FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Gazza ICT Coach? Gulp!

BornCaley

I found this on my Interweb travels today, although i see its on the main page! Anyone signed up to the P&J feed as i cant read the whole thing.

I shudder at the though of Gazza coaching at ICT although nice of Terry to consider it. A sad case of a once great player!

Clinky

2 sides to this I guess. Firstly on the pitch Gazza was a great player with fantastic technique with trickery and vision that young players could only benefit from learning about. Given the errors he has made in life he could pass on some great knowledge to the younger players on what to avoid etc in a been there, done it mentor role. However the other side is the drink, drugs etc and the summarised article is right - he would get bored quickly and possibly revert back to old ways. Unfortunately the risk is too high and he would ultimately be a liability. If he didnt have such an amount of baggage he would be a great technical coach for youth players I think.

I think the more laid back....easier going lifestyle up here may benefit Gazza. He loves the outdoors life....fishing etc....hed be in his element up here. I think a stint in the highlands would prove most medicinal

Full Article here: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2011/11/15/terry-butcher-i-considered-offering-paul-gascoigne-a-coaching-role-at-inverness-ct-86908-23562988/

I think the more laid back....easier going lifestyle up here may benefit Gazza. He loves the outdoors life....fishing etc....hed be in his element up here. I think a stint in the highlands would prove most medicinal

I would tend to agree with that statement, but I fear the mental and physical damage is already done and he is far too far along to get back on the straight and narrow. Even Butcher seems to acknowledge that as he says he considered offering him a role but then rejected it (reluctantly it would seem).

Gazza was a great player but like many great players, flawed. In his case, I think he was too easily led astray by strong characters around him (both professionally and personally) throughout his career (and after), and didnt have any self control. In football terms, his appointment in any role, and at pretty much any club, would probably be seen as a joke ! It would become a circus, a distraction as everyone would be waiting for him to **** it up again !

Off the field, I have heard it said many times that he is/was a genuine down to earth guy and one who would not do you wrong if he could do you right. His heart always seemed to be in the right place, even if his over exuberance on occasions led to him getting in trouble (thinking the flute episode and the carding the ref incident)

Reading that article, it is obvious that Terry knows him extremely well from Rangers and England, and knows about his good points, but is literally shaking his head at how sad his life has now become.

If anyone could be a strong role model for him that he would respect and listen to it might be Terry, if any area of the country might calm him down or allow him to relax it might be the Highlands .... but it would be a hell of a risk and something that might end with more than just Gazza's tears !

Full Article here: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2011/11/15/terry-butcher-i-considered-offering-paul-gascoigne-a-coaching-role-at-inverness-ct-86908-23562988/

I would tend to agree with that statement, but I fear the mental and physical damage is already done and he is far too far along to get back on the straight and narrow. Even Butcher seems to acknowledge that as he says he considered offering him a role but then rejected it (reluctantly it would seem).

Gazza was a great player but like many great players, flawed. In his case, I think he was too easily led astray by strong characters around him (both professionally and personally) throughout his career (and after), and didnt have any self control. In football terms, his appointment in any role, and at pretty much any club, would probably be seen as a joke ! It would become a circus, a distraction as everyone would be waiting for him to **** it up again !

Off the field, I have heard it said many times that he is/was a genuine down to earth guy and one who would not do you wrong if he could do you right. His heart always seemed to be in the right place, even if his over exuberance on occasions led to him getting in trouble (thinking the flute episode and the carding the ref incident)

Reading that article, it is obvious that Terry knows him extremely well from Rangers and England, and knows about his good points, but is literally shaking his head at how sad his life has now become.

If anyone could be a strong role model for him that he would respect and listen to it might be Terry, if any area of the country might calm him down or allow him to relax it might be the Highlands .... but it would be a hell of a risk and something that might end with more than just Gazza's tears !

Maybe but let's not forget the beating he gave his wife. :thumbdown:

Nice to see that so many are concerned for the welfare of this drunken bully with a penchant for wife battering (and no it's not alleged, he's admitted it on several occasions whist indulging in yet another one of his self pitying confessions).

