FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Manager under scrutiny

absent friend

TM4TJ I don't think Absent Friend is a negative minded soul and wouldn't have posted this to start a lets be negative / have a go at Brew's weaknesses - thread.

It just seems to be the way (almost) every single thread on here has gone over the past few months.  The majority criticise brewster, Alex constantly tries to be (IMO overly) optimistic, Caley D has a continual go at the board/directors, IHE knows best, you tell people to stop whinning and Reedee15 spells everything wrong and puts two exclamation marks at the end of every sentence!!

I believe that this is all down to the fact that a large majority of the support never wanted brewster back at the club (most for football related reasons, some for the way he walked out previously, some for both) and the fact that the club don't seem to be running themselves as professionaly as many feel they should.  I've voiced my opinions on these matters more than once before on this board and will refrain from doing so again.

For what its worth many threads are (IMO) tiresome as they all seem to end up in the above pattern eventually but I feel that this is down to the fact that all of the supporters on these boards care about their football club and are concerned about the coming season and feel that their view/opinion counts for nothing.  Football fans are passionate creatures.

(I'm sure there is a point in there somewhere but I'd better get back to work!)  :sillywave: :016:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am aware of everything you say and agree entirely.

The title of the thread though is MANAGER UNDER SCRUTINY...........just another thread on the same topic.

Don't also forget when he left to go to United, he ensured ICT were well compensated.  He made an error going to United, he won't be so keen to do the same again.

Anyway, I am bored also, I'm off to watch some paint dry. :sillywave:

By the way, some people are still spelling definitely wrong :blah01:

The title of the thread though is MANAGER UNDER SCRUTINY...........just another thread on the same topic.

Don't also forget when he left to go to United, he ensured ICT were well compensated.  He made an error going to United, he won't be so keen to do the same again.

If you read this thread postings by me, you will note they, in the main, refer to tactics!

This, in my opinion, must, for the reasons given by me, be different from when the current manager came and took up the post part way through the season. I was canvassing opinions as to the effect this could have on our way of playing and at no time was this a negative thread, by me, on Brewster.

My thoughts on Brew are on this forum somewhere - I did not like his return due to the way he departed. His managerial skills I still question, but maybe the same was said by Man Utd  fans when they got their last manager!!

However to stop defending myself and returning to the thread, I feel that more positive use of the ball can be initiated by the keeper - a long punt must be a relief to him if he has been under pressure but if this then results in the ball being immediately returned, it does little to ease pressure AND stops the midfield from being involved, thereby negating football creativity(if one accepts that that is where the powerhouse of a team lies)  My answer- more use of thrown out balls with the target players being happy to receive and distribute the ball - but hey! I'm not a football manager but I am entitled to an opinion.

Hope this clears up my thinking on the matter, th4tj but no doubt there will also be some spelling mistakes for you to find, to undermine my views!

Regardless of what goes on between matches or in the dressing/board room, I'll say again that what Brewster needs to do is to take a leaf out of Smith's book and watch at least the start of the game from the stand. You don't play chess with your chin on the table.

I don't think that it matters too much where you watch the game from, the likes of Ferguson at Man Utd/Aberdeen hasn't done too badly whilst sitting in with the subs, or Stein, Shankly,Busby etc etc etc. I don't think sitting in the stand will somehow make Brewster more tactically aware or stop him playing players out of position.

He missed out the important bit!!

Now back to the thread.

Mr Absent you make a great point about goalies throwing the ball out.

In Mark Browns day he used to drive me bonkers hoilding on to the ball until all the players on the pitch had clicked back into their positions. I think Mickie may have learnt a bad habit here, but he's not as bad. Also defenders/midfielders should be looking for the ball so goalies are not entirely to blame.

However, the day Zibi played a full game his throwing out of the ball was perfection and a breath of fresh air.  I recall Schmecial playing for Man Utd used to ping the ball onto the wingers toe on the half way line and it was superb to watch and very effective.   

King Beastie likes to intone about moaning in the whin bushes  (must be the moan of the wind he hears) and ------ Manfer..tut,tut, you started a new sentence without a capital letter, whilst whinning about your mis-spelled name and misjudge our Absent without understanding that he was just trying to save letters, and trees in Canada. Do you need some help my dear?Once you try my new "help" manual it might become required reading in Manfer Hall and...."an acquired taste" .. :015: :004:

What is this forum coming tooooooo? Petty bickering over pedantics, misplaced words or grammar and poor spellnig. What abart some real meat and potatoes...like?

:sillywave:  from  Mooseville, B.C.

Away and get stuffed ya olde git.  You were correcting someone only last week or so on the word know, or no..........tut tut.

If I have to explain myself regarding the word definitely, Beastie will remember a conversation we had at Love Street, or maybe he won't as the cartons of coke were well laced with vodka.  In fact, he started the spelling probe in this thread.  I often start a sentence without a capital letter, especially if it is only a one liner.  If I add more I usually go back and stick a capital on it.  It's not a higher grade English examination.  And another thing, my laptop keyboard is broken and the temporary keyboard I am using smetimes misses out letters or spaces.  Poor excuse really, but the truth.

