FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The penalties yesterday

RossP

...feel confident that Riordan wouldn't score his? I've been mega impressed at Esson's ability to save penalties; and whilst he relied on the post to stop the goal this time, I still have confidence in him facing them. Even Riordan has noticed it:

The jeers that rang round Easter Road seconds later at the full-time whistle summed up another day of frustration for Hibs and Riordan said: "We should have won with the amount of chances we had and the penalty I missed.

"That is the last three I have missed against Esson and they have all hit the post. He is a jinx."

And at the other end, I had total confidence in Rooney scoring his. He's put away almost every penalty he's had for us and Mark Brown never did well with stopping them when he was at ICT.

In a nutshell, we have a good penalty taker and a good penalty saver. Hibs do not.

Good times :ictscarf:

...feel confident that Riordan wouldn't score his? I've been mega impressed at Esson's ability to save penalties; and whilst he relied on the post to stop the goal this time, I still have confidence in him facing them. Even Riordan has noticed it:

The jeers that rang round Easter Road seconds later at the full-time whistle summed up another day of frustration for Hibs and Riordan said: "We should have won with the amount of chances we had and the penalty I missed.

"That is the last three I have missed against Esson and they have all hit the post. He is a jinx."

And at the other end, I had total confidence in Rooney scoring his. He's put away almost every penalty he's had for us and Mark Brown never did well with stopping them when he was at ICT.

In a nutshell, we have a good penalty taker and a good penalty saver. Hibs do not.

Good times :ictscarf:

Wasn't so confident that Riordan would miss, but thought Rooney would definitely score. What a relief it was to see the Hibs pen rattle the inside of the post and across the goal, we were lucky yesterday. No doubt about it.

• Agree 1

Has anyone noticed that rooney always goes to the keepers right on penalties? Don't think he ever changes. If he keeps scoring though I'm not too bothered :P I think JT is the only keeper to save one of his penalties?

Motherwell's Graeme Smith saved a last minute Rooney penalty in 2008. Although Rooney did score the rebound.

Has anyone noticed that rooney always goes to the keepers right on penalties? Don't think he ever changes. If he keeps scoring though I'm not too bothered :P I think JT is the only keeper to save one of his penalties?

Motherwell's Graeme Smith saved a last minute Rooney penalty in 2008. Although Rooney did score the rebound.

Now i remember Michael McGovern saving one last season but he got the rebound

Now i remember Michael McGovern saving one last season but he got the rebound

Still a crackeeen record nonetheless. Didn't give Broony much hope against him yesterday.

Yeah, Mark Brown was never good with penalties when he was with us. great shot stopper but not from the penalty spot. Esson on the other hand is more Calder-ish in his penalty saving abilities ...

Also good to note that we have what seems to be a confident and capable penalty taker in Rooney who doesnt have many saved/missed. We havent had a penalty taker willing to step up to the mark on a consistent basis since Paul Sheerin.

Another statistic i noticed is that when Rooney misses a penalty he puts away the rebound, or when we played Partick he missed the 1st one but got another one and stuck it away.

Another statistic i noticed is that when Rooney misses a penalty he puts away the rebound, or when we played Partick he missed the 1st one but got another one and stuck it away.

Every penalty taker should do this - follow up their shot. In fact they should do it in open play as well or at least a team mate should in case of any spills or lucky break of the ball.

I just clicked watching the highlights there but why does the referee allow play to go on when Riordans spot kick hits the bar and then hits Riordan again?

Edited by RiG

Yes, I noticed that too. I assume he is smart enough to do something about it, when he thinks fit. But very solid. Just like Sheerin was.