FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Should Duff Keep His Place?

kencar

Centre Back Pairing  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Who should play at the centre of defence for ICT on Saturday?

• Munro & McGuire
    • Munro & Duff
    • McGuire & Duff

Reading the P&J it seems Munro is likely to come straight back into the side at the expense of Duff. Perhaps it's to be expected but it seem slightly unfair on the young lad, who, despite the very obvious mistake against Hamilton, has played pretty well.

Should it not be the case that the player in possession of the jersey should keep his place if he's doing the job asked of him or is that just wishful thinking? Dods, for example, sat on the sidelines for months until MacAfffrey got suspended and never looked back after that.

Edited by RiG

any chance of adding a poll?

A poll has been added to Kencars post :rotflmao:

If we're asking if Duff has done anything to deserve being dropped, shouldn't the same be asked about McGuire? They've both done well in Munro's absence.

Kind of agree - if it ain't broke don't fix it etc. - however to have your best team out you of course need your best players. I think Munro is our best defender and, from the few games I have seen this season already (i.e not Falkirk away and Arbroath in the Cup) I feel McGuire is, potentially, our weakest defender.

A real catch 22 for Brewster but I believe secretly he is very happy to have such a selection headache.

im very pro to keeping in the young ones if they do a job....and duff has done a job...it has to be munro and duff at the back. keep them two together and a brilliant understanding between the two will happen. unfortunately munro and mcguire dont have that.

Two decisions to be made.

1. Is Munro a stronger option than McGuire and Duff?....for me, that's a yes.

2. From McGuire and Duff, which player has been performing best?....for me, that seems to be Duff.

Granted we don't know how players have been getting on in training or if Munro is back 100%, but on the face of it I would be selecting Munro and Duff to start.

2. From McGuire and Duff, which player has been performing best?....for me, that seems to be Duff.

Granted we don't know how players have been getting on in training or if Munro is back 100%, but on the face of it I would be selecting Munro and Duff to start.

I would stick with Duff and Maguire . In the 3 league games they have played together we have only conceded 3 goals in total .Neither deserves to be dropped, furthermore there is no way Grant can be match fit,i dont think he has even played a reserve game.

I would stick with Duff and Maguire . In the 3 league games they have played together we have only conceded 3 goals in total .Neither deserves to be dropped, furthermore there is no way Grant can be match fit,i dont think he has even played a reserve game.

true...munro might not be fit enough to start this sat, but i would like to see munro and duff as our two first choice centre backs when he is fit enough. saying that obviously they need to be able to perform well at the same time. i reckon they would make a good partnership though. mcguire might just be getting past it a little...maybe..:rotflmao:

Munro played in the 2-1 reserve defeat to Falkirk today so assumin there is no adverse reaction I guess he'll be available for Saturday.

I may be in the minority here but I don't think McGuire is all that bad a player. Granted he's made a few mistakes but so have the rest of our team. He seems to be public enemy No 1 as far as some fans are concerned though and I think Munro gets a much easier time of it because he's local - he put in some shocking performances at the start of last season!!

I think Duff was rock solid against Falkirk won everything in the air and used the ball well, I would try him alongside Munro it might be that they are a little similar in their play but I think Duff should be allowed to go and attack the ball leaving Munro to tidy up behind.

I think Duff was rock solid against Falkirk won everything in the air and used the ball well, I would try him alongside Munro it might be that they are a little similar in their play but I think Duff should be allowed to go and attack the ball leaving Munro to tidy up behind.

i completely agree.

http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/fu...y_for_Brew.html

IT will be a choice of two from three when it comes to the selection of Caley Thistle's central defensive partnership to face St Mirren's familiar strike force tomorrow. Inverness manager Craig Brewster will have to choose between the current pairing of Jamie Duff and Phil McGuire if club captain Grant Munro returns to the first team for the visit of former team-mates Craig Dargo and Dennis Wyness.

.......... The McGuire/Munro combination might not be favoured by supporters however, as a fans website poll made that particular pairing third place as The Inverness Courier went to press. Eighty per cent of voters preferred to see Duff keep his place alongside Munro, despite McGuire and Duff being first choice against Falkirk last time out.

Guest RPFaither

This isn't a game where CB would be wanting to mess about with partnerships. There is obviously a strong inclination to get his captain back in to the team - any manager would want that. CB is imo likely to go with Munro/Maguire and if things have gone ok during the match (ie we're winning) then Duff would be brought on to see how the pairing looks in a competitive match.

Mind you the same argument applies to a certain extent with Duff/Maguire starting and bringing on Munro later in the match to build on match fitness - taking off either Duff or Maguire if either was looking tired/not playing 100%.

Who of the three is the most adaptable? ie sitting on the bench and maybe being brought on to fill a gap and being asked to play out of their natural position? Would that be a consideration or does a manager shuffle the onfield players to accomodate whoever he brings on?