FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

ICTFC Squad Update 21/22/23/

tm4tj

Our squad is much weaker this season than last.  Of the regulars from last season we've lost Deas, Allardice, Henderson and Mckay and none of them have really been replaced.  Deas hasn't been replaced at all, we've just not signed anyone in his position.  We have signed Charlie Gilmour in the middle where Allardice played but I'm not sure he is a similar player and isn't someone who is going to dominate in there the way Allardice did.  Henderson and MacKay both had pace and the ability to deliver a great ball in and while it's early days I'm not sure Brooks or Longstaff look comparable.

We are weaker in ever area and unless we make some excellent signings in the next few days I honestly think 8th is about the limit of our ambitions this season.  We've done well on loan in the last few years - Jamieson, McAlear, Chalmers, Pearson and the aforementioned Henderson and MacKay were all good contributors - so maybe we can use that market.

• Agree 1

On 8/25/2023 at 2:32 PM, ictchris said:

Our squad is much weaker this season than last.  Of the regulars from last season we've lost Deas, Allardice, Henderson and Mckay and none of them have really been replaced.  Deas hasn't been replaced at all, we've just not signed anyone in his position.  We have signed Charlie Gilmour in the middle where Allardice played but I'm not sure he is a similar player and isn't someone who is going to dominate in there the way Allardice did.  Henderson and MacKay both had pace and the ability to deliver a great ball in and while it's early days I'm not sure Brooks or Longstaff look comparable.

We are weaker in ever area and unless we make some excellent signings in the next few days I honestly think 8th is about the limit of our ambitions this season.  We've done well on loan in the last few years - Jamieson, McAlear, Chalmers, Pearson and the aforementioned Henderson and MacKay were all good contributors - so maybe we can use that market.

Can’t Charlie phone his buddies at parkhead and pull in some favours and get us a couple of decent 3rd pick players! Surely a couple of decades service has earned some credit!

Decent players available for loan have already been picked up. Couple that with who wants to join not just our geographical location, but a relegation fight and Doddsball.

Anyone we bring in needs to be experienced and up for a fight, no many guys like that at clubs needing loaned out. Young guys who are hungry work when it's going well but in a league of cloggers and hatchet men beatong relegation involves scrapping and being mentally tough.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, bdu98196 said:

Decent players available for loan have already been picked up. Couple that with who wants to join not just our geographical location, but a relegation fight and Doddsball.

Anyone we bring in needs to be experienced and up for a fight, no many guys like that at clubs needing loaned out. Young guys who are hungry work when it's going well but in a league of cloggers and hatchet men beatong relegation involves scrapping and being mentally tough.

‘League of cloggers’,

A masterful term and worthy to praise and mark on the forum.  I struggled over the past few years to find a word that captured the quality and standard of fare on display until you came up with this bdu98196!!

It summarises exactly the expected standard and type of football this league coughs up!

The recent shortfall in results might lead us to understand we don’t have enough ‘heft’ and thus need more robustness in the team if we are to compete with the more successful clogger teams in the league!

bc

Edited by big cherly

On 8/25/2023 at 2:32 PM, ictchris said:

The fact the season is a month old and we have not signed any kind of centre back speaks volumes for the management. Surely they know we need at least one CB. They probably knew Deas was leaving at turn of the year and have clearly been inept at sourcing a replacement, or even worse not thinking we may need one. Worrying times.

It used to be the mantra of the managers that we won't sign anyone unless they are better than what we already have, they didn't want bench warmers. Well, apart from Nathan Shaw, none of the other recent additions have set the team on fire, and I can't see how many of our youth players are not as good or not better than some of the players we sign, who will probably be gone by next season. 

My current take on the squad, by position:

Goalkeepers

Fine. A good solid number one and a cheap number two who we can just about get by with if Ridgers is injured/suspended/gets dropped for having a hissy fit with the manager. That's about as good as anyone in this division can afford at the position.

