FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

v The Rose

tm4tj

The Season Begins Now

This League Cup tie means that we have now met each of the other 41 clubs with the exception of new entrants Spartans.
Bonnyrigg climbed into 8th in League 2 thanks to a last-day win over Elgin. If results had gone differently they could have been 10th and in the playoff. They had the highest attendance in League 2, averaging 920. On Saturday they visit the Caledonian Stadium to kick-off the 2023/2024 season in earnest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ticket Info

New Away Kit

Adam Brooks

Charlie Gilmour

Jake Davidson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Inverness, fresh from a couple of low key pre-season kick-abouts against Elgin City and Nairn County, start the season with a much changed squad since the Scottish Cup Final defeat to Celtic. Gone are Robbie Deas, Scott Allardice, Daniel Mackay, Jay Henderson, Shane Sutherland, Tom Walsh, Ben Woods and Steven Boyd. In come Defender Jake Davidson from Queens Park, Charlie Gilmour from St Johnstone and Adam Brooks from Celtic's B squad who will join the rest of the retained squad....which thankfully includes Billy Mckay.

With the two pre-season friendlies safely negotiated, it's anyone's guess what our starting XI will be against Bonnyrigg Rose in our first competitive game of the 23/24 season. With our three new signings all getting some air time and a relatively injury free squad, Billy Dodds will have a selection headache ahead of this one. Both pre-season games saw two different teams take to the field after half time with everyone managing to get a kick of the ball at some stage. It appears that only Max Ram and 359411912_654592940035418_15967279362021Lewis Hyde missed out. The pick of the new guys might turn out to be young striker Adam Brooks who almost bagged a hat-trick in the 6-0 win over Nairn although he will face stiff competition for a start from Austin Samuels who has also been amongst the goals in pre-season, scoring twice against Elgin City in a 4-1win. Of course you can't keep record chasing Billy Mckay down as he needs one more goal to go level with Dennis Wynes as our top scorer of all time. Rather you than me Mr Dodds.

Image1-1170x650.jpegThis is our new away kit.

Not everyone's cup of tea but I believe it's quite a striking kit. Not many like it about to be honest.

It could be worse, it could be like the Gudgies kit, the maroon one with harling splashed over one side of it or the Celtic one designed in a playschool competition. Horrendous ones if you ask me, but each to their own...

The Visitors: What do we know about them? Let's ask Mantis...

Their manager is Robbie Horn, in his second spell at the club after a short time at Berwick. Like the manager, many of the squad have been at Rose for 5 or 6 years and he remained faithful to the squad which won the EOSL and the LL - a gamble which nearly cost the club dearly. Like many before them, ICT included, the Rose have found that the grind of 36 league games is a whole world away from beating bigger clubs in cup ties.

They had a pretty settled back 3 last season, but finishing was a major problem, and they were the league’s lowest scorers with 36, although they had the 4th best defence with 47 conceded.

Bonnyrigg started the season brightly but were soon found out and languished in 10th for much of the time, before finishing strongly to escape the bottom spot.

They were never pretty on the eye and suffered from a lack of pace throughout the team, and very little quality in midfield. Though I found it interesting seeing them playing in front of a passionate crowd, the highest in the division, a mere mile from my house, they were widely regarded as the poorest team in the league who relied on the long ball - unfairly IMO. It’s a new season and I imagine that they will be stronger with what has been a pretty severe clearout.

On our large pitch I wouldn’t expect anything resembling a high line… in fact I would expect them to tire and be beaten comfortably, but then look at the Brechin and Stirling games last year, although they both did eventually win their leagues. I would expect them to offer a similar challenge to last week’s game against Elgin.

The following notes are based on the side which beat Elgin 3-0 in May, and a recent friendly v Falkirk. Robbie Horn seldom deviates from a 3-5-2.

Goalkeeper: Paddy Martin

Defence- almost certainly Robbie Horn will go with his favoured back three:

Kerr Young - powerful 29y.o. centre-back who loves to get forward for set pieces. Probably Rose’s best player especially since Dean Brett (Kane Hester-type issues) has now moved on. Joined 2016, previously at Dunfermline and Berwick. 11 yellow cards last season.

