FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Stadium Announcer

CaleyMad

No more pipe bands please , Inverness is a modern city nowadays and we dont want to be seen as stereotypical Teuchters . Its much the same as the guys that feel the need to wear a kilt to the game :lol:

What utter bo**ocks. Pipe bands are not a teuchter thing. They are world wide. Maybe you need to get out of Dalneigh and see a bit of the world. Some of the most successful pipe bands of the last thirty or so years have been Glasgow Police Pipeband, Field Marshall Montgomery Pipeband (Ireland), Torphichen and Bathgate Pipeband, Toronto Police Pipeband. None of those are Highland bands. Indeed I dont think a Highland band has ever made grade 1.

Bit of useless information..........there are more than three hundred bands in Canada.

Anyway, to get back on topic. Should the choice of music not be something that everyone can enjoy.

I resemble that remark!

The pipe band I'm in turns 100 years old next year. We claim to be the oldest civilian pipe band in North America.

And Alex...you forgot Simon Fraser University.

Sorry me dear. Cant list them all though I do know there are quite a few grade 1 bands in NA

You pipes or drums?

Edited by Alex MacLeod

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, to get back on topic. Should the choice of music not be something that everyone can enjoy.

No music will ever suit everyone's taste Alex, you know that, but pipe bands just add to the old stereotype of the Brigadoon type Highlander, should a young and inspirational club like ourselves not be aiming for a young inspirational image?

Pipe bands make us look like sterotypical highlanders? First time i've heard anyone say something so ridiculous. For one we are highlanders and what do you suggest for a 'young inspirational image'? Forget any heritage and culture and copy some americanised version of something? You cant find something more inspirational than the bagpipes, I bet if you asked everyone at a Caley game 95% would want to keep the pipes

Guest birdog

Pipe bands make us look like sterotypical highlanders?

NO, if you read my post I said pipe bands make us look like the stereotypical Brigadoon type highlander.

First time i've heard anyone say something so ridiculous. For one we are highlanders and what do you suggest for a 'young inspirational image'?Something other than kilts and abismal noise

Forget any heritage and culture and copy some americanised version of something?I think you will find that the Americanised image of us in films is of kilt wearing bagpipe playing villagers or drunken racists

You cant find something more inspirational than the bagpipesWhere is the inspiration in listening to a racket which was designed to cause confusion and fear amongst enemy troops?

No more pipe bands please , Inverness is a modern city nowadays and we dont want to be seen as stereotypical Teuchters . Its much the same as the guys that feel the need to wear a kilt to the game :024:

what bollox!

You ashamed of being from the highlands? We should be using every bit of our heritage to enhance the clubs image... I couldn't care less what other supporters/media think of us, we are ICT from Inverness in Scotland... f*ck everyone else!!

(even if I have stayed in the central belt for the last 6 years :) )

Some people go and on about how the Old Firm hang on to their heritage, And if you ever go to Celtic Park you see how nuts about it they are..........and where it could lead. Come on everybody lets get over it, we're in the 21st century.

Edited by Renegade

This is a bit like saying guitar music is boring, there are many composers out there but all we seem to hear are the tunes favoured by marching bands. To those who think we should lose the pipes, we are a highland club and should embrace our culture. Bagpipes originated in the far east :lol:

Hopefully we'll get 3 points on saturday against Killie, so should we put Falkirk out of the SPL I'd suggest Monty Python's Always look on the bright side of life for the 23rd. I'm sure the whole stadium would join in.

I like Highland Cathedral - better than any old sh*te that happens to be in charts on the day. It has a connection to us here in Highlands.

What about Runrig- Loch Lomond/ Clash of the Ash for half time? that should get us all rocking!

And I think the original Dougie Maclean version of Caledonia is a must pre match. I also like Deacon Blue, Dignity as that sums up our team for me.

And I may be an old codger but I have a right to a say like anyone else.

'smar sinn leibh.

No more pipe bands please , Inverness is a modern city nowadays and we dont want to be seen as stereotypical Teuchters . Its much the same as the guys that feel the need to wear a kilt to the game :lol:

What utter bo**ocks. Pipe bands are not a teuchter thing. They are world wide. Maybe you need to get out of Dalneigh and see a bit of the world. Some of the most successful pipe bands of the last thirty or so years have been Glasgow Police Pipeband, Field Marshall Montgomery Pipeband (Ireland), Torphichen and Bathgate Pipeband, Toronto Police Pipeband. None of those are Highland bands. Indeed I dont think a Highland band has ever made grade 1.

Bit of useless information..........there are more than three hundred bands in Canada.

I resemble that remark!

The pipe band I'm in turns 100 years old next year. We claim to be the oldest civilian pipe band in North America.

And Alex...you forgot Simon Fraser University.

Sorry me dear. Cant list them all though I do know there are quite a few grade 1 bands in NA

You pipes or drums?

Pipes.

I'll be playing with a group called the "Canadian Massed Legion Pipe Band" this summer in Scotland.

