FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Team for Final

Guest Mahonio

The team largely picks itself apart from a choice between Foran, Tansey, Draper and Vincent.  Two in the holding and one in the advanced.  Normally Vincent up front but he's not really done anything since injury.  I don't think Tansey has that pace, so I'd go for Draper there, with Tansey and Foran behind.

Williams  -  Watkins  -  Doran might also be an option but I think Williams more as a substitute if we're chasing the game.

The defence picks itself, in Warren's absence - Brill, Raven, Devine, Meekings and Shinnie.

Mckay up front obviously.

I think there's a good chance that Vincent was rested last night because he will start on Sunday, which is fine by me.  In my opinion we've been best this season when Vincent has been playing between midfield and attack.  He has such a great engine, and a terrific knack for being in the right place to pick up loose balls.  He is capable of providing quick support for Mckay or of becoming an extra midfield player as is needed.  If we play Foran in that position, he doesn't cover enough ground and it probably becomes a 4-4-2, which leaves us a man short in the centre of the pitch.

Assuming he's fit, Doran is a certain starter.  I always feel he is more effective in combination with Raven on the right, but playing Watkins gives us more height and an alternative option for Brill and the defenders to aim at if they need to go long.  Therefore I'd have Doran on the left, Watkins on the right, and Nick Ross unfortunately misses out because I think there's too big a chance that the game will pass him by.

That leaves space for two central midfielders, and Foran, Draper and Tansey to choose from (if you think Polworth should be anywhere near the lineup then you need your head examined).  Foran simply has to play, not least because of the leadership he provides. He also offers an aerial presence in an attacking and defensive sense.  I tend towards Draper's physical presence rather than Tansey's passing ability...as long as there is a plan in place to stop Pawlett getting behind our midfield with the ball at his feet.

So, in conclusion:

Brill

Raven

Devine

Meekings

Shinnie

Draper

Foran

Watkins

Vincent

Doran

Mckay

Subs: Esson, Tremarco, Tansey, Williams, Ross

Edited by hislopsoffsideagain
  • Agree 1

- Brill -

- Shinnie - Meekings - Devine - Tremarco -

- Draper - Tansey -

- Ross - Foran - Doran -

- Mckay -

Subs: Esson, Raven, Polworth, Williams, Watkins, Christie, Evans. (If only 5 take out Polworth and Evans)

Still trying to keep it tight as Aberdeen are a far better team than Hibs at the moment.. Maybe a lack of width too. Not sure what to do defensively. Would like Tremarcos more defensive game and not sure about Raven recently.

We have to go 4-2-3-1 though. 4-4-2 is outdated. Mike Bassett kind of stuff that.

I tend towards Draper's physical presence rather than Tansey's passing ability...as long as there is a plan in place to stop Pawlett getting behind our midfield with the ball at his feet.

Great post and fully agree with this. Imagine Pawlett getting the freedom that was afforded to United on Sunday!?

• Agree 1

...agree with just about everything being said here, but Yogi is going to go 4-4-2 which will be a disaster on one of the widest pitches in Scotland. Hope I'm wrong, but that is what he has indicated. Can somebody get to him please?

Brill

Raven - Devine - Meekings - Shinnie

Draper - Foran

Watkins - Tansey - Doran (if fit) or Ross

McKay

Subs: Esson, Tremarco, Williams, Christie, Ross or Vincent (if Doran isn't fit)

I think Yogi has to revert back to the 4-2-3-1 for the final and I would hope the players have told him that they prefer that too. The line up I'd go for is the same as many on here:

Brill

Raven Devine Meekings Shinnie

Draper Foran

Watkins Tansey Doran

McKay

Subs: Esson, Tremarco, Ross, Vincent, Williams

I think most fans would be happy with this but I am not sure its what yogi is going to go with

The Twitter person 'Mr Fly On The Wall' is reporting that Doran has been dropped for the final.  Interesting that the word dropped is used and not out injured or something, providing it's true of course.

Brill

Raven Devine Meekings Shinnie

Draper Tansey

Doran Foran Vincent

Mckay

Subs - Esson, Tremarco, Watkins, Ross, Williams

As we all know, if you flood the midfield, you knock Rooney out of the game.  Vincent is at left wing to try and do that.  Also, 4-4-2 would be cut through by Robson and Flood like a hot knife through butter, so 4-2-3-1, so something else that dominates the midfield is a must.  Finally, we must look to put Aberdeen under pressure.  When they're defenders have the ball, look to close them down.  When the danger men have the ball, take them out.  Keep the ball and get it into areas where we can hurt Aberdeen.  As Jack Charlton used to say "Put 'Em Under Pressure' - that's the bottom line.

Hopefully Yogi doesn't try his five men on the half-way line when defending corners tomorrow, which he considered when we beat them 1-0 at Pittodrie.