Josh Grigor - Very promising 20y.o. CB who joined in 2022 from Stenhousemuir.

Neil Martyniuk - 26y.o. CB/LB/WB, joined 2017. Dependable player with experience at Montrose and Edinburgh City.

Midfield:

Ross Gray - Small, nippy 30y.o. wide player who has also played as a striker.

Calum Connolly - a strong, powerful midfielder (29) in the Scott Allardice mould. Has a decent shot on him.

Jonny Stewart (club captain) - a 33y.o. CM who is a bit of a legend, having been at the club since 2014 after spells at a few SPFL clubs. Doesn’t really have the legs for a full 90 mins but still managed 29 appearances last season.

Lee Currie - the  number 10, and the nearest the Rose have to a quality CM. Unfortunately he’s 33 and finds himself in the position 10CC was in when ICT reached the SPL. Not nearly as silky as oor Charlie but takes all the free kicks and has a fine left foot. Didn’t feature for much of the season as he fell out with the manager. Depending on what you hear, he was either disgruntled at not being picked every week, or didn’t fancy the travelling, or both…

Conor Doan - young signing from Uni of Stirling who appeared semi-regularly last season without becoming a regular starter.

Bradley Barrett - a local lad who did well in the LL winning season but didn’t feature much in the SPFL season. Still only 22.

Reis Peggie - new signing from Kelty Hearts. He has impressed in preseason and I would expect him to start on the left.

Forwards:
Kieran McGachie - 31y.o. club legend, joined 2015 and revered in the same way as Billy Mckay is here. Teaches P.E. at the local high school. The player most recognised and despised by opposing fans. Not the quickest but very strong and physical in the air and despite his size he gets accused by opposing fans of being a big jessie who flings himself down to win free kicks. He loves to rumble up defenders and will relish battles against Danny Devine or whoever. His goals were badly missed for a large part of the season due to a recurring knee problem.

Alieu Faye - a beanpole of a French striker, signed from Civil Service Strollers in January, yet to convince the Rose faithful that there’s a player in there.
Zander Murray - the subject of much media attention after ‘coming out’ as gay. Signed from Gala Fairydean in January but hasn’t yet hit the goal trail.

Dean Watson - new signing from East Stirlingshire. Another possible starter as he has scored in preseason and seems to be a hit with the fans.

Thanks to Mantis for that in depth look at the Rose squad

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• tm4tj pinned and featured this topic

Looking forward to this and seeing a new opponent. It will be interesting to see how we line up as I suspect we will still be using today and Tuesday to get as many players as possible game time. Hopefully all the new signings feature. 

I will be heading down about 2.30 and it looks like an afternoon of showers so I’m hoping for a good performance to kick start our season. 
PotY will start for this game, it will be up later. 

The first ever meeting between The Caley Jags and the Rose was played out during a thunderstorm. Torrential rain of biblical proportions fell half an hour before kick-off and that dampened the grass somewhat. Inverness were quick off the mark and opened the scoring after four minutes when Aaron Doran took advantage of a defensive error to score from ten yards. No pun intended, but the floodgates never opened as Inverness made heavy weather of the next thirty-five minutes before Doran curled in his second of the game from just outside the box. What a beauty! 

HALF TIME 2-0

• Like 1
  • Thank You 1

Big chance right at the start of the second half for Rose but Cammy Mackay saves with his feet from Smart to deny the visitors who are far from out of this tie. A raft of substitutions on the hour saw the hosts tighten their grip on proceedings as the heavens opened once more with Billy Mckay and Austin Samuels passing on great opportunities. Doran also denied his hat-trick by Martin's reflex save. Keiran McGackie headed home in the 90th minute following a set piece but it was too little too late for the Rose who gave a good account of themselves as Inverness fiddled with their line-up.

• Like 1

Underwhelmed by that. We always tried to play it out from the back, rarely with success.