Right-back

There's been nothing so far from Davidson to suggest he is a better option than either Duffy (who Dodds seems to want to play at CB), Carson (who Dodds seems to want to play in midfield) or Hyde (who has struggled badly when deployed here in the past)

Left-back

Last season Harper looked better in a midfield role, and he is still more defensively suspect than I would like. Nicolson could have made a real push for this position before his injury, which is a blow. Delaney can cover here in an emergency, I guess. Not the biggest priority (see below) but I would love another LB so Harper can play higher up the pitch.

Centre-back

If we go through the season playing two of Devine (who has clearly lost confidence from not having a reliable partner beside him), Duffy and Delaney here then we could well be relegated. We need at least one and possibly two new central defenders in.

Central midfield

Welsh and Gilmour might be a decent first choice pairing. But if/when Welsh is out there seems to be a real drop-off. MacGregor might be a capable replacement but he's always injured too! The Carson-Gilmour combination doesn't seem to be working though. Hyde hasn't impressed when given the chance previously.

Attacking midfield/wide players

Obviously we are very lucky to have Shaw, but we don't seem to have adequately replaced Henderson or Daniel Mackay. It doesn't seem like Doran is up to two games a week (or even much more than cameos off the bench) any more. Longstaff is this season's Steven Boyd - a cheap option with potential (if we're lucky) to be a rough diamond. 

Attack

We don't seem to have a team with the quality to bring the best out of Mckay right now, so hard to know if he's in decline or just being let down. Dodds' tactics mean that Samuels and Brooks are almost always deployed wide, where it is clear neither are especially comfortable. Lodovica is the big target man you throw on when you're desperate and doesn't seem to offer enough to justify a bigger role.

For me, the priorities for new signings this week are:

1) Central defence - a new defence rather than a new defender please!

2) Another wide player

3) At least one starting quality full-back

• Agree 5

Max Anderson has signed on a season long loan.  5 starts last season for Dundee.....5' 5" midfielder.....I hope to god this is an inspired signing and also hope this is the first of a few more!

21 minutes ago, ymip said:

Max Anderson has signed on a season long loan.  5 starts last season for Dundee.....5' 5" midfielder.....I hope to god this is an inspired signing and also hope this is the first of a few more!

Seriously why are we allowing this dud of a manager to sign players . Wake up chairman the problem lies with Dodds . Are you lot not getting it?

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, caley1 said:

Seriously why are we allowing this dud of a manager to sign players . Wake up chairman the problem lies with Dodds . Are you lot not getting it?

The problem doesn't lie with Dodds, he's just the thin edge of the wedge. 

• Agree 3
  • Facepalm 1

Anderson is a tidy wee player with a bit of a combative streak. Just what we need from the sounds of things.

We still need improvements at the back however and perhaps another wide man as well. However, it feels like we've left things too late and we may need to muddle through with what we have.

On 8/27/2023 at 9:28 AM, Jaggernaut said:

It used to be the mantra of the managers that we won't sign anyone unless they are better than what we already have, they didn't want bench warmers. Well, apart from Nathan Shaw, none of the other recent additions have set the team on fire, and I can't see how many of our youth players are not as good or not better than some of the players we sign, who will probably be gone by next season. 

Delaney was getting good reviews and plaudits on this site last year, although his form tailed off when he got injured. I do think you've got to give the new boys time to settle in and blend together, we pretty much get this type of comment every year...I remember Ridgers being slated as 'not a proper goalkeeper etc' when he first came here. I thought Longstaff was lively against Airdrie when he came on, he virtually made our goal too. Obviously Lodovica doesn't have much of a pedigree, but I saw enough from him on Saturday to suggest he could be useful too us. I'm sure that Davidson and Gilmour will prove solid team players over time. Samuels is a bit hit and miss, but he needs games [how many I hear you ask! but he can be really dangerous, can composure be taught?]. Brooks is a very young player, he's developing, what I liked about him on Saturday was the runs he was making into dangerous areas [but no one was picking him out]

It's easy to forget how young many of our players are.

