FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

v Airdrie (h) Oct28th

tm4tj

Injuries R Us

With last weeks game falling foul to the weather, it might have been a blessing in disguise with one or two struggling to have made the postponed game against Morton. An extra weeks recovery might mean that we will be better equipped to face a sprightly Airdrie side who have consolidated themselves in the top half of the Championship. Game kicks off at 3:00pm at the Caledonian Stadium this Saturday and we might get a glimpse of new signings David Wotherspoon and Cillian Sheridan. Unfortunately Welsh, Doran, Boyes, MacGregor, Nicolson and Samuels are all out with Devine, Ujdur, Harper, Duffy and Carson all struggling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Match Info/Tickets

David Wotherspoon

Cillian Sheridan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Venue Pld Won Drn Lst For Agst + / -
Home 8 4 0 4 13 12 +1
Away 7 2 2 3 9 15 -6
Neutral 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Total 15 6 2 7 22 27 -5

Only the last couple of fixtures have any relevance. The 1-0 home win was in March 2002 when Ross Tokely played and Martin Bavidge scored the winner........ Wait a minute: Ross Tokely is still playing and scoring winners :laugh: ⚽

loss.png
1 - 2
(A)
loss.png
2 - 3
(H)
win.png
1 - 0
(H)
loss.png
0 - 3
(A)
loss.png
1 - 2
(H)
loss.png
0 - 6
(A)
draw.png
1 - 1
(A)
win.png
4 - 0
(H)
win.png
2 - 1
(A)
loss.png
0 - 2
(H)

March 2002: Steve Paterson's 300th game in charge produced a very welcome 1 - 0 victory which stopped a slide down the league.

Ian Broadfoot reports:

Caley Thistle lay fourth last Saturday but slipped to seventh in midweek without kicking a ball. This win resulted in a climb to fifth. The first half was a nervous period with Caley Thistle trying hard but achieving little. Airdrie's best chance came in the first minute when they were awarded a free kick 20 yards out. Mark Roberts drove the ball goalwards and Nicky Walker dived to make a good save. In 13 minutes a high David Bagan cross proved troublesome to Airdrie keeper Allan Ferguson but he tipped it over. Five minutes later a Barry Robson corner from the right reached Grant Munro beyond the back post but he could only bundle the ball over for a goal kick. Stuart Taylor created a chance for himself at the other end in 29 minutes but he wasted it with a scuff past the post. In 33 minutes the home sides best first half chance fell to Dennis Wyness after good interplay with Charlie Christie but the striker hit it over from 10 yards. A minute later Owen Coyle reached a corner at the back post but left it to Taylor but he mishit to concede a goal kick. The tempo of the match changed in 50 minutes when Robson sent over a cross from the left and Martin Bavidge scored at the back post despite Ferguson getting a touch. This lifted Caley Thistle and calmed a few nerves. They kept on top after that but could not score a second goal. Robson strode through the Airdrie defence just after the goal but his shot deflected off Alan McManus. On the hour mark Ferguson raced out of goal to the touchline to just beat Bavidge to the ball. Ferguson saved Airdrie again in 76 minutes when he dived at the feet of Wyness as he stretched to reach a Bavidge curling ball but it went harmlessly for a goal kick. The nerves returned in the last few minutes as Caley Thistle worked hard to preserve their lead. With three minutes left Airdrie nearly stole an equaliser when a seemingly harmless Taylor header beat Walker but came back off the post into the relieved keepers arms. Despite a seemingly endless three minutes of added time Caley Thistle held on to win.

ImageChampionship Fixtures

FRIDAY 27th OCTOBER

Dundee Utd v Arbroath Fc

Queens Pk v Partick Th

SATURDAY 28th OCTOBER

Ayr Utd v Morton

Inverness CT v Airdrieonians

Raith Rovers v Dunfermline

Last Time Out

Inverness were held to a no scoring draw at home to Partick Thistle. A game of few clear chances with Partick squandering the best a few minutes from the end. Still, the clean sheet was welcome. We have already played Airdrie twice this season during our defensive blunder sessions. Airdrie took full advantage winning both games. 3-2 in the Highlands on League Cup duty and 2-1 at the Shyberry Excelsior Stadium in our 3rd Championship game of the season. Nathan Shaw's second half goal was too little too late after a Cammy Harper og inside the first minute and top scorer Gallagher on the half hour did the early damage in that one. Last Five:    

