FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Clach

Alex MacLeod

Clach are at home to Division 3 leaders Stenhousemuir in Round 3 on 29 Nov. ALL the north teams have home draws.

Ross County v Dumbarton

Elgin City v Annan or Spartans

Wick or Edinburgh City v Brechin

Forres or Keith v Dalbeattie Star

Peterhead v Morton

Come on the Lillies, it's been a long time since there was an Inverness Derby in the Scottish Cup.

Now there's an interesting point! There seems on the face of it to be a fairly high chance that there will have been an Inverness Derby at some stage in the Scottish Cup, but certainly not within my memory, nor indeed do I recollect having read of one in any of the official histories of Thistle, Caley or Clach which go back to the 1880s. Citadel?

The only derby clash I can remember would be if you take the Qualifying Cup as theoretically part of the Scottish Cup in which case I will delight Kingsmills et al and point to the Q Cup tie at Kingsmills Park in September 1993 just 5 days before the merger votes when Jags knocked out Caley.

Anyone aware of an Inverness Derby in the Scottish Cup proper though?

Edited by Charles Bannerman

I recall attending a Caley v Thistle Derby in the Scottish Cup proper, probably in the late 70's on the same day that Clach were entertaining Stirling Albion a few hundred yards away at Grant Street. Surely the only time that three Inverness teams were all playing in town in the National Tournament on the same day.

If my ailing memory serves me right there was an earlier Thistle v Caley Derby in the Cup proper at Kingsmills just a few seasons before that.

Edited by Kingsmills

1954-55

R1 Away Deveronvale 0-4 Mitchell (2), Clyne, Grant

R2 Home Selkirk 7-1 Siegal, Clyne, Grant, MacKenzie, Mitchell (3)

R3 Home Stranraer 2-1

R4 Away Clach 1-2 Mitchell, Clyne

R5 Away Buckie 2-0

1971-72

R2 Home Caley 3-4 Cumming, MacLean, Cowie

1976-77

R1 Away Clach 1-2 Duncan, Stephen

R2 Away Brechin City 0-0

Replay Home Brechin City 1-3 Cumming

some further anorak info courtesy of invernessthistlefc.co.uk invernessthistlefc.co.uk (the other jaggie web-site)

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back

Thanks to TBB, Kingsmills and Mantis for that. I didn't follow football so much during the 70s, a slice of which I spent in Edinburgh, and just don't remember these games at all. The day Kingsmuills refers to is also a rare occasion when all three Inverness teams played in Inverness simultaneously unless they were all drawn at home together between then and 1994 in one of the local cups. A few weeks ago, and last Saturday, ICT, Clach and Inverness City all played at home.

some further anorak info courtesy of invernessthistlefc.co.uk invernessthistlefc.co.uk (the other jaggie web-site)

Very useful site which I'm glad to have a note of.

I was most surprised that the "Honours" section is as extensive as it is, although I note that Jags' most frequently won trophy was the "Charity Cup" which would appear to confirm their status as a "Charity case"! :rotflmao:

Edited by Charles Bannerman