Saddens me that despite his history adulation still abounds. Perhaps it's the huge contribution he made to ICT that attempts to justify this forgiving approach? Perhaps not. Surprised a campaign for inclusion in the Hall of Fame hasn't emerged yet. Still, only a matter of time.

This isn't a maverick like Jimmy Johnstone or George Best. This is an excuse for a man who batters and abuses but only those who don't hit back. Scum.

Intelligent people should know better.

Edited by Sorted
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 3

I find it hard to believe that Terry, no matter how friendly he is/was with Gazza, would have seriously considered, for more than a couple of seconds, taking up to Inverness as a coach. Surely that would have been madness.

Gazza's had more 'second chances' and 'new starts' than I've had hot dinners. Time to leave him, I'm afraid, to his inexorable downward spiral, which only he, himself, can to anything about.

Edited by Caley Mad In Berks

I think the whole saga of Gazza is incredibly sad. He was undoubtedly one of the most talented players of recent times who did things on the football pitch that thrilled, but equally he was/is an emotionally disturbed character who did things off the pitch which appalled. Behind his antics was a very insecure man who wanted to please people, wanted to be respected and wanted to be loved. He didn't have the inteligence to understand that his attention grabbing behaviour lost the respect and affection of the people he most wanted to impress and he lacked the strength of character to cope with that. He took solace in the bottle and hit out at those he loved in a misguided attempt to prove himself.

You can never excuse wife beating but whilst some men think they have some right to physically dominate their partners my guess would be that Gascoigne is deeply ashamed of what he has done. He's not an inately bad person, he's a very sad person who, as a result of his own inadequacies, has not fulfilled the potential of his fabulous talent and who has hurt the people he loves the most. He needs to steer clear of publicity and live quietly somewhere where he has no-one to impress.

As for a coaching post at ICT, if Butcher has any respect and affection for him as a man, that is the last thing he will offer him.

• Agree 4

I dont think I'd have too much issue if it was some sort of casual role maybe. I only know about him from what I read in the papers. None of it is all that good. But I dont know the man. Terry does.

Edited by iamthecaptain1

Nice to see that so many are concerned for the welfare of this drunken bully with a penchant for wife battering (and no it's not alleged, he's admitted it on several occasions whist indulging in yet another one of his self pitying confessions).

Saddens me that despite his history adulation still abounds. Perhaps it's the huge contribution he made to ICT that attempts to justify this forgiving approach? Perhaps not. Surprised a campaign for inclusion in the Hall of Fame hasn't emerged yet. Still, only a matter of time.

This isn't a maverick like Jimmy Johnstone or George Best. This is an excuse for a man who batters and abuses but only those who don't hit back. Scum.

Intelligent people should know better.

You obviously haven't read up on JJ then, and his wife beating antics, and GB who treated his woman like sh!t on the bottom of his shoe. Whilst intentionally drinking hiself into an early grave, whi;e PG has done nothing but try to sort his self out.

Gazza has shown in the last 11 months he can be back to his old self. When it comes to the wife beating bit, it was a one off, one too many granted, however there are both sides to either story. Do you not find it strange his ex wife, and her daughter(nothing to do with PG) still use his surname? I think that should tell you all you need to know about those women.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Very harsh CaleyHE. I agree with Terry this programme was very painful to watch. At times Gazza seemed to find it hard to string the words together and looked a shadow of his old self. I was disappointed though that when Piers Morgan confronted Gazza about beating Sherell he really didnt take him on at all and didnt deal with the question. Sorry no one deserves domestic violence (man or woman) regardless of what type of woman people regard them as being. As you state there are always two sides to a story but no matter what the story there can be no excuse for this type of violence. Also I think he is on record admitting that it happened more than once.

Sorry would be horified of Terry changed his mind and went with this.

• Agree 1

Full Article here: http://www.dailyreco...86908-23562988/

Butcher left Ibrox six years before PG arrived.

Someone will benefit from PG's footballing brain eventually, whether the time is right for it now, or in a year, it will happen. It is also what he needs.

