FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Gary Mackay Steven

PullMyFinger

Gary scored a goal against Clach on Wednesday, is he on trial or just keeping up his fitness levels. Could be an opportunity for him to find his way again and earn us a mint?

Inverness trialists get more time to shine

caley jags manager particularly impressed by midfielder mackay steven

By Stephen Kasiewicz

Published: 17/07/2010

CALEY Thistle manager Terry Butcher will take another look at trialist Gary Mackay Steven when Inverness play Forres Mechanics in their second pre-season friendly at Mosset Park today.

Mackay Steven, 20, scored in the Caley Jags? six-goal victory against Clach on Thursday night and Butcher was impressed with his performance.

The Thurso-born midfielder came through the Ross County youth system before moving to Liverpool three years ago.

He failed to make a first-team appearance for the Anfield club and was released in May last year.

Troubled by an Achilles injury he has yet to find another club and played as a trialist for Second Division Peterhead against Keith last weekend.

Butcher will also assess trialists Andrew Milne, Callum Morris and Darren Lough against the Highland League side.

He said: ?Gary is with us as a trialist and I think he lit the place up in the first half against Clach.

?I was very pleased with him as he only had a couple of training sessions with us before the game. We will definitely have another look at the trialists against Forres.

?They only played 45 minutes against Clach and it would be unfair to judge a player on one half of football. We will see how they do in our next two games.

?We definitely need cover at the back and hopefully we can add more players in the next couple of weeks.

?I would like to get the squad as settled as possible before our games against Real Valladolid and Royal Antwerp next month.?

article here

So has GMS been without a club for 14 months?

i think hes been at Fulham going by this comment i found:

The player who caught your eye was Gary Mackay-Steven, who started at Ross County and was signed by Liverpool and picked up by us after he was released from Anfield. He did fade a little bit but it was a promising performance and hints at more to come. Would certainly like to see some more of him.

not much else mentioned about him on the link, which is here

Gary scored a goal against Clach on Wednesday, is he on trial or just keeping up his fitness levels. Could be an opportunity for him to find his way again and earn us a mint?

He played brilliantly on Wednesday on that right wing, I've got to say.

I played with Gary when i was younger, he was always bloody good and most teams he played for adopted the give the ball to gary tactic. I would love to see him signed up for us, mainly because it would wind the gypo's up.

Maybe but don't forget the Gypos got over ?100,000 for him. Dam good business I would say.

He was at Fulham last season. Liverpool released him as he had a chocolate ankle that he was having trouble with for most of his two years at Liverpool. Gary was on trial back at County a couple months ago and I don't really know why we never signed him as I know he has great ability.

• Disagree 1

I've heard he's injured and won't be back til next week however his Trial period will be expired by then meaning Tel will either not give him a contract (highly unlikely) or he will extend his trial period.

I would love to see him again. I was impressed with him.

• 1 month later...

Any truth in the rumour he's getting a deal till Xmas?

What rumour, the one you just started?! :cool:

Given that we were unsuccessful in the last few days of the transfer window, this kind of move would make sense so I wouldn't be surprised. The lad just needs to stay free of injury and it could be a great step for all concerned.

i live in caithness and one of the football coaches at a local village team we bumped into him at tomich coming home from inverness on monday and he had said that he spoke to Gary in thurso last week and that apparently butcher is still keen to take a look at him so i dont know if he has a contract or whether butcher may take on trial again but it sounds like there is something happening with him

been talking to a few players at the club saying he has not been back at the club since his injury, so unless he appears back tomorrow cant see him playing v rothes

Anymore word on him playing against Rothes tonight?