FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Scotland v Argentina

Council Juice

With Darren Fletcher, Kenny Miller, Craig Gordon and Steven Fletcher all definitely out and McCormack and Morrsion very doubtful i wonder what the team will be. or what should it be? Baring in mind Kevin Thompson is also unavailable and Ferguson is unlikely to be able to last the full 90.

Here's my line up (at least what i think it will be) -

McGregor

Broadfoot - Caldwell - McManus - Naysmith

Brown - Ferguson - Robson

Morrison - Iwelumo - McFadden

Should Morrison be unavailable, Commons or Maloney or alternatively push Brown up and play Hartley(however i believe Hartley will replace Ferguson). If McCormack is fit i'd like to see him get a decent run out.

Broadfoot has done well enough in the jersey and deserves the chance. He is still performing for his team while Hutton is still finding his feet following a long lay off. Give Hutton the 2nd half.

Iwelumo deserves a chance to redeem himself. Someone like him or Boyd should have started the last game and the manager got that call wrong completely.

I'd like to see Berra and Jamie McAllister both get a run out and Maloney should play a part at some point if not starting.

Clarkson is not good enough or ready.

Steven Fletcher although out is also not ready, or really performing well at Hibs (part of the managers criteria i believe)

Alexander has been around the squad long enough and we dont need to see what he can offer. He's dependable when required but ultimately offers little as a full back in an attacking sense. He doesn't need to play.

Ferguson wont last the 90 so a change will have to be made at some point. If Burley is stubborn and plays him the full game i hope it doesnt set him back and endanger him for future games.

Marshall may get a run out to show that he is a capable number 3. Our goalie is not an issue though. They are all good.

And lastly if George Burley plays Mcfadden up front flanked by Morrison and Maloney he should be sacked then and there as soon as he writes it on his team sheet.

What i'd like (estimate) -

- McGregor (Marshall*) -

Broadfoot(Hutton 45') Caldwell - McManus(Berra 75') - Naysmith (McAllister 80')

Brown - Ferguson(Hartley 75') - Robson

Maloney(Commons*) Iwelumo - McFadden(McCormack 70')

I believe Fifa only allow 6 subs in international challenge matches nowadays so the ones i'd be unsure until the game pans out i marked with a *. The others i'd plan to make outwith circumstances i couldnt control ie injuries, or sendings off or nessesary tactical changes.

Guest bagsofjags

Riordan > Miller IMO

However, it now looks like Iwelumo will start, and it genuinely wouldn't suprise me if Clarkson got a run out.

Would say Riordan is a different player from Miller and still needs to prove himself somewhat after his lengthy layoff/benchwarming. Miller, much maligned as he is, is probably one of the best target men we have and deserves his chance in my opinion.

Only Ian Black could come close to getting a game for Scotland from ICT, but like the fellow strugglers St Mirren and Hamilton we dont have anyone capable to make an impact therefore no call ups.

Do Dundee Utd have anyone in the squad? Killie?

I cant believe how Clarkson consistantly gets in the squad. Must be the Butcher influence as he is nowhere near Scotland material. Maybe, just maybe a squad player in 2-3 years but not now. Never.

Steven Fletchers form this season is hardly worthy of a call up. He seems to be suffering a little fro the hype.

Miller at Aberdeen has been in good form and actually deserves a call up, but as a squad player.

Riordan perhaps deserved a look due to his natural finishing ability and im suprised that now fit again O Conner aint there. Doesnt play every week but has to compete with Kevin Phillips and McFadden etc at Birmingham. I often now wonder if Burley understands the concept of a squad rotation policy after the Boyd debacle also.

And on Jamie McAllister, maybe give him 15-20 then. But not long. Suprised also there is no McNaughton. Is he injured?

It was reported earlier that half the tickets remain unsold. Unless there is a late rush thanks to the Maradonna publicity, this could be a financial disaster for the SFA. I recall a few months back that Argentina were reported to be demanding a seven figure appearance fee.

Was at the game last night and it was absolutely great to see Argentina and God himself. Scotland put up a credible performance despite Argentina's dominance, and it would have been interesting to know what would have happened had all the first picks been available. On the other hand there was no Messi or Aguero...

We really must sign Tevez :rotflmao:

The downside was Hampden not being full, and the fact that I ended up in a section which made the sweety rustlers in the TCS Main Stand look like hyperactive madmen on speed. I had decided to go for the posh seats as you don't get to see Argentina too often, but why would you pay ?35 for a ticket to read your programme, go down early for pies, and then leave five minutes before the end? I could tell I was in a doomed area when I was the only person I could see signing Flower of Scotland at the start. And these were guys in their twenties and thirties you would hope had a bit of passion. Utterly bizarre.

Edited by alimci

I'm feeling the effects a bit today.... as we got back to Aberdeen about 2.30am and I was back at work for 8am.

Great time on the journey down as always. The match was alright, not an awful performance by any means.

We had absolutely no cutting edge in attack for long spells, which is worrying for the likes of games against Iceland and Macedonia at home. Great to see Hutton and Ferguson back, and I was glad to see the likes of Iwelumo and Commons get another game as I feel both have a future at International Level.

It was very VERY hard to give Lee Miller vocal encouragement!!

Roll on the next game.

I'm feeling the effects a bit today.... as we got back to Aberdeen about 2.30am and I was back at work for 8am.

Great time on the journey down as always. The match was alright, not an awful performance by any means.

We had absolutely no cutting edge in attack for long spells, which is worrying for the likes of games against Iceland and Macedonia at home. Great to see Hutton and Ferguson back, and I was glad to see the likes of Iwelumo and Commons get another game as I feel both have a future at International Level.

It was very VERY hard to give Lee Miller vocal encouragement!!

Roll on the next game.

Your blue nose is showing Ross. :rotflmao:

Eh?

Lee Miller has cost quite a few points for us (Inverness Caledonian Thistle) in previous seasons, due to his persistent diving; resulting in me having a particular dislike of him as a player and as a man.

At what point does that make me a Rangers (?) fan?

How do you work that one out?

"Great to see Hutton and Ferguson back" was a clue.

*sigh*

Yep, I must be a Rangers fan in disguise for pointing out that 2 of SCOTLAND's best players were back in the International team after extensive layoffs. I couldn't care less which clubs the players play for; as once they pull on the dark blue Scotland shirt i'm supporting them regardless.

I've spent most of my footballing life taking stick from Rangers and Celtic fans for supporting ICT and consider a large % of their fans to be scum of the highest order as a result. I'm now going to lump you in with them. Perhaps you must be a Celtic fan for revealing a paranoia of Rangers bias??