FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Team for St Johnstone

12th Man

I am picking this team after watching the St Mirren and Killy matches.

The plan. use the full width of the pitch, numerous attacking options, diagonal balls up the wings and to forwards from Grant/Esson overlapping runs on both wings

---------Esson

Tokely--Innes--Munro--Shinnie

Ross--Duncan---Foran--Blumenshtein

Sutherland----Rooney

Esson superb picks himself.

Tokely- would play well anywhere and is outstanding next to Grant but the ball trickles between Duff and Ross, so I would move him to right back for overlapping runs with Ross on the wing.

Innes- as a stand in for Tokely.

Munro-solid in defense, can kick a really accurate long ball always a threat in the box

Shinnie-turning in to a great defender, can quickly shift up the wing in attack with an eye for goal too.

Ross- a fast clever winger can pass well and would be more involved with Tokely on the wing.

Duncan--strong defensive midfielder and drops back to protect right wing when Tokely goes forward

Foran--pulled in to midfield for more close range passing options and will find himself in better goal scoring positions there

Blumenshtein- looks determined on the ball and worthy of a start on the wing.

Sutherland and Rooney big solid players with enough skill and strength to put the ball in the net.

Edited by 12th Man
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

My guess is that before he was getting on the bench (as well as some game time) because there were fewer players to choose from due to injuries and what not. Now that the team is bigger again, it could well be that in Butcher's mind he is now further down the pecking order and thus is not on the bench due to the inclusions of others, Gil Blumenshtein being a prime example.

As much as I agree we should be changing from the counter-attacking 4-2-3-1 at home, our next match is away to St Johnstone, so I'll stick with that:

Esson

Duff - Tokely - Munro - Shinnie

Duncan - Cox

Ross - Gil - Foran

Rooney

Someone like Gil or Sanchez desperately needs to come in. Tactically, that position should be the creative centre. Odi is really a runner. Maybe when we switch to something like a 4-4-2, he can play up front, using his pace to score from flicks from Rooney. As the creative lynchpin though, we're really stuck with a hit-it-long-and-hope. He's just not a passing midfielder.

Another midfielder is probably what we're missing to take over from Duncan or Cox - I wonder how Brittain's doing at RC? At least, when Proctor's back, we'll have a chance to rotate when someone's form drops a little.