Otherwise, he will just end up another jinky, jim baxter or bestie, heaven forbid.

And I also read on this thread that he was taken on by some bad influences in his career. Sometimes Gazza was the bad influence, as players such as Charlie Miller & Sandy Robertson will be well aware of by now.

Edited by CaleyHE

Every person, from every walk of life, will have an opinion on the saga that is Paul Gascoine. Butcher has admitted he thought about a way that may, or may not, have helped the man. He dismissed that thought very quickly.

Paul Gascoine, like many before him, and many to come, is a victim of his own success. He was brought up through the very lowest end of our classless society. He had niether the skills nor the understanding to cope with the fruits of his success. On a few occassions he was built up then hammered back down again by the British press. He made mistakes. He became involved with unsavioury people. Basically he f***ed up. Now he is paying for all that. Throughout his successful times nobody came along that could help him cope with his successes. He had no guidance on the right side.

Perhap's if PG had had the father figure that is Alex Ferguson and the support and guidance throughout his life that MU affords their young stars then he may have turned out a very different person. As it was he was left to his own devices so long as he turned up to train and play.

Paul Gascoine done wrong. He paid for those wrongs with convictions, with loss of his wealth and with loss of his health. 44 years old looking like 84 and likely to be dead by 54 if he continues in his ways. We can all chastise the man for his past wrongdoings but perhaps its time the society that made him and broke him got to grips and helped rehabilitate him.

• Agree 4

Every person, from every walk of life, will have an opinion on the saga that is Paul Gascoine. Butcher has admitted he thought about a way that may, or may not, have helped the man. He dismissed that thought very quickly.

Paul Gascoine, like many before him, and many to come, is a victim of his own success. He was brought up through the very lowest end of our classless society. He had niether the skills nor the understanding to cope with the fruits of his success. On a few occassions he was built up then hammered back down again by the British press. He made mistakes. He became involved with unsavioury people. Basically he f***ed up. Now he is paying for all that. Throughout his successful times nobody came along that could help him cope with his successes. He had no guidance on the right side.

Perhap's if PG had had the father figure that is Alex Ferguson and the support and guidance throughout his life that MU affords their young stars then he may have turned out a very different person. As it was he was left to his own devices so long as he turned up to train and play.

Paul Gascoine done wrong. He paid for those wrongs with convictions, with loss of his wealth and with loss of his health. 44 years old looking like 84 and likely to be dead by 54 if he continues in his ways. We can all chastise the man for his past wrongdoings but perhaps its time the society that made him and broke him got to grips and helped rehabilitate him.

Well said Alex. I also would never condone violence of any kind but PG is a sad, sorry figure and, more to be pitied than scorned. Oh dear. How lucky are some players, past and present, to have caring managers who people manage properly. Interpersonal skills is an art, not always evident, but can be learned.

I was calling for him to be sacked when the news broke, but he's in such a very poor state that it's difficult to feel much but pity. I still hold him accountable for his actions at the time but he's a broken man now. I suspect he's not much longer for this world. George Best didn't care. He lived the high life and, for the most part, seemed to enjoy it. Doesn't look like Gazza's enjoyed himself in years. Certainly not in the same way most of us know it. It's a long road back and I'm not convinced he'll make it but let's hope for the best.

ICT fans chastisng a football player for assaulting his wife !!!! Ironic or what ?

I think if you read my post you will see that I didnt condone domestic violence in any shape or form no matter who is/was involved.

I think you should look up the meaning of chastising :doh:

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Oh dear....nobody biting DC. Nice try!!!

Dont think they quite understand the meaning of the word chastising !!!

I wonder do you........or do you just choose one of the two meanings that the dictionaries produce?

1. (v. t.) To inflict pain upon, by means of stripes, or in any other manner, for the purpose of punishment or reformation; to punish, as with stripes.
  2. (v. t.) To reduce to order or obedience; to correct or purify; to free from faults or excesses.

I got the impression that Terry Butcher had a conversation with a journalist who in turn turned it into a 'story', when I read it in the P&J I thought it was a pretty obscure piece at the time. On reflection I'm even more of that initial line of thought.