FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Promotion...all it's cracked up to be?

davieB

As much as I'd love us to win this league, and it would be an amazing achievement, there's a part of me that isn't exactly overjoyed with the prospect of being back in the SPL.

This division has been brilliant, and whether we win it or not, the excitement it's produced has been far more enjoyable than the monotony of struggling in the SPL. Some of the football this year has been a joy to watch, and for the first time in several seasons I've really started to look forward to games again. The last few seasons were just dull, the football was awful, and the chances of anything higher than a mid table finish were virtually non exsistent.

And, no, I'm not counting my chickens, I'm just saying that IF we do go on and win the league, I'll really miss the excitement this division produces.

As much as I'd love us to win this league, and it would be an amazing achievement, there's a part of me that isn't exactly overjoyed with the prospect of being back in the SPL.

This division has been brilliant, and whether we win it or not, the excitement it's produced has been far more enjoyable than the monotony of struggling in the SPL. Some of the football this year has been a joy to watch, and for the first time in several seasons I've really started to look forward to games again. The last few seasons were just dull, the football was awful, and the chances of anything higher than a mid table finish were virtually non exsistent.

And, no, I'm not counting my chickens, I'm just saying that IF we do go on and win the league, I'll really miss the excitement this division produces.

To some extent I agree with you, but who knows what happens when in the SPl. We had targets when we were there too. I wonder what would happen if a team won the league then said, "No Thanks"! hehe

I agree DavieB. The 1st division has always been a more challenging and exciting league to be in, but unfortunately money talks and the SPL and its TV revenue is where we need to be. Besides i think if and when the SPL expands to 16 or 18 teams then im sure some of the excitement we have seen in the SFL will transfer over to the SPL

Edited by BornCaley

I agree DavieB. The 1st division has always been a more challenging and exciting league to be in, but unfortunately money talks and the SPL and its TV revenue is where we need to be. Besides i think if and when the SPL expands to 16 or 18 teams then im sure some of the excitement we have seen in the SFL will transfer over to the SPL

Oh, I know we need to be there, no doubt about that. I think it really does illustrate the need for a serious rethink of the structure of Scottish football. An expanded SPL would surely produce more excitement than it does at present.

Not only do we need to be there, but we can start getting money back into the club. The youth system has been starved of cash, and our under 19s are down to a couple. The future for a club our size is bringing our own through, and we have some real talent at the moment that would end up being discarded if we dont go back up.

I also think a season in the SPL under Tel and Mo might just bring us to a new level. A stonger squad, and one day I would love to be at Hampden for a final. Less realistic chance of that in the SFL, but i would love to be there before the great grand children are born. Not such a good look a 70 year old p1ss1ing himsel wee excitment>

To be honest I have enjoyed this season so far, because its a wee change from the SPL. But, it gets a wee bit boring playing teams 4 times in one season. The league will be tight this year, and probably go right down to the final game of the season. Although, i've enjoyed the SFL I'd love to see caley as and established SPL team, who push for the top 6 every season.

As entertaining a league the SFL1 is, we should be looking to establish ourselves in the SPL. I feel under the current management team, that we can get top 6 and even higher.

I disagree. Don't start thinking that our managment team are amazing because of this turn around. Give them their due and we can say that they have done wonders after a very poor start to the season. But, we cannot go saying that we can get higher than top 6 with them two.

As entertaining a league the SFL1 is, we should be looking to establish ourselves in the SPL. I feel under the current management team, that we can get top 6 and even higher.

Which of course is what you've been saying all along!

The first division has been a refreshing change and it's been enjoyable going back to some of the grounds but the novelty will have worn off again by August if we miss out on promotion. As far as football and the future of the club is concerned, the SPL is the only place to be though.

Yet again Bauhaus comes up with another great post. We need the cash to invest in youth and have long term progression. We're going to win the league and I think we'll be top six come the end of next season. I've been saying that for quite some time now though...

As much as I'd love us to win this league, and it would be an amazing achievement, there's a part of me that isn't exactly overjoyed with the prospect of being back in the SPL....

I'm with you there DavieB. I'd love us to win the league but don't want to go up. How bad is that? Surely every football fan woud want to see and support their in the top flight of their particular organisation but, for me, the SPL doesn't hold any special feelings for me. It is a league that is dominated by the twins of evil and, until a shake up in its structure, they always will be. Yes, the club would recieve more money from sponsors / tv and all that but, at the end of the day, the product on the pitch would be boring. We had five seasons in the SPL and all we had to look forward to was trying to attain a top six finish - how exciting was that? There is also the fact that fixtures will be shifted for tv so planning ahead (like I have to) becomes difficult resulting in that 'can't be ersed' to bother senario.

I have enjoyed the 11 games I've been to this season and look forward to at least two more before the end. Love the SFL, hate the SPL.

Well if we forget all Terry's other jobs and look only to Motherwell then maybe a repeat of that is on the cards.

Motherwell were in dire straights when Tel was brought in. Bottom half SPL. Financial troubles. Made redundant a large number of high earning players. Brought in a number of youngsters, including a couple of excellent finds in Stephen Pearson and James McFadden and not forgetting Richie Foran. They should have been relegated in his first season but were saved by a technicality. Motherwell were then able to turn around their financial woes and to finish in the top half of SPL for the following two seasons.

There are many similarities between now and his time at Motherwell. Though they didn't spend a season in Div 1. Can he do it all again for us. I think he can. He's already shown he can find quality players on the cheap.

Well if we forget all Terry's other jobs and look only to Motherwell then maybe a repeat of that is on the cards.

Motherwell were in dire straights when Tel was brought in. Bottom half SPL. Financial troubles. Made redundant a large number of high earning players. Brought in a number of youngsters, including a couple of excellent finds in Stephen Pearson and James McFadden and not forgetting Richie Foran. They should have been relegated in his first season but were saved by a technicality. Motherwell were then able to turn around their financial woes and to finish in the top half of SPL for the following two seasons.

There are many similarities between now and his time at Motherwell. Though they didn't spend a season in Div 1. Can he do it all again for us. I think he can. He's already shown he can find quality players on the cheap.

Mark Brown was one of the young players Terry let go

I'am glad i seen this post as i felt i was one of a minority who thought this.

Being back in the 1st Division has made me remember how exciting it can be. It's end to end and it's so competitive

Plus if we went back up i would miss alot of the wee things like terracing, Derbies, etc. However if we want to keep our club secure financially and garuntee keep most of our players then i guess promotion is the best way to go about it.