FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

PFA Manager of Year Nominees

Alex MacLeod

good shout for all of them ... Deila is there because Celtic will win the league but he is the weakest candidate IMHO. McInnes has got Aberdeen to second in the table and we are all biased towards Hughes of course ... and Robbie Neilson has traversed what could have been a D1 (oops 'championship') minefield .... If it was based on second half of the season Hughes might struggle to get nominated while Jim McIntyre could be in with a shout !

I think what Hearts have done is great, but let's face it...they were in a league where 5 teams are part-time and a 2 are still self-harming (3 if you include Livi).

Don't agree with shouts for the inclusion of Hartley either.  Dundee have, as can be seen from recent accounts, been over-spending (again) and that should NEVER be rewarded. Same can be said for Ross County.

IMO, nominations should be made up from Managers who have achieved beyond that which could be expected based on the resources available. So, from the Premiership this season, that's pretty much only ourselves and St Johnstone.  All others are about where you'd expect them to be or lower.

Probably would have been other suitably deserving nominees from the lower leagues. QotS & Stranraer kinda stick out as over achieving this season, but I don't follow those leagues enough to really say for sure.

For me it's between Yogi and Neilson and it's very difficult to choose between them. McInnes has done an outstanding job but with much better resources than Yogi.

Despite Hearts going into administration they have made some pretty class signings this season, Sow, Zeefuik, Keatings, Ozturk, Eccersley, Buaben, Gomis. These are all players who are more than good enough for the SPL and so maybe we should've been expected that Hearts would dominate that league, but the style of play by which they did it means no-one would grudge Robbie winning the award.

Yogi meanwhile has had nothing to work with. He inherited a squad which everyone thought was already playing above themselves, only to change the style of play (which is a massive risk when the team was already playing well under Butcher's style) and make the team better. The semi-final was the cherry on the cake for me. Even with the ref decision taking the shine off it, our short passing game was ideal to take advantage of having the extra man and IMO we haven't got the credit we deserve for beating Celtic by being brave enough to get on the ball and pass it. 

Hard one to call, Neilson building a squad and implementing a good style of play whilst dominating the championship vs Hughes working with what he was given and implementing an attractive style of play, finishing 3rd (fingers crossed) and winning the scottish cup (fingers crossed). 

Call me biased, but for me....Yogi wins hands down for me. He steered his team to a National Final, hopefully a 3rd place finish and potentially taken the team into Europe, all with extremly limited resources

• Agree 4

As an ICT fan I agree for the calls on Yogi but objectivly

Delia has won the league and the league cup in his first season so in all accounts has been highly successful in delivery of trophies (even without a treble)

Nielson has taken up a team although quite impressive who are an SPL side and only there for external reasons, you can only beat what is infront of you but has his winning a lower league trumped larger status competitions?

McInnes - he has taken a team into 2nd in the league but they have bottled it and never beaten the champions or won anything. Does finishing 2nd in a league with the 2nd biggest club constitue a success?

Yogi has taken a club with small fanbase (possibly the smallest of 2nd smallest in the league) to 3rd place and a national cup final, but as yet has won nothing and not secured a Euro place. If he does these I agree for the calls for him to win.

Based on my view of the above I think Deila will win it, but I would like Yogi to get recognition for his achievements and hard work

Dick Campbell at Forfar should have been in with a shout. Tipped to be relegated but on the brink of automatic promotion. But I do think Yogi should win it if we win the cup but as its decided before then I don't know who will win.

Ask this question - how successful would McInnes, Neilson and Deila been if they had managed ICT instead of Yogi? McInnes is a whinger, Neilson is fresh faced and very good but would not have achieved the turnaround at ICT that Yogi has achieved, and Deila is a nice guy but backed by millions and millions of pounds.

I like Delia but he should not be in the running IMO.

I want Yogi to win, obviously, but I do think Neilson will win it.  I'd not get my knickers in a knot if he did.  Both Yogi and Neilson are very deserving of the award for me.

I'd rather Yogi had a Scottish Cup winners medal (does the manager get a medal?!) than a manager of the season award.

Edited by KingBeastie

Has to be our John.

Tremendous achievement to turn round the players to an entirely different shape and style of play.

To battle the unjust criticism and opposition to his coming into ICT by many of the Club's supposed supporters including the numbers who have

eaten humble pie on this forum and the few that still seem to think they were right in what they said.

To the unfailing loyalty to his players and management of the Club.

To his proving to be a very responsive,  honest, and articulate interviewee when other managers talked a load of bull s.

Most of all to have achieved so much on so little, 

His belief in his Team and himself has shone through and put the others in the shade.