I like Highland Cathedral - better than any old sh*te that happens to be in charts on the day. It has a connection to us here in Highlands.

What about Runrig- Loch Lomond/ Clash of the Ash for half time? that should get us all rocking!

And I think the original Dougie Maclean version of Caledonia is a must pre match. I also like Deacon Blue, Dignity as that sums up our team for me.

'smar sinn leibh.

Clash of the Ash..........................at a football match??

Yes - at a football match. It is about a highland sport and has as much to do with football as most of the music played.

You have to think out of the box a ghraidh.

And a couple of Kenneth MacKellar numbers wouldn't go amiss. JOKING!!!!!

Guest birdog

Yes - at a football match. It is about a highland sport and has as much to do with football as most of the music played.

This is the reason we get looked upon as a bunch of sheep shaggin', cave dwelling, electricity fearing, backwards village idiots. Move into the 21st century guys. I can understand it coming from the ex-pats for the nostalgia inducing element but for the guys who live in the Highlands surely we are not as backwards as the movies would have the world believe, or are we?

Why is it you only ever see Pipe bands in the Highlands during the tourist season? If we, as a people were that keen on them then the Dornoch square would have the band playing 52 Saturdays per week and not just when the schools are on holiday, so that the tourists can be relieved of their hard earned cash? (I use Dornoch as an example because that is where my ears get polluted by the noise).

Why is it you only ever see Pipe bands in the Highlands during the tourist season?

To some extent, it's because it's the only good time to play the pipes outside. They are very sensitive to moisture and cold.

Now why everyone seem to like them in the Christmas parades in Canada is a right head scratcher. We hate to play them, we know we sound terrible, but those are the bread and butter pay events so you do what you have to.

Guest birdog

Why is it you only ever see Pipe bands in the Highlands during the tourist season?

To some extent, it's because it's the only good time to play the pipes outside. They are very sensitive to moisture and cold.

Now why everyone seem to like them in the Christmas parades in Canada is a right head scratcher. We hate to play them, we know we sound terrible, but those are the bread and butter pay events so you do what you have to.

Strange that a bit of drizzle or rain in the summer does not stop bands here.

This is the reason we get looked upon as a bunch of sheep shaggin', cave dwelling, electricity fearing, backwards village idiots. Move into the 21st century guys. I can understand it coming from the ex-pats for the nostalgia inducing element but for the guys who live in the Highlands surely we are not as backwards as the movies would have the world believe, or are we?

Embracing your heritage and culture is not backwards. Or would you rather we forgot all about anything connected to the Highlands and just played some american chart music.

Strange that a bit of drizzle or rain in the summer does not stop bands here.

I didn't say you couldn't play them.....I said that it makes them sound poor (or poorer for you). :)

As far as I'm concerned it's nothing to do with heritage or tradition etc, it's about entertainment...and live pipes and drums are (from the feedback I'm getting) more entertaining than a few songs battered out from a CD player. Now, I'm not sure what all tunes these guys can play but I have no issue with asking the question about whether or not they can do something other than the traditional marching tunes.

I also know that the club would be more than willing to hear from any other individuals or groups who think they have an act which could provide pre-match and/or half-time entertainment. If you think you have something then drop me a PM or get in contact with Darren at the stadium. If we don't know what people want, or if we don't know what's out there and who's available then we can only go with what we have and I don't think anyone would complain about a bit of variety.

If we could move on now from the personal opinions on why pipes are good/bad argument on this thread then that would be great (your welcome to start a thread about it in general chat) as it's only one aspect of the ongoing efforts to improve the matchday experience.

How did people like the HT mini-matches with the kids? Would that be something you'd like to see more often? What other things would you like to see or do you think might work? What do you think of the HT Challenge and could it be improved? If so, how do you think we could do that?

'smar sinn leibh.

Clash of the Ash..........................at a football match??

Clash of the Ash great shout :004:

More runrig songs and play caledonia

CaleyD, are you sorry you took the job on yet!!! I like the pipes but you can't please all of the people...................

Not at all....was DJing from the age of 12, so I already knew what I would be letting myself in for when it comes to not being able to please all the people all the time. I also know that there's some people you will never please!!! :blink:

General Pipe Band Chat now moved to here

I've nothing against a good pipe band but to get the crowd going it would be better with something along the lines of Red Hot Chilli Pipers or Battlefield Band or a good young modern piper playing new or updated tunes

Why is it you only ever see Pipe bands in the Highlands during the tourist season? If we, as a people were that keen on them then the Dornoch square would have the band playing 52 Saturdays per week and not just when the schools are on holiday, so that the tourists can be relieved of their hard earned cash? (I use Dornoch as an example because that is where my ears get polluted by the noise).

Mate you support a highland team, I live in Glasgow and couldn't give a feck about the stereotype... I'm proud to be from Inverness and supporting ICT.

What's the alternative?

miss_rangers.jpg