FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Forum Log-In still treats me as a Guest?

Scotty

Are you about ready to sort the problem with the Log-In feature which invariably still tells me I am a guest only.

I have tried recording my user name and password repeatedly but have not yet been able to successfully establish an automatic log-in.

Can you please help a retired Senior .....? :029:

Scarlet, as has been explained before, the system we have in place works as it should (for the most part) and the fact you can't get it to work is more than likely an issue at your end and tinkering with it here won't make the slightest bit of difference if your browser settings are what's knocking it off.

It sounds very much to me as if you have something in place which is clearing your browser cookies.  IE has/had a setting to do this every time you shut it down and if that is activated then it will mean you have to log in each time you visit the site.

If we had dozens of people reporting the same problem then I'd be hunting it down to fix it, but as we're due to release the next version of the site in the next 3 to 4 weeks and we're not getting reports of this being a widespread issue then I'm afraid you'll just have to live with the inconvenience a little longer.

If it persists with the new forum software in place then I'll happily take the time to help you solve the problem (at least then we'll know for sure that it's your PC/Browser settings), but right now we're snowed under and with Scotty taking a well earned break I'm flying solo in trying to get the final niggles ironed out.

I agree with CaleyD here, it definitely sounds like your temporary data is being cleared.  I have seen this before but that was in a Client/Server environment where the user was logging in with a temporary profile and as such, when they logged off, the temporary profile deletes itself.

Caley D

I certainly clear my temporary files out very frequently.

However, I have always done that for a very long time in the past and for long periods of time last season I had no problem.

It was only at the end of the season that I started to experience this problem. At that time I posted a question about it on here and Scotty replied that it possibly was something to do with your end but it was not worth spending the time on it for last season's finale because the intention was to revise the whole system prior to the opening of season 2008/2009. I accepted that without question.

So, whilst respecting your comments and understanding what you are saying, I am now confused. I did write a brief note to Scotty a few weeks ago but did not receive a reply and so I thought that raising the issue again in this forum would be O.K.

Since you are very busy at the moment I am willing to forget it until the season opens and your changes are then fully in place. Otherwise I am willing to initiate any specific instructions or advice  you have to offer in the meantime.

Best regards  :022:

I found the Browser item to which you referred.

It is in Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options , Advanced--- and could be missed if you blink. It is described as  the function that deletes temporary files (not cookies) when the Browser is shut-down.

I de-ticked it and  then shut down the computer, restarted it and in the first try successfully automatically logged-in without having to insert user the name and password. I will keep you posted in due course as to the success rate.

However, if that was the browser setting that stopped my automatic log-in I can't help  wondering why on occasion it didn't work because  occasionally, intermittently,I would log in

and get in automatically with no requirement to insert user name/password?

Will keep you posted.

S.P.

Caley D

If you go to the thread "Log-in on the Home Page" you will see Scotty's  explanation that there may be a glitch due to a time issue between U.K. time and Canadian time. He also said that it would not be addressed/sorted until the new software is in place.

With me it might also be the fact that I delete all temp files regularly  via the methods I described in that thread.

So I am going to try a process of elimination using these temp. filed deletion methods since I am not completeley sure that eliminating the " browser temporary file delete every time the browser is shut down " feature is positively the root of the problem.

Thanks for your offer of further help at this time. Scarl :022:et.

That was slightly different I think Scarlet .... that was related to the fact that we currently use two pieces of software (forum / main website) which handled the change to the clocks differently and was getting confused for users outside the UK. In your case it was exacerbated by the fact that UK and Canadian clocks changed on different dates ....

The new system will not have a website login, only a forum login and it seems to handle timeshifts quite easily. However, as others have said above, if you actively delete cookies then no amount of tinkering this end will sort it as your login preference is stored in a cookie file on your machine. If you are hugely concerned about cookies and want to continue doing this, then you might want to invest in a password manager program such as roboform which can store all your passwords, bookmarks etc and log you in automatically when you go to a website.

• 1 month later...

If you go to the thread "Log-in on the Home Page" you will see Scotty's explanation that there may be a glitch due to a time issue between U.K. time and Canadian time. He also said that it would not be addressed/sorted until the new software is in place.

With me it might also be the fact that I delete all temp files regularly via the methods I described in that thread.

So I am going to try a process of elimination using these temp. filed deletion methods since I am not completeley sure that eliminating the " browser temporary file delete every time the browser is shut down " feature is positively the root of the problem.

Thanks for your offer of further help at this time. Scarl :022:et.

Hey Scarl, I'm having the same problem - even though I've ticked to have an automatic log-in "forever", I'm greeted as a "guest" almost every time I got to our site!

Did you find a method that "did the trick".

Jock.

Edited by JockWatt