No problem with the questions on tactics, probably the one thing that will see plenty of differing opinions absent.  It was the thread title that I was scrutinising, sounded like another Brew bashing excercise.  My opinion of him for what it's worth............He is the manager, for good or bad and we should get behind him and the team.  I am ok with his appointment, somebody has to do the job and no matter who it is they will still be villified by some sections of the support.  I do tend to defend him at times as people who get criticised on here are not usually present to defend themselves and a lot of the criticism is ill advised.

Manfer--do you always speak to venerable seniors like that?  :015: Eh em shocked egad!

I am not OLD and you will have to GIT off yer high horse before yer blood pressure creams you.. eh em just slipping into a mellow seniority and I am  pleased that you were so touched by my banter so that you don't turn into a ranter. But Mr Al Zheimer has not yet breached meh defences so beware... even a scorpion has a sting in his tail. Meantime... :bighug:

Oops, yer slip is showing, but relax , I am just teasing you, young man. I must say I loved your innovative excuse about your laptop.There are times when I can forgive your cheekiness when you bring out these crafty gems of drollery but since you and I are on the same page about Brewster all is forgiven.  :002:

Well Mr Beastie - as I am the all knowdledged one - I would say that your third paragraph is spot feckin on. I reckon most of us would have wished for Brewster to have been blown away before the end of last season.

I would also concede that I agree with most of Caley D's post as well. Brewster had evidently lost the dressiing room last season and his arrogance borders on the ridiculous at times. He personalises things and allows his paranoia to filter into his management which is wrong. He made some glaring tactical errors last season - especially in the last 6-8 games.

I loved him as a player and as a coach from a fitness level but not a tactician or a manager. But as Mannie said he is at the helm and hopefully will put us in a good position before he inevitably gets the chop. I am just waiting for Sheare to move up to Number 2 and then the hypocrisy of the old school ties will be clear to all.

Guest WynessLegend

Whats the point of this thread.  The heading says the manager is under scrutiny.  From who?  A bunch of guys on a football forum who always think they know better?  This is just another opportunity for the anti-Brew brigade to stick the knife in further. 

Well said, what many of the regulars on this forum have to realise is that they are a very small group of people whose views to not represent the views of the ICT Support in general. Very far from it in my opinion.

Brewster is doing a good job, he has made some good signings with room for more before the season begins - particularly with the money raised through the sale of Niculae.

He deserves our full support for the first full season of his second spell in charge.

He deserves the recognition that it is not an easy job sourcing and attracting quality players to Inverness, given our geography and financial limitations.

This should be a supporters forum and would maybe attract a wider membership if it was - it has become a forum on which a small bunch of individuals who believe they have the managerial ability of Alex ferguson constantly deride the club.

Let's give Brewster and the club the support they deserve.

Perhaps it is an element of the "support" who should be put under scrutiny.

Guest birdog

Yous are always slanging of managment!

we all know brewster's not  best but can't we credit him on somethings!

He genuinely is a really nice guy, met him twice and would happily drink with him. His management is poor though, relatively inexperienced for his post, let's hope he has learned a trick or two for next season.

How's that?

A lot of fans come on the forum to gain information but remain silent when it comes to contributing.If they do not contribute by expressing their opinion then they have little to  complain about when it comes to assessing the opinions of others.

I am a firm believer in backing Brewster until he has had a FAIR chance to shine or fail. Right now we are at a critical point in the building of the team and negative criticism is pointless because he will not leave simply because  the moaners on here deride and slag him all the time.

What I find irritating is that negative critiscism is frequently never balanced with something positive as if Brew must be perfect and has no right to make any mistakes that bother these posters . If Brew never made a mistake  he would also never learn his most valuable lessons so that he and the team can improve and develop.

A mistake is nothing more than an opportunity to learn a hard lesson.The problem is that you are usually quite old before you are experienced enough to benefit from past mistakes . :016:

:cdn:The secret to allowing him to develop is to be patient and give the man a fair shake for goodness sake. C'mmmmmmmmooon! :rolleyes02:

Well SP I would agree with a lot of your comment IF the thread was set out as a Brewster negative!!

The thread, if you read it from the start, is related to the managers new season tactics now that he has his own team around him from the off!!

Where oh where is that Negative??

The manager will be under scrutiny, be me and others like me, to see if he has a fresh approach to play and God willing, to offer us some evidence of his improvement in the management game.  I would suggest that even at Man Utd, a new season brings on new changes in the way they play. Is it negative therefore to suggest that we also deserve this!

If a thread is later hijacked and goes off at a tangent, you can not blame the original author!!

what many of the regulars on this forum have to realise is that they are a very small group of people whose views to not represent the views of the ICT Support in general. Very far from it in my opinion.

You do have somewhat of a point as our daily count of "unique logged in member" visits (as opposed to page-views) represents only about 10% of the average fortnightly home crowd. However, from looking at info available to admin only, I have to say that there are also many "lurkers" who neither register or contribute but regularly trawl the forums.

I am under no illusions that we dont represent the views of all fans but then again we dont try to ... we write things as we see it on the main website whether it is good or bad and when it comes to the forum, everyone on here is entitled to their opinion so long as what they write doesnt breach our guidelines and that freedom applies equally to the "neggies", the "happy clappers" and anyone in between. We cant force people to come here and the excuse I have heard a few times that "I dont go there because its so negative" doesnt wash with me anymore ... If someone says that to me these days then my response is usually something like "If you think its negative, then do something about it, come on and be positive, submit some news stories that show the club in a good light, participate, argue your point, change people's minds .... ".

Brewster is doing a good job, he has made some good signings with room for more before the season begins - particularly with the money raised through the sale of Niculae. He deserves our full support for the first full season of his second spell in charge. He deserves the recognition that it is not an easy job sourcing and attracting quality players to Inverness, given our geography and financial limitations.

Whether he is doing a good job or not is a matter of opinion. I was very anti-Brewster to begin with but mellowed to the point of ambivalence towards the end of the season. Like many, I didnt believe he was the right man for the job, but the simple fact is that he is in it now and I agree he should have our support. However, that does not mean we cannot highlight our frustrations at where we think he gets things wrong or when some tactics seem crazy.

One thing I do not blame Brewster for in any way shape or form is the Niculae situation. Brewster did not sign him, and it has been rumoured that he may have been urged to play him when not fully fit, and as for now selling him, he himself has indicated that this was a decision that was totally out of his hands.

Perhaps you are right, with several players gone and Brewster signing his own replacements, then the time to judge him might be now. Based on who he has signed, I am still not sure. I like the fact that he has looked further afield than Dingwall for some players, I also like the fact that he appears to be giving youth a fighting chance with Wood, Vigurs, Duff, Kerr, Sutherland and Gillespie all coming into the first team squad and I like the idea that he is looking to get what appear to be quality loan signings like the boy Rooney. However, the other side of the coin are stories about the likes of Calum Elliot, Stevie Crawford etc that dont exactly inspire. The jury is still out on Djebi-Zadi. I hope his signings turn out really well ... I dont think any of us want to be saying "I told you so" as we languish in the 1st Division !!!

This should be a supporters forum and would maybe attract a wider membership if it was - it has become a forum on which a small bunch of individuals who believe they have the managerial ability of Alex ferguson constantly deride the club.

This IS a supporters forum and perhaps you need to step back and take a wider view. As stated above, everyone is entitled to their opinion and if we got a sudden influx of "happy clappers" then that would be fine - there would be no complaints from me but there might be some more interesting discussions. I like to think I take a balanced view on most things. I can be right, I can be wrong and I can agree or disagree with most posters on different subjects without getting into a flame war. Sometimes I will agree with the neggies, sometimes I will be one of the neggies myself but at other times I will be well and truly with the "Happy Clappers" ... if it is merited. That is what opinions are all about.

We would love to be supportive of the club at every turn but the simple truth is that most newsworthy things actually coming out of the stadium are negative. The club's PR is terrible. They DO actually do good stuff almost every week but the information doesnt get distributed to a wide audience and by the time you find out about it its too late to use as news. The same applies to things like the online ticketing. It has taken several years to get it up and running the way the club wanted and making it known to people should have been a big deal that merited a bit of a fanfare ... but no, it was simply switched on and most people found out it was available by accident. As far as promoting themselves, the club do not do this, they are constantly in firefighting mode and trying (and failing) to spin the bad stories ... which then makes them worse when the spin is revealed.

I want to be positive so I will end with one area where I can give the club (or at least some of the staff) some praise. We may be inconsequential in your opinion, but I have always offered the club space on this website to promote anything they want with no strings attached. (****, we even designed, built and hosted a temporary official website for them for quite some time after we moved from SportNetwork and agreed to revert back to being unofficial but thats a whole other story). We may not reflect the views of all supporters but we do have some pretty passionate ones who visit us and who buy all the merchandise, go to all the events, go to many games etc etc etc so kudos to the likes of Andrina who regularly sends us info about ticket prices for away games or ticketing arrangements for 'big' home games, to Angela who sends us posters for all the home games that users can print off and put up in work/school etc, and to Darren who sends us stuff through from the commercial department to promote forthcoming events. If the club send us stuff like this, or positive stories, or take us up on offers to work together in ways that would engage fans instead of making them feel unwanted then we are more than delighted to participate fully but they have to want to do this and maybe if they do they (and you) will see that the negatives can turn into positives.

Yous are always slanging of managment!

we all know brewster's not  best but can't we credit him on somethings!

Brewster has his good points and bad just like most managers!

he's no the best as we know and he so needs to improve!

:017: Explain?