Airdrie also played out a draw in their last game which went ahead on Friday night in a downpour. It ended 1-1 with Queens Park after Airdrie had taken a first half lead when an error in midfield by Queens Park allowed Callum Gallagher to run through to finish with aplomb. Queens got their point when keeper Josh Rae presented Jack Turner with his opportunity which he gladly took. Last Five: W  L  D  

Latest Team News

This was prepared for the Morton game that was postponed. Having played in the North of Scotland Cup semi-final at Nairn, Duncan Ferguson will now be without at least two of those that were beaten by Nairn. It was mainly a second string squad with some returning from injury. However, Danny Devine came off with a swollen knee and Sean Welsh now has a back injury. Add Boyes with an eye infection, Aaron Doran with a hamstring, Wallace Duffy with who knows what and longer term Roddy MacGregor and Lewis Nicolson then Ferguson does not have his troubles to seek. The good news is David Wotherspoon could be ready after playing 45 minutes on Wednesday night. Jay Emmanuel Stewart (JET) has been on trial this week.

So, hopefully the extra week will see one or two be in a better place injury wise and Wotherspoon has had another week in his legs to get back up to speed. Cillian Sheridan has become the latest player to sign on until January. He's been around a bit but could still do a job for us surely. Big misses for us will be Sean Welsh, Morgan Boyes and if Ujdur, Harper and Carson fail to make it then we will be scraping the bottom of the barrel again. Aaron Doran (hamstring) and Austin Samuels (knee) have joined the long term casualy list with Roddy and Lewis. So injuries are us once more. Dunc is hopeful one or two might be fit enough but it's a waiting game after three weeks of inactivity.

Airdrie v Queens Pk team lines:-
Rae

Megwa   Watson   Fordyce   Hancock

Frizzell   McMaster   Aiken (Telfer 62)

McStravick   Gallagher⚽ (Todorov 62)   McGregor (O'Connor 78)

Subs not used: Hutton; McCabe, Dunlop, McGill, Cassidy, Spalding.

Airdrie have been playing some slick stuff of late and this will be a tough one, even with a full squad. Callum Gallagher is top scorer with six goals. Former Caley Jag striker Nikolay Todorov has scored a couple this season but does not always start.

• Like 3
  • Well Said 1

If we are without Carson, Duffy, Devine, Boyes, Ujdur, Harper and Nicolson, who on earth play at the back for us? Davidson and Delaney are the only defenders who are definitely available as we’ve loaned the youngsters out.

I really hope some make it or it could be a difficult watch tomorrow. 

Edited by Robert

• tm4tj pinned and featured this topic

Fraid that injuries will delay our ability to gauge progress and only a favourable outcome and an improved performance will suffice. The question as to why we always seem to have a spare of early season injuries remains unanswered and worrying. Dunc has the same excuse as Dodds should he wish to use it ?

We came more into the mix and David Wotherspoon spooned a shot over the bar from five yards. He really should have scored but he made amends five minutes before the break with a tremendously calm finish. He showed real class unlike the open goal he missed earlier. He turned in the box to roll the ball into the unguarded corner of the net from ten yards after making the space for himself......

• Like 2

Great to get first home win of the season.  I thought Cameron Harper, Max Anderson and Louis Longstaff were the standout performers today who deserve special mention.  Harper in particular was absolutely tireless and always willing to take the ball even in difficult positions. Not a vintage performance (or particularly great match) by any means however given our position at the moment, I'm not really bothered about that! 7 points out of 9 for Big Dunc compared to the 1 from 18 we had before his arrival.... Bring on Utd!! 😝

One observation I would make is that even in recent games when we have looked pretty solid, as soon as we start making substitutions, it really seems to hinder us.  And when we are winning could we please take all the balls away from the side of the pitch please so that the opposition don't have immediate access to them and we can 'kill' the game like more experienced sides seem to be able to do! 😬

Edited by robbo1985
  • Agree 2

This is what Saturday evenings should feel like!

The second half was a hard watch at times, but we got the job done. Ridgers dealt with everything and a few timely blocks and some poor finishing helped too.

The first half was quite even and we scored at the right time as Airdrie seemed to be getting on top. It was a great, calm finish by Wotherspoon which more than made up for the one he skied earlier (in his defence I thought it came on to him very quickly).

I also thought the referee did us a big favour early in the second half. On a different day Anderson would have been penalised and a penalty awarded. However I thought we should have got one shortly after too.

It’s nice not to be gifting goals although we did have some squeaky bum moments in defence, with Airdrie’s right wing back causing a lot of problems.

Mckay and Wotherspoon worked their socks off. Longstaff and Shaw tried to push forward but also helped the full backs well. Anderson and Gilmour are developing a good partnership.

But the biggest credit must go to our walking wounded. Last night all of our starting defenders were on the injury list, and Carson and Devine cannot have been fully fit when they were subbed in the second half. Udjur was not quite as composed today but did what he had to, whilst Harper had a bit of a torrid time defensively at times but credit them both for getting through the game. Sheridan could prove an asset when he is fully match sharp, with one defensive tackle standing out for me today. Lodovica and Brooks still do not convince me though.

I was surprised to see Boyce on the bench, along with Duffy (who was there rather than Hyde from the teams published).

We may lose ground on Tuesday when some of our opponents play and Saturday will be a big test at Tannadice.

But let’s enjoy the moment. It’s a long time since we’ve had a home win to kick start a Saturday evening.

Edited by Robert
  • Like 2
  • Well Said 4

I was following today’s ICT result from the Jeanfield Swifts v Elgin game, lending support to my local team for this Scottish Cup tie. I went expecting to see a competitive cup tie but didn’t get that.

6-0 to Jeanfield 😂😂😂 Elgin were atrocious and offered absolutely nothing. Ross Draper looked exasperated (and slow).

Edited by Yngwie
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

24 minutes ago, Robert said:

This is what Saturday evenings should feel like!

The second half was a hard watch at times, but we got the job done. Ridgers dealt with everything and a few timely blocks and some poor finishing helped too.

The first half was quite even and we scored at the right time as Airdrie seemed to be getting on top. It was a great, calm finish by Wotherspoon which more than made up for the one he skied earlier (in his defence I thought it came on to him very quickly).

I also thought the referee did us a big favour early in the second half. On a different day Anderson would have been penalised and a penalty awarded. However I thought we should have got one shortly after too.

It’s nice not to be gifting goals although we did have some squeaky bum moments in defence, with Airdrie’s right wing back causing a lot of problems.

Mckay and Wotherspoon worked their socks off. Longstaff and Shaw tried to push forward but also helped the full backs well. Anderson and Gilmour are developing a good partnership.

But the biggest credit must go to our walking wounded. Last night all of our starting defenders were on the injury list, and Carson and Devine cannot have been fully fit when they were subbed in the second half. Udjur was not quite as composed today but did what he had to, whilst Harper had a bit of a torrid time defensively at times but credit them both for getting through the game. Sheridan could prove an asset when he is fully match sharp, with one defensive tackle standing out for me today. Lodovica and Brooks still do not convince me though.

I was surprised to see Boyce on the bench, along with Duffy (who was there rather than Hyde from the teams published).

We may lose ground on Tuesday when some of our opponents play and Saturday will be a big test at Tannadice.

But let’s enjoy the moment. It’s  long time since we’ve had a home win to kick start a Saturday evening.

Hyde was definitely warming up during game?? 

Good result,well done all.Aidrie started first half better,but we finished on top.Second half was nail biting at times.Thought Longstaff was star attraction along with Gilmour,Udjur and Shaw. Harper has good spells,but can be careless too.Jury out on Lodovica who can't jump just like a former big striker now wi County. 

All said and done a good win mentally confidence wise and psychology wise.

I'll take a draw  now against Utd.

Edited by Douglas Mackenzie
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

The fabulous execution of his goal was a great introduction for David Wotherspoon but for me the Man of the Match and new version of Bobby Mann was Nikola Ujdur. The Aussie defender is solid, strolled through the game unflustered and can pick a pass. Good graft in midfield but Sheridan and Big Harry need some work done. Shaw picked up a booking at the end when Big Dunc sent him back onto the pitch to get treatment :laugh:

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

I spotted Duffy warming up during the first half so checked who were out at half time and Hyde wasn’t there. The unused outfield subs were Duffy, Boyce and Thomson.

Maybe it was a late change as Hyde picked up a knock?

10 minutes ago, Robert said:

I spotted Duffy warming up during the first half so checked who were out at half time and Hyde wasn’t there. The unused outfield subs were Duffy, Boyce and Thomson.

Maybe it was a late change as Hyde picked up a knock?

Dunno..lol Maybe I imagined it? 

34 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

I saw Lewis Hyde in town with his ICT tracksuit on at around 1.40pm today which I thought was a bit strange. Thought the team would be at the stadium considerably before that 🤔.  I didn't see him warming up but didn't take too much notice of who was at times to be honest.

• tm4tj unpinned this topic