The early goal, a great finish by Doran, should have been a springboard but after his second goal, also a good finish, we did not deserve to be two up at half time.

Bonnyrigg had a goal disallowed for a foul in the box, with a different ref they could have had a penalty, and MacKay had to race out of his box at one point to prevent a goal.

I actually thought we were better in the second half as we moved the ball faster at times, but we couldn’t finish the chances we created and I couldn’t grudge the late goal.

Of the new players, Brooks was quiet, and was playing wide left before being subbed. Gilmour could become an asset, but got an unnecessary booking. Davidson was trying to get forward after he came on and linked with Shaw a few times.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt as they’ve only been back for two weeks but that was a poor performance.

Doran the stand out, with Shaw looked the best of the rest.

Tongue in cheek, maybe we’d have done better if we played hoofball!!

What sparked the mini brawl at half time. Did someone say something to Samuels?

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

Good to get a win.  Results elsewhere show how easy it is for the bigger clubs to slip up against lower league opposition.  Two very well taken goals from Doran, and I got from the car to the stadium and back without getting wet.   Otherwise, very little to get excited about.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Wasn’t impressed second half tbqh. Seemed to be happy to see the game out at 2-0. Thought the 4 subs might raise the tempo but apart from Billy looking a cut above, it was just too many square passes. Disappointing to lose a sloppy goal at the death, the Rose fans will be dead chuffed that their hero notched one. Top performer for me was Lewis Nicolson, although if Doran carries on looking like he’s the born again messiah, things could work out pretty decent. A bit early to judge the new signings, none of them stood out for me. At least we got the très puntos on a day when there were some shockers elsewhere. 

Edited by The Mantis
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Wasn’t impressed second half tbqh. Seemed to be happy to see the game out at 2-0. Thought the 4 subs might raise the tempo but apart from Billy looking a cut above, it was just too many square passes.

Fair enough. I thought we looked livelier and tried to capitalise on Samuels’ pace which we didn’t do at all in the first half. After the changes, on a different day Mckay could have had a hat trick whilst a great save by the ‘keeper stopped Doran getting his hat trick.

I hope we are still rusty and using the early group games to add sharpness and that we hit the ground running in the league.

It could be worse. Look what happened to Dundee United, St Johnstone and St Mirren. We need to focus on getting out of this group as we know from last season that even just making the first knock out round is worth £50k. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Happy with that result, not fussed at all about the performance, from comments above it was a bit mixed, but it is after all almost a 'pre-season friendly' given this is just the 3rd competitive game since the players returned. Most importantly we picked up no injuries, this time last year Max Ram lasted just 14minutes before coming off, in a pre-cursor to what became an injury hell for the club. Good to see MacGregor get a decent run out, he could be an important figure this season.

• Agree 3

Thought positives of this were Doran looking more like the Doran of old, Lewis Nicholson looking like a real potential for the season, Davidson and Gilmour looking like they have slotted right into the starting 11. It was a tough day weather wise and I imagine the pitch was horrid to play on however Brooks was a bit of a disappointment and Samuel's looked pacey enough but seems to lack confidence and composure. Cammy in goal was OK but his distribution is poor and very nearly resulted in embarrassment. Plenty opportunity to put game out of sight at 2-0 but for some great saves, but felt we then invited pressure on ourselves for the goal and then looked on the ropes for the remaining few minutes. All in all a good result but clearly work to do 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, CaleyCanary said:

Thanks for the highlights Mannie - has Aaron lost a wee bit weight since the end of last season? He was looking pretty fit…

Certainly looks like it and he seems a yard faster too. If he keeps this going he will be the player he was several years ago!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I thought we controlled that game from start to finish. Yes we were a wee bit off - passes slightly behind or over hit to the intended target but overall we created chances and a bit or rustiness is to be expected. The guys have been at training for two weeks. There were a number of new players, others playing in new positions and others starting for first time in a long time. I actually think we’ve got a really decent squad in place for this league and am actually really excited. These cup games are warm ups for a long long season. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic