FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Silence is golden??

Harry Chibber

I'd like to suggest this:

1. Get harry chibber and clacher holiday 2 a ruler each and settle it like men.

2.  Merge all the threads about CC into one "Clacher and Chibber present the great Charlie Christie debate sponsored by the International Insomniacs Accosiation" (or something shorter maybe) thread for use after every game instead of there being a "Silence is golden/It's all charlie's fault/vote of confidence/I told you christie was a rubbish appointment" thread every week.

3.  I did have a third point but I spent so long thinking up a title for the thread above i've forgotten what it was.

p.s. clacher you know fine well that it's Jason Orange that is the worst performer/signer in take that :016:

Although this thread was having a dig at at a few of the fandangos that were asking for Christie's job after the dunfermline game, my main point is still valid:

Why was there more posts last week when we had a bad result than this week when we pulled off the performance of the season??

Seems everyone is happier to see the team fail to win  :shrug01:

Its a question of perspective Harry .....

... perhaps more people commented on the Dunfermline game because they were actually there ? Not quite so many at Ibrox.

... perhaps more people commented on the Dunfermline game because the performance was shocking and not what we (or Charlie) expected.

... perhaps more people commented on the Dunfermline game because they got home earlier, were still angry, and needed to vent.

... perhaps more people commented on the Dunfermline game because there was prominence given to Charlie's after-match / dressing room comments in the press.

... perhaps less people have commented on the Rangers game (so far) because we didnt win it like we did the other two games against them  :004:

... perhaps less people have commented on the Rangers game (so far) because we have to a certain extent been spoiled over the years with success and sometimes become just a little blase

... perhaps less people have commented on the Rangers game (so far) because they couldnt get access to it. Silence is indeed golden if you live outside the UK when it comes to audio coverage of about 70% of SPL matches. There is no legal way to listen to many games and unfortunately, I havent come across any other ways either !! Apart from a couple of comments, I havent really said anything about the Rangers game because I couldnt see it, couldnt hear it and to be honest although happy with the result turned off Radio Scotland (where I had listened to Falkirk's game) soon after the roundups because I just couldnt be arsed - no coverage = no atmosphere = no interest.

Guest Suspicious Mind

My problem is simple.

I can't be ersed with perpetual negative heads who come on here to run people down constantly.

In the past I have questioned decision making, been critical of players performances, challenged the club's ambition etc. But on many other occasions I have given considerable praise when deserved and credit when due. Its a balanced approach!

So for all those who come on to defend the rights of those who only speak in times of gloom, talk down the club and the individuals involved, get real. With freedom of speech comes the right of reply. With rights come responsibilities.

It surprises me that such tough talking individuals "don't post here anymore" because people challenge their negativity. Its naive to expect to be able to run down a club that people are passionate about and not expect to get challenged.

It's threads like this that keep me sane.

Thanks H, CD, Scotty etc.

My problem is simple.

I can't be ersed with perpetual negative heads who come on here to run people down constantly.

In the past I have questioned decision making, been critical of players performances, challenged the club's ambition etc. But on many other occasions I have given considerable praise when deserved and credit when due. Its a balanced approach!

So for all those who come on to defend the rights of those who only speak in times of gloom, talk down the club and the individuals involved, get real. With freedom of speech comes the right of reply. With rights come responsibilities.

It surprises me that such tough talking individuals "don't post here anymore" because people challenge their negativity. Its naive to expect to be able to run down a club that people are passionate about and not expect to get challenged.

It's threads like this that keep me sane.

Thanks H, CD, Scotty etc.

Some very valid points there, i dont think anyone that posts on this site is against replying/arguing/debating negative posts but everyone has the right to post what they want be it negative or postive without being drawing into a slanging match for expressing their views. A factor which makes a site popular is healthy debate with good points on both sides however too often on this site anyone who puts a negative post up is either shot down or slated where debating or challening the point would be better for everyone.

I'm all for challenging posts, debating posts, even arguing posts as long as it does not descend into name calling or the singling out of posters whow choose to speak out against the status quo.

Criticism is healthy and is essential in the quest for progress, what is naive is to think that everything is rosy all the time. Criticism should not be criticised (if that makes sense) but as you say challeneged and debated.

No doubt there will be posters on the Man Utd website questioning whither Alex Ferguson will be able to face the next games and achieve the results they wish for - so maybe CC is in good company!!

As a reader and not much of a poster on here, I do enjoy the varying stances that are posted but must agree that negativity appears to be more popular than positive posts.  I do not feel that you must be at a match to offer a positive comment on the result especially when you are aware that it came about by astute substitution, according to the reports.

Just think back to the flack that CC received when he made the huge(?) mistake in his substitution choice against Celtic, according to the posters on here BUT as I have stated, this balance does not appear to be here when the situation is reversed.

I therefore have some sympathy with the topic heading.

As far as I can recall when CC was appointed to succeed CB, as many as 80% of the fans probably approved of the appointment... Judging by recent polls taken on this site he still has that support....

Unfortunately, given the first whiff of a poor performance or result the anti CC brigade are extremely quick to air their dissaproval..... As Absent Friend rightly points out the balance is never redressed given a decent performance or result...

Was it Abraham Lincoln who once said - "You can't please all the people all the time" ...? 

Time to draw a line under this now........

Was it Abraham Lincoln who once said - "You can't please all the people all the time" ...? 

No, that was me in the second post down on this page  :001:

:015: :015: I knew I had read that somewhere, recently.... Just couldn't remember where...!!  :022:

I left this thread open for a bit longer than I might as I felt that there were a few people who would want to contribute and for the most part they have. I think it is now time to close it and as suggested by a few 'draw a line under it'.

However, before closing the thread, I want to just say a few things ...

I am happy in the way the latter stages of this thread developed as I believe it is cathartic to have differences of opinion discussed out in the open in a rational manner. an open wound, although more painful, heals faster.

I accept that many of our users will have diametrically opposed viewpoints and I frequently find myself agreeing with either end of the spectrum depending on the actual issue in hand -- i.e. praise where its due, criticism if its warranted and not constant praise or constant criticism.

I accept that someone whose glass is always half-full (constant praise) and someone whose glass is always half-empty (constant criticism) will never agree but each of them are entitled to their viewpoint, and to post that viewpoint. Some will agree with them, some will disagree but both have an equal right to post.

I cannot accept the current situation where an increasing number of threads seem to be degenerating very quickly into personal abuse. Agree with someone, disagree with someone thats fine, ask them to prove their comments or give examples if they make what you consider to be rash statements but please dont go over the line and start namecalling, telling them they have no life, are pathetic or all sorts of other things I found when I made a point of going through some recent threads last night to investigate.

Its a fine line between 'assertive disagreement' and abuse and we (admin/mods) may have been guilty of not noticing a few people crossing that line with increasing regularity. We do our best to be as invisible as possible in our administration of each thread but from now on will have no problem in deleting, closing or moving threads or ultimately in imposing sanctions against those we feel have crossed the line. We would prefer the site and its users to be largely 'self-policing' with minimal interference from admin/mods but if that is not possible then we will take whatever actions we feel is best for the site as a whole.

Users need to accept some responsibility too !!! If you post something bashing the club, team or manager be prepared for the backlash that will follow as we are all ICT supporters here (or most of us are) and many will disagree with you. Equally, if you have your head in the sand and can never accept that the club, team or manager makes mistakes then you too will get a backlash from some although it will probably come from less people as we all want you to be right even if we realise that you arent.  However, irrespective of which 'camp' you fit into, unless you yourself are being abusive then you have a right to air your views without being subjected to abusive responses.

If you feel that someone has overstepped the mark in any particular thread you have a number of things you can do.

1. You can politely comment in the thread that you feel they have crossed the line and hope they apologise or 'calm down'.

2. You can email or message one of the admins/mods and we will review the thread or comments

3. If you find a particular poster is doing your head in every time they say something then you can put them on ignore !!!

Anyway ... I said I would draw a line under this whole topic .... so here it is ... right below this comment  :004: