FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Football Cliche Thread

• At the end of the day ...
  • 'Caley Thistle are punching above their weight ...'
  • England are in red, maybe a good omen as they wore red in 1966...

I prefer the 'ColemanBalls' or 'Atkinson-isms' ..... (not all from football)

• That's the fastest time ever run - but it's not as fast as the world record.
  • Don't tell those coming in the final result of that fantastic match, but let's just have another look at Italy's winning goal.
  • If history is going to repeat itself I should think we can expect the same thing again." (TERRY VENABLES)
  • Beckenbauer really has gambled all his eggs." (RON ATKINSON)
  • The game is balanced in Arsenal's favour." (JOHN MOTSON)
  • Celtic were at one time nine points ahead, but somewhere along the road, their ship went off the rails." (RICHARD PARK)
  • I was saying the other day, how often the most vulnerable area for goalies is between their legs..." (ANDY GRAY, Sky Sports)
  • The lads really ran their socks into the ground." (ALEX FERGUSON)
  • We threw our dice into the ring and turned up trumps." (BRUCE RIOCH, ITV)
  • And I suppose they [spurs] are nearer to being out of the FA Cup now than any other time since the first half of this Cup now than any other time since the first half of this season, when they weren't ever in it anyway." (JOHN MOTSON, BBC)
  • ... and he crosses the line with the ball almost mesmerically tied to his foot with a ball of string..." (IAN DARKE, Radio 5)
  • "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria. I saw her snatch this morning and it was amazing." Weightlifting commentator Pat Glenn
  • Race ace Jenson Button talking about driving in high winds: "It was like my helmet was being sucked off."

but the classic one has to have come from just recently ..........

[attachment deleted by admin]

Today, from the Formula One, James Allen (I think it is) said, 'yep, we got our prediction roughly spot on' ... thankfully, he isn't an army sniper or such like.