FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Billy McKay v. Adam Rooney

Sneckboy

A bit quiet on the forum due to the International break - aside from Indy referendum thread.

Thought I'd highlight a strange, quirky statistic I've just stumbled upon while updating a database.

Billy McKay and Adam Rooney have got identical over-all records at ICT!

Rooney, for me was a poaching machine, and I was sad to see him go - and gutted when the Dons snapped him up!

But Billy has been prolific, in patches, for us over the past couple of seasons, although is often found 'wanting' at penalty-kicks and one-on-ones with the 'keeper.

If you we picking a team with just one striker, with Rooney and McKay in your squad, who would you pick?

Billy McKay     - League games for ICT 103           goals 45

Adam Rooney - League games for ICT 103           goals 44

Billy McKay     -     All ICT appearances 120          goals 53

Adam Rooney -     All ICT appearances 120          goals 53

• Agree 2

Has to be Billy for me, the overall workhorse making many assists as well as putting the ball in the net.

Rooney, I agree may fit in well in most respects but reminds me more of the lazy poacher of the olden days, doesn't have the same work ethic in my opinion.

I didn't actually answer my own question - I rate Billy, he's undoubtedly got an eye for goal. He's quite streaky, in-that, when he's amongst the goals, he often goes on a 'run'.

That's possibly true of many goal-grabbers, though, who thrive when their confidence is high.

Rooney, as I mentioned in the original post, seems to have an instinct for notching. He's certainly not the quickest, but has a knack of being in the right place to bury rebounds or half-chances.

it's a tough call, but, and despite Rooney probably being even more experienced after his spell in England, I'm going for McKay (sorry, CaleyD, Mckay)....only because some of Rooney's goal-haul came in Division 1. But I'm biased towards the current team!

Sneckboy - if you go back to November last year, and compare Mckay & Rooney at that point in Mckay's games played, how do they compare then?

Not sure what your 'getting at' but clearly Billy's ratio of goals-per-game was far better back in September, last year.

Indeed, when looked at as hard facts, McKay has only scored 6 goals for ICT in his last 32 games! A very indifferent start, a prolific couple of seasons but currently, by his standards, on a bit of a drought!

Hence, why I think It's such an amazingly coincidental stat!

Billy is an International Class player - whilst as yet Rooney is not.

Also Billy is currently performing at the top of the SPFL and has done for a season or two - whilst Rooney is recently performing in the bottom six and that's where he spent a lot of his time at ICT.

• Agree 1

Sneckboy - if you go back to November last year, and compare Mckay & Rooney at that point in Mckay's games played, how do they compare then?

Not sure what your 'getting at' but clearly Billy's ratio of goals-per-game was far better back in September, last year.

Indeed, when looked at as hard facts, McKay has only scored 6 goals for ICT in his last 32 games! A very indifferent start, a prolific couple of seasons but currently, by his standards, on a bit of a drought!

Hence, why I think It's such an amazingly coincidental stat!

Given Billy's drought, as you say, his record would have been a lot better then. My interest would be to see if Rooney's record scaled down pro-rata, or he too had hot streaks.

Rooney scored 14 pens for us and Billy currently has 8.

Rooney, certainly more reliable from the spot. But, the again, taking away pens, McKay's goals-per-game ratio would be higher! But why 'take away pens'? They're worth no less than an open play goal!

Also Billy is currently performing at the top of the SPFL and has done for a season or two - whilst Rooney is recently performing in the bottom six and that's where he spent a lot of his time at ICT.

International recognition is surely not a measure of a player's worth? Graeme Shinnie is in a different league, ability wise, to Thierry Gathuessi. Both current/former full-backs for ICT. Shinnie's not yet been recognised at full international level, whilst Gathuessi is 'international class' as you would put it!

I only asked because taking penalties isn't really part of what makes a striker....I mean, a manager isn't going to sign a forward on the basis that they have a great penalty scoring record (not on it's own at least).  Whilst scoring penalties is important (as is any goal), I just wouldn't include it as a necessary or high value element of a strikers "worth" (for want of a better word).

Its a tough one but id have to go with Billy, his finishing is better than Rooney and while he may not be the biggest or the strongest his quality in and around the penalty area is top notch. He scores better goals than Rooney ever did, I raise the volley in the 3-3 game against County and his pile driver at tynecastle last year. Rooney was a good finisher but I dont remember him scoring such a wide variety of goals as Billy does. Two different strikers yes but for shear quality on show at their best I'd have to go with Billy. 

Billy Mckay with out adoubt. Billy has scored more goals against a higher calibre of opponent if you want to open the stats up.

An extra striker would be good too. Nothing personal we could have Wilfried Zaha as our only striker and I would have the same view just incase he picks up a knock.

I would go for Billy McKay as Adam Rooney took a lot of penalties - and scored them so well done him. But penalties kind of distort the figures as they are not goals from open play.  

I disagree. Penalties are part of the game. Adam is good at them, Billy, whatever his other qualities, is not.

Rooney, certainly more reliable from the spot. But, the again, taking away pens, McKay's goals-per-game ratio would be higher! But why 'take away pens'? They're worth no less than an open play goal!

International recognition is surely not a measure of a player's worth? Graeme Shinnie is in a different league, ability wise, to Thierry Gathuessi. Both current/former full-backs for ICT. Shinnie's not yet been recognised at full international level, whilst Gathuessi is 'international class' as you would put it!

Did I mention Shinnie ??? :shrug:

Billy is an International Class player - whilst as yet Rooney is not.

Also Billy is currently performing at the top of the SPFL and has done for a season or two - whilst Rooney is recently performing in the bottom six and that's where he spent a lot of his time at ICT.

International recognition is surely not a measure of a player's worth? Graeme Shinnie is in a different league, ability wise, to Thierry Gathuessi. Both current/former full-backs for ICT. Shinnie's not yet been recognised at full international level, whilst Gathuessi is 'international class' as you would put it! Did I mention Shinnie ??? :shrug:

Did he say you did?

I get his point, playing for your country is irrelevant on how good you are.

Billy is an International Class player - whilst as yet Rooney is not.

Also Billy is currently performing at the top of the SPFL and has done for a season or two - whilst Rooney is recently performing in the bottom six and that's where he spent a lot of his time at ICT.

International recognition is surely not a measure of a player's worth? Graeme Shinnie is in a different league, ability wise, to Thierry Gathuessi. Both current/former full-backs for ICT. Shinnie's not yet been recognised at full international level, whilst Gathuessi is 'international class' as you would put it! Did I mention Shinnie ??? :shrug:

Did he say you did?

I get his point, playing for your country is irrelevant on how good you are.

Quite.  I expect that if Adam was qualified for Northern Ireland and Billy was from Dublin, Adam would be playing international football and Billy wouldn't.

• Agree 2

I haven't seen McKay live but from the TV, Billy is much quicker and is a bit more craftier (this is a made up word by me meaning more crafty than others)

Rooney goal ratio is inflated by penalties. Take those out of the equation an McKay's goal ratio is much better.

From what I have seen, I would prefer Mckay. But my view is from a long way away.

Edit to correct spelling. Keyboard on a ipad is too fecking small

Edited by Gabby

I haven't seen McKay live but from the TV, Billy is much quicker and is a bit more craftier (this is a made up word by me meaning more crafty than others)

Rooney goal ratio is inflated by penalties. Take those out of the equation an McKay's goal ratio is much better.

From what I have seen, I would prefer Mckay. But my view is from a long way away.

Edit to correct spelling. Keyboard on a ipad is too fecking small

Not according to Oxford. Craftier is an adjective of crafty.

Personally I wouldn't attempt to make comparrisons between Mckay and Rooney. They are both different style of player