But we do need a wise head in the centre of defence

• Agree 2

Big Dundee fan I know messaged me to say Anderson's a good signing.  "Best in centre midfield but can play on wing too. Scores some good goals and a fair bit of experience now in both divisions".  Here's hoping.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ymip said:

Max Anderson has signed on a season long loan.  5 starts last season for Dundee.....5' 5" midfielder.....

We all know Scottish football is littered with successful players this size playing in a physical league of hatchet men. Sadly I feel this could be another boyd or samuels who physically can't compete at this level. Happy to be proven wrong of course.

Be happier with a 6ft plus commanding CB or two instead tbh but dodds seems to not like height in his team.

18 hours ago, hislopsoffsideagain said:

My current take on the squad, by position:

Goalkeepers

Fine. A good solid number one and a cheap number two who we can just about get by with if Ridgers is injured/suspended/gets dropped for having a hissy fit with the manager. That's about as good as anyone in this division can afford at the position.

Right-back

There's been nothing so far from Davidson to suggest he is a better option than either Duffy (who Dodds seems to want to play at CB), Carson (who Dodds seems to want to play in midfield) or Hyde (who has struggled badly when deployed here in the past)

Left-back

Last season Harper looked better in a midfield role, and he is still more defensively suspect than I would like. Nicolson could have made a real push for this position before his injury, which is a blow. Delaney can cover here in an emergency, I guess. Not the biggest priority (see below) but I would love another LB so Harper can play higher up the pitch.

Centre-back

If we go through the season playing two of Devine (who has clearly lost confidence from not having a reliable partner beside him), Duffy and Delaney here then we could well be relegated. We need at least one and possibly two new central defenders in.

Central midfield

Welsh and Gilmour might be a decent first choice pairing. But if/when Welsh is out there seems to be a real drop-off. MacGregor might be a capable replacement but he's always injured too! The Carson-Gilmour combination doesn't seem to be working though. Hyde hasn't impressed when given the chance previously.

Attacking midfield/wide players

Obviously we are very lucky to have Shaw, but we don't seem to have adequately replaced Henderson or Daniel Mackay. It doesn't seem like Doran is up to two games a week (or even much more than cameos off the bench) any more. Longstaff is this season's Steven Boyd - a cheap option with potential (if we're lucky) to be a rough diamond. 

Attack

We don't seem to have a team with the quality to bring the best out of Mckay right now, so hard to know if he's in decline or just being let down. Dodds' tactics mean that Samuels and Brooks are almost always deployed wide, where it is clear neither are especially comfortable. Lodovica is the big target man you throw on when you're desperate and doesn't seem to offer enough to justify a bigger role.

For me, the priorities for new signings this week are:

1) Central defence - a new defence rather than a new defender please!

2) Another wide player

3) At least one starting quality full-back

Pretty much nail on head. Thought Longstaff looked decent when he came on. Full of confidence and running.

4 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Pretty much nail on head. Thought Longstaff looked decent when he came on. Full of confidence and running.

Confidence and running...the latter should be standard for pros at this level, every player should be covering as much ground to support the forward play and getting back quickly when things break down.

The confidence part is more elusive, but if you're getting most of the running done then the rewards for the hard bit will contribute to building our fragile self belief. 

Looking forward to the excuse for the next few loses being that it takes new players time to settle in, and Dodds still proclaiming we've a good team that are just unlucky and needing a win to get confidence going.

3 hours ago, ictchris said:

RUmours that we will be signing a defender before the deadline.

Hopes :   28+ experienced left sided, no nonsense defender.

Reality:   19yr old right sided defender/Full back that canna get a game for Falkirk.

• Funny 3

3 hours ago, STFU said:

Looking forward to the excuse for the next few loses being that it takes new players time to settle in, and Dodds still proclaiming we've a good team that are just unlucky and needing a win to get confidence going.

The fact he said in his post match interview that he thought we started really well, tells me everything about his state of mind and complete and utter ineptitude, and that's me being kind. What did we do in the first 30 seconds before the goal that was so good 

• Like 1