FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Tokely at Right Wing

Renegade

On CTO just now you see a lot of folk saying that Tokers aint good enough and so on and so forth but here's the thing, he is one of ICT's, if not the most dangerous attacking players at ICT and with Black and probably Cowie going, here's the solution, playing at right wing. By doing this he wouldn't need to keep trotting up and down the pitch when wat he could do is just stay further up. He played at the this position against Aberdeen last season and I thought that was the best performance I'd seen all season by an ICT player. He also has the build to make his presence felt in an area of the pitch where it could really benefit the whole team. I good idea methinks.

On CTO just now you see a lot of folk saying that Tokers aint good enough and so on and so forth but here's the thing, he is one of ICT's, if not the most dangerous attacking players at ICT and with Black and probably Cowie going, here's the solution, playing at right wing. By doing this he wouldn't need to keep trotting up and down the pitch when wat he could do is just stay further up. He played at the this position against Aberdeen last season and I thought that was the best performance I'd seen all season by an ICT player. He also has the build to make his presence felt in an area of the pitch where it could really benefit the whole team. I good idea methinks.

This would be the Aberdeen game where Aluko not only roasted Tokely for the whole game but Proctor as well? Tokely was abysmal at right midfield.

I actually agree with Renegade and have been saying it for years. Proc RB with tokely ahead of him. Not a dream team but the best use of what we have.

The Aluko aside Tokely is one of the only people we have that look threatening up front but when he does this he is a liability in defence.

But then, after his performance against the Liverpool youth Team, I would bring back Bobby Mann as well; play him at LCB and Granty at RCB. Can't do any worse that current line up. Might be a pie eater but knows where he should be, knows where others defenders should be and tells them in no uncertain terms to be there.

But then; I wouldn't have let so many good players go and upset the moral of the remainder of the team either.

The only thing that seems to be working at the moment is the midfield and they are all on their way!

Guest flossy10cat

the problem with Tokely at RM is when he goes forward he is a complete donkey. More often than not he trips himself up when he is 2 yards from the box. I think this would destroy the team if it was to happen

Does the above two posts not highlight football supporters.

Whatever your view is regarding Rossco, it is the opposed views on here, that make this all so entertaining.

I do feel that any defender that has Rossco running at him with the ball, must consider standing to one side and wonder if a tackle is really worth while. The ball or A & E?

I can see why everyone would like him to change position because he was mince on Sunday but if I was putting him anywhere, and I've been saying this for years, I would have him and Granty as our 2 centre halves.... could you imagine the dedication, understanding and how solid the two of them would be????

just me??

I just can't see why it hasn't been attempted for a period of time because he would be solid and for the size of the guy I think he would be more of a natural centre half than Proctor is

I can see why everyone would like him to change position because he was mince on Sunday but if I was putting him anywhere, and I've been saying this for years, I would have him and Granty as our 2 centre halves.... could you imagine the dedication, understanding and how solid the two of them would be????

just me??

I just can't see why it hasn't been attempted for a period of time because he would be solid and for the size of the guy I think he would be more of a natural centre half than Proctor is

Novo's only kick at goal, in the first 45, was from the half way line when he tried to lob Esson and I would suggest if you think of the game, Miller and Novo, their left side striking partnership, were neither in the match, first half.

Rossco was also helping build up attacks so to say he was MINCE only confirms my point already made, don't we all see players/matches from a differing view point.

The second 45, with his injury, followed by his substitution, does not allow much comment.

just me??

Novo's only kick at goal, in the first 45, was from the half way line when he tried to lob Esson and I would suggest if you think of the game, Miller and Novo, their left side striking partnership, were neither in the match, first half.

Rossco was also helping build up attacks so to say he was MINCE only confirms my point already made, don't we all see players/matches from a differing view point.

The second 45, with his injury, followed by his substitution, does not allow much comment.

He just seemed to give away possesion too easily and did the first goal not come from down our right side

For a defensive player he seemed far too concerned with getting up the park.. I usually appreciate Tokely's efforts but I thought he had a bad day at the office

For years Tokely and Wilson worked that right side of the park better than anyone....and I think the absence of Wilson is why some might be getting the impression that Tokely has lost his edge. For want of a better description, they were a well oiled machine and it was as if they could read each others minds at times when they were overlapping etc. Wilson was also aware that Tokely wasn't the fastest at recovering and not only would he drop back to cover, but he had enough in his game to be able to effectively fill the role for short periods. We also had the added benefit of a Dods/Mann who could read a game and spread a back 3 and keep it solid if needed.

With the best will in the world there's not a player exists who doesn't have a weakness in their game, certainly not players that are within our current reach and the above is a good example of us having had a squad (and manager) who knew each others strengths and weaknesses and played to/covered them.

As things are, we seem to be trying to get the players to fit a system, instead of getting a system to fit the players.

the problem with Tokely at RM is when he goes forward he is a complete donkey. More often than not he trips himself up when he is 2 yards from the box. I think this would destroy the team if it was to happen

Not the way I see it at all.

As things are, we seem to be trying to get the players to fit a system, instead of getting a system to fit the players.

Spot on...got it in a nutshell...and who is at fault for that?

Guest flossy10cat

Why is that the home fans start a sarcastic cheer every time Tokeley gets near the box or goes round someone when near the box. Granted he does do good but it seems more of a fkuke than skill

i think Tokely is perfectly suited to rampaging down the wings but is too clumsy to be a centre half, the amount of times he clatters into players through sheer dedication and desire to get the ball would lead to too many potential costly fouls IMO.

i think Tokely is perfectly suited to rampaging down the wings but is too clumsy to be a centre half, the amount of times he clatters into players through sheer dedication and desire to get the ball would lead to too many potential costly fouls IMO.

Rossco is an enigma !!! Most of us love him to bits ... his dedication to ICT, his tackling (when he gets it right) and his sheer determination endear him to us all. He is one who has been written off as not good enough each time we climbed a division yet in our first season in the SPL he became the first player to win every single end of season award and has done well or at least OK every season since. When he is on form and playing well, he is great to watch, but he also has his moments where the red mist descends or where he mis-times things and I think this season he is the most booked player in the SPL !!!

I can see the reasoning for suggesting he could do well at RM - because of his forward runs. I can see the reasoning for suggesting he could be a centre half - with well-timed tackles and his sheer physical presence. But I think he is better suited to his current role for those reasons too. His forward runs are not always of sufficient quality for him to be a winger, and his tackling can be good but it can also be clumsy as Libero said. I also dont think he can ping a ball Bobby Mann style out of defence and his headers can go anywhere (head like a 'threepenny bit' as someone once said to me). If he is out on the right of defence, he is less likely to give away crucial fouls or penalties when he mistimes his tackles, and if he is "rampaging forward" (I like the descriptiveness of that) as a defender then he gives us another dimension than if he were doing the same thing as a winger.

We need another centre half, one who has the best qualities of Bobby Mann and Darren Dods (tackling, passing out of defence, leadership) and neither Tokely or Proctor (or Hastings moving inside as he has done for Canada) can provide that.

I thought Tokely done very well on Sunday till he got injured. He is a right back and that, IMO, is his best suited role. As others have intimated he doesn't seem to be doing so well without Barry. He needs a right mid who can gel with him, make runs with him, find space and then got onto the crosses. Someone who can also get back and cover for him.

As for playing right mid he just doesn't have the pace or agility for the role.

I thought Tokely done very well on Sunday till he got injured. He is a right back and that, IMO, is his best suited role. As others have intimated he doesn't seem to be doing so well without Barry. He needs a right mid who can gel with him, make runs with him, find space and then got onto the crosses. Someone who can also get back and cover for him.

agreed! when Cowie is played on the right of midfield (which is rare enough these days) they seem to interlink well and Cowie has the speed and engine to get back to cover if/when necessary. cant remember the last time we played a natural right sided midfielder in right midfield :rotflmao:

agreed! when Cowie is played on the right of midfield (which is rare enough these days) they seem to interlink well and Cowie has the speed and engine to get back to cover if/when necessary. cant remember the last time we played a natural right sided midfielder in right midfield :rotflmao:

Another fair point