generates it !

After the game, the same occurs (to a lesser extent) and quite often one of the team sponsors may be giving out freebies at the exits .... believe it or not, I have headed home from TFC games not only with things like pennants, little flags, keyrings or beanie hats, but also with boxes of Frosties and packs of Spaghetti !!!!!! This sort of thing costs the club nothing !!!

Wonder whether ICT could have something like this near the front of the stadium, charge local/small vendors, food vans, or sponsors to come sell their wares in what would amount to a "market" kind of idea ...... a few quid from the vendors, more choice for the fans, and an opportunity to maybe generate more income from an hour or two either side of the game rather than just from 3-5pm ???

• Agree 1

Mr Bannnerman, pardon my ignorance but it would be interesting to know just what percentage of the ICT income is paid out to Directors and shareholders?

You appear to have a very ' capitlistic ' attitude towards the financing of the club so I just thought you might be aware of such matters and if so is this a line that could be looked into as regards making some savings that could be put towards reductions in entrance prices.

There is no doubt in my mind that cost is the biggest obstacle to getting bums on seat in the stands, those fans who have been shouting this 'cause' should be listened to and all avenues of cost cutting reviewed.

The more fans behind the club, through the turnstyles, the more support the team will have and better the effort the team wiil give.

Scotty makes some interesting comments, amongst which, the idea of 'freebies' is one which is well worth a follow up especially as regards the youngsters. Get them in cheaply and give them something every now and then for going there and you are building up the next generation fan base, one which I sincerely hope will be alot less apathetic and more vociferous in there support than a large proportion of the present generation.

Media and reporters too could do far more to take a lead in the promotion of the team. The joint teams of Inverness Thistle and Caledonian have come a long long way from the days of their Highland league rivalry. Do the Invernesians really know this, are they being told this? Remember the adage tell them what you are going to tell them, tell them, then tell them again. The message will get accross eventually and the enthusiasm of the old days will come back.

CaleyD

Get a bit of banter going between the sections/stands to see who can make the most noise,

I love this idea...

Down at Fir Park, there was a great bit of this exact thing aimed towards Roman Golabart.

Whenever the guy made so much as touched the ball, particularly after a good challenge or bit of skill, one section would shout 'Goooolobart', with the other repeating replying 'Goooolobart'.

It's much the same as the start of 'Oh Inverness' with someone in effect leading the crowd to be repeated before an all-together rendition...

goooolobart!!

we should do it again but go opposite ends of the stands and then youd have a middle section of quiet people who cant get peace from us.

Our stadium announcer should try what they do at german clubs. When reading out the home team the announcer will say the first name of the player and all the fans shout out the 2nd name. Such as, Announcer: Number 1 Ryyyan, Fans: Esson!, Announcer: Number 3 Ross, Fans: Tokely! You get the idea. And as this is before the start of the game it is going to get everybody vocal and hopefully lead to a better atmosphere. The announcer will also do this when a goal is scored and at a substitution.

Lower League Football and a Club to Support in the Future...or SPL Football for a couple of years and then nothing...I know which I prefer.

We were incredibly lucky to be able to bounce back the first time - surely you aren't seriously saying that to be in the lower leagues and drawing 1,000 - 1,500 each week (if that) to watch Alloa, Airdrie, Morton et al is the way ahead (or back...)?? Economically the SPL is the only place to be in Scottish Football, relegation again would kill ICT stone dead.

How to improve the matchday experience and save Scottish Football? Relatively simply I'd say. Switch to summer football with cheaper ticket prices and suddenly you'd see a lot more positivity around the game. It's hard to be enthused and positive when it's near freezing and you're perched on a cold plastic seat. It's even harder to motivate yourself to go back week after week when you're being skinned so much for the privilege. SKY TV would bite the SPL's hand off to have live football during the summer and if tickets were at a realistic level then there would be much more possibility 'floating fans' would be convinced to take a game in when it is still light and relatively warm. Ideas like Scottys would become feasible as people would want to be out and enjoying the better weather rather than scurrying to and from the stadium to avoid spending any longer than the absolute minimum time outside.

It won't happen though and Scottish football will continue losing the next generation of fans and no amount of jovial announcers, Police free games, half time entertainment or whatever is going to stop the slide.

• Agree 1

Mr Bannnerman, pardon my ignorance but it would be interesting to know just what percentage of the ICT income is paid out to Directors and shareholders?

As a shareholder, I can answer at least one bit of your main question .... payment to shareholders is ZERO ! Have had my shares since the first share issue and never had a penny from them ..... not that I wanted any return, nor did I expect it !

I think the answer is mostly similar for directors .... although there may be legitimate out of pocket expenses happening. Directors also purchase their season tickets each year as far as I am aware (unless things have changed) .... no freebies there !

Our stadium announcer should try what they do at german clubs. When reading out the home team the announcer will say the first name of the player and all the fans shout out the 2nd name.

Yeah I've seen it done on the continent and it can be quite effective. Although I fear the TCS version would end up as:

Number 1, Ryan................................. :tumbleweed:

Number 3, Ross.................................. :tumbleweed:

etc

• Agree 2

Our stadium announcer should try what they do at german clubs. When reading out the home team the announcer will say the first name of the player and all the fans shout out the 2nd name. Such as, Announcer: Number 1 Ryyyan, Fans: Esson!, Announcer: Number 3 Ross, Fans: Tokely! You get the idea. And as this is before the start of the game it is going to get everybody vocal and hopefully lead to a better atmosphere. The announcer will also do this when a goal is scored and at a substitution.

what happens if you have two players with the same name !!!!

announcer jooohny fans haaayes announcer nooooo tuuuffey

Our stadium announcer should try what they do at german clubs. When reading out the home team the announcer will say the first name of the player and all the fans shout out the 2nd name.

Yeah I've seen it done on the continent and it can be quite effective. Although I fear the TCS version would end up as:

Number 1, Ryan................................. :tumbleweed:

Number 3, Ross.................................. :tumbleweed:

etc

Yup, we just lack that German sense of fun :shrug:

• Agree 1

You appear to have a very ' capitlistic ' attitude towards the financing of the club so I just thought you might be aware of such matters and if so is this a line that could be looked into as regards making some savings that could be put towards reductions in entrance prices.

Media and reporters too could do far more to take a lead in the promotion of the team. The joint teams of Inverness Thistle and Caledonian have come a long long way from the days of their Highland league rivalry. Do the Invernesians really know this, are they being told this? Remember the adage tell them what you are going to tell them, tell them, then tell them again. The message will get accross eventually and the enthusiasm of the old days will come back.

Bughtmaster... unfortunately it's only now that I'm able to reply to your earlier post, but as a local journalist who follows ICT's financial affairs more closely than most, I can now get down to responding to the two parts quoted above.

On the first point, Scotty has already confirmed that the percentage of ICT's income going to directors and shareholders is, and always has been, ZERO - apart from a period of about two years late in the last decade when the Director of Football's job was regarded as a paid post within the club and annual remuneration in the £40K bracket was paid. This has since been discontinued. The notion of a shareholders' dividend is inconceivable and the directors, other than the above exception, have never been paid either. On the contrary, over the years a number of them have contributed significantly to club finances. I'm not sure what you mean by "capitalistic" but Caley Thistle is a business like any other football club and needs to pay its way and live within its means, otherwise it will go bust. As a result it needs to charge for what it provides (a team playing on the park) at a level consistent with what it costs to provide that. However football clubs tend to be especially lucky since, unlike other businesses, there seem to be quite a few rich people out there who seem to be prepared to subsidise their activities - and hence also the ticket prices they need to charge to stay in business.

Moving on to your second point, I have to stress that it is not the primary role of the media (apart from in-house publications) to act as cheerleaders for football clubs. The media are there to report objectively on what is going on but in so doing they also generate a vast amount of publicity for clubs, keeping them very much in the public eye and hence in the market. In practice, as the only reporter who has reported on the club since (before!) its founndation, I think I can say that ICT has had a great deal of extremely helpful coverage from the local media since day one.

And any Invernessian who doesn't know that huge progress has been made in local football since 1994 must have been asleep with Rip van Winkle in the Catskill Mountains for the last 18 years! However, personally I am not backward at coming forward with that very viewpoint and indeed did so in my Highland News "Sportsview" column as recently as January 12th, to mark the 18th anniversary of the election of ICT (and indeed Ross County) to the SFL.

It only takes a very brief look at the back pages of the HN, the Inverness Courier or the PandJ or a quick listen to local radio to appreciate that the density of local media coverage of ICT - usually very positive because the club has done very well - is vast.

However if the club feels that it has additional positive messages which it would like to get out there, then it is very free to send these to the local media in the form of extra press releases.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

what happens if you have two players with the same name !!!!

announcer jooohny fans haaayes announcer nooooo tuuuffey

Or CLAAUUDE! ...........................

GNA?.. NAP?..NAK?..GAK?.. NOKPAA? EH?

May I put a combined reply to Scotty and Charles Bannerman.

Thank you both for clearing up those points, No offence meant in any way. My aim was to start people thinking of ways and means of getting prices lowered for today's youth through cost cutting and through publicity.

It is a far cry now from when as a boy I paid my sixpence every Saturday at Telford Street to hear the thrill of the then annoucer on the tannoy giving out 'today's Teams' :-

Bruce, Mcgillvray, Galloway, Bolt, Mckinnon and Macintosh, long pause for the noise to lessen then Mc Beath, _ _ _ Galloway. then a roar that drowned out the names of the visitors !!!...............Perhaps on another thread someone would like to fill in the names of the other three forwards as I have once again deviated from this thread.

it's an age thing!!!!!!!! :shrug: ..................Do We still have the football times newspaper???? I have been in exile a long time :ponder: