FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Anybody here ever lived and worked in the USA?

i received a letter from the us consulate in edinburgh today saying my application for a 2 year unskilled workers visa has been passed to the embassy in london for a final review (which is the 6th time its been 'reviewed' !).

im feeling pretty confident about it, the letter i received today for the first to have quite alot of handwriting on it, which means a human has seen the application and my disclosure scotland stuff.  the deal is that if i do get it, i get 2 years with optional 6 month extensions for a further 3 years at $170 a time to work anywhere in the us except alaska (gutted  :015:)

has anybody on here been through this before?  anybody here worked in the us?  is there a nightmare bureaucratic process ahead of me if successful?  should i really be jumping ship?!?

most importantly can anybody in the us explain to me in a little more detail the changes to the online gambling laws?  as far as i understand it i can still gamble online with a uk bank account, is that the case?  tis been playing on my mind for the past 8 months! :015:

According to the member map we have a few users located in the states - dont know them so not sure if they are immigrants or citizens ! - might be worth a few PMs !

considering he'll be paying about 20 million dollars a year in tax i dont think there was an issue!

OK, so you just have to convince them that you will do the same! Tell them you make a fortune from online gambling.....

:015:

:rotflmao:

:017:  if i was making a fortune on online gambling i wouldnt be up for paying tax on it anyway.

scotty- asking on here didnt cross my mind at first until i looked at the supporters map, perhaps a bit early for that!  theres millions of websites with the information im looking for. 

this place must be my comfort zone!

hmm you may possibly be wrong.  ive been to the consulate in edinburgh twice but all other correspondence has been by mail

unless i have to go through all the bits of paper every time it gets to the embassy stage?  the consulate in scotland isnt supposed to directly deal with immigration but they do seem to take applications for temporary visas

so maybe youre right, ive no idea, its a bit late to be calling them!

Hello Clacher...

I could spend the rest of the night telling you why you'd do well in North America. Even though Canada would be my first choice I've spent over a year in the U.S. and I've seen folks from back home who have done better than they could have ever dreamed of "back home" it's still the land of opportunity.

Like other folks I've had me ups and down in the last 26 years, since I jumped ship, but I've never regretted it, and I have to say I've lived a better life than I would have done if I'd stayed in Wigin.

Go for it Clacher, one thing that you'll find helps is, your accent will {almost} make you a celebrity in the new world, yea really, you'll be made more welcome because of it due to the attitude that most folks have over here for "the old country".

If there's any way I can help you then I will, have you any thoughts on where in the US you'd head for ? might even be able to help find you a job...

Good Luck with it, carpe the deim as they say, or grow old and regret that you baulked at the chance... what is it they say, we only regret the things we didn't do {when we grow old}.

One thought re the gambling, there's less appetite for it {in general} over here, folks don't need to gamble to get what the standard of living they'd like, it's achieveable by working for it, so the last thing to do is work and then throw it into the Bookies satchel.

Bottom line ore here is, you don't have to be a Millionaire to live like one...

Canada Bob.

When I moved to Edinburgh last year I made friends with two Americans, one in particular, who was the first to tell me in person how different each country was to live in.  He first came over here purely to see the UK but after a while looked into making it a semi-permanent move, that was until he realised the opportunities for him to work in the media (his degree was in film making and he has already done alot of interesting work back home) was next to impossible.  The allure of working and living in a foreign country was always there for him and remains so, but as interesting as his life was becoming in Scotland he had to be honest and admit there was no future for him here.  Certainly nothing like the life he could make for himself back home.

He was the the one who nudged me in the direction of making the initial application, at the time I had a minor inkling of where and what I'd be looking to do over there but now the situation is very different and if I am granted the temporary visa then I'll basically be flying out there next to blind.  He moved home a couple of months ago and I've been in touch with him since, in that time hes had three jobs, each better than the last, in Denver, Seattle and now Miami where he is likely to be working for the next couple of years.  The original offer was for me to go and stay in his brothers old flat, with him, in Seattle while it was lying empty, work was something I was going to concentrate on finding in the mean time.

Things have changed though, he now works for a Christian animation company in Florida (retelling bible stories through little woodland creatures (!)) and loves it.  My hesitancy in booking flights and job hunting has nothing to do with the circumstances of the only person I know living in the States changing, all thoughts about me moving out there took a big step back when I was promoted into my current job.  For the last while I've thought its more than enough to keep me here in Scotchland and happy.  I even have the chance of buying a house for the first time (though I trust ADVFN's daily emails reminding me to avoid it like the plague!), its never been an ambition of mine but it is a big indicator that things have changed.  If you'd told me a year ago I'd be typing that now I would've laughed in your face, I was unemployed in Inverness and living off gambling, p1ssing away what I won (for a month it was ?60-100 a day, that took alot of p1ssin' for somebody like me) and not covering what I lost, I really didn't have a clue what I was doing.

But I moved on and then moved on again, so not surprisingly I've been getting itchy feet once more.

No matter the outcome of this 'review' I'll be moving back to Edinburgh soon, within the month possibly, this might sound crazy but I'm willing to take a lower paying job with no prospects for what is essentially a lifestyle move.  I'm well aware that it could be a big step back but I'm going to take my chances and see if I land on my feet or my face, either way its a safer option than staying out here and going f'ing nuts with boredom (see the topic entitled 'Best week of your life') !

If and when I hear back from the embassy, or even when I take the initiative and go visit the consulate/embassy myself, it could possibly throw an excellent option my way.  Once I'm at that juncture, should the review of my application come back positive, then the biggest issue would be that of employment.  Whats been made obvious this past 4-5 months is that all I really want from my working life is to earn enough to live comfortably while enjoying it, the more 'comfortable' the better!  Will finding a combination of the two be easier here or in anywheresville USA?

I've no idea, I wouldn't want to fly there and wash dishes or fold sheets for 2 years, thats about all I can see myself doing (at the moment!).

What is for sure is that I'm not going to count my chickens before their reviewed, if I find something worthwhile in Edinburgh then this entire message I've typed in work mode (ie.  capital letters) will all be consigned to history.  :sillywave:

I once toyed with the idea of a move to the US of A, although my vision was slightly clouded by a woman at the time.  I had even gone so far as to start looking at the possibilities of work and what I'd be able to do when I got there.  Like you, I had this vision of ending up washing dishes or serving in some greasy diner just to survive but it seems I had been watching too many American movies.

You don't have to go over there blind, there are agencies just like we have here that will find you work in just about any sector.  A quick online search will give you an idea of what you could be doing.

I had sent my CV to a couple of agencies and the response was huge.  I could have stepped off the plane into a short term contract paying in 6 months what I was earning here in a year and in any one of a number of industries, not just those I had direct experience in.  The other thing I noticed was that you truly get rewarded for the effort you put in.  Unless your working in some kind of customer facing roll then they don't seem to have the "you must be at your desk from 9 till 5 regardless" attitude.  Your employed to do a job, if you can do that in 4 hours a day then the rest of the time is yours, if it takes you 12 then in your in the wrong job.

My circumstances changed and my move never happened.  I don't regret it, but if circumstances were to change again I would be off like a shot (although having seen Canada I'd probably be more likely to look there instead).

USA has always enticed me, and it is a serious thought you move over there in a few years once I get some experience.  There is a lot of demand for my chosen career (though I have yet to graduate) and I know that I can get a great deal in America.  However, I don't know if it is worth it in the end when I have quite a large option of countries I could work in easily.

Po-faced comment coming up:

Having visited both nations on holidays of about 3 weeks each, and done home exchanges so that I didn't feel entirely like a tourist, ie I bought the newspapers, interacted with the neighbours, attended events with them etc. I would say:

(as someone who truly feels emotional when coming back to Scotland after even a short absence)

Canada is the only country I have ever visited where I thought I would seriously consider moving if I was younger.

USA- I went there before discovering the internet. I'm better informed now  :015: :015: :015:

Po-faced comment coming up:

Having visited both nations on holidays of about 3 weeks each, and done home exchanges so that I didn't feel entirely like a tourist, ie I bought the newspapers, interacted with the neighbours, attended events with them etc. I would say:

(as someone who truly feels emotional when coming back to Scotland after even a short absence)

Canada is the only country I have ever visited where I thought I would seriously consider moving if I was younger.

USA- I went there before discovering the internet. I'm better informed now  :015: :015: :015:

So what would put you off moving to the USA..?

I know your offer is for the US Clacher, and if you decide to head for Florida then I'm pretty certain that I could help you get a job there, at least something to help get you on your feet.

Although FL is a great place to visit there's too many Diego's there for me, it's a wearying experience being greeted with "Hola" instead of "How do", so Florida in small doses is all I can take.

As for Canada, well 26 years here, and having now lived in 4 Provinces, I can't find a better place in the world to live, for a lot of reasons.

It's not the Rockies, or the rivers, or the lakes or the forests that make Canada a great place to live, it's the folks who live here, mostly immigrants by the way, there's more of us, than there is of them {the home growns}.

Last time I looked at Stats Canada there was about 33 Million folks living here, approximately 15 Million were born here, the rest of us climbed aboard one way or another.

No matter where the folks came from or what the mix is these days, you find that Canada isn't a socially stratified society, they don't care if you're a floor sweeper or a CEO, folks welcome you into their neighbourhood and into their activities as though your a long lost cousin.

That's my experience anyway, no doubt it isn't everyones, but I'd say that's the way it is for most folks. So it's the people that make Canada a great place to live, the respectful attitude that they afford each other, the way it used to be in Wigin 40+ years ago.

If you hanker for your roots, if you like all things Scottish, then you won't miss out on much here, especially in Nova Scotia {New Scotland}.

They say that of the 1 Million folks who live in Nova Scotia around 70% are Scottish within 3 generations. We have the gathering of the clans each year, thousands come here for that, we have more pipe bands than you can shake a stick at, even Highland Games and so on.

No Scot would feel a loss of his heritage in Nova Scotia, nor in many places in Canada.

Add to that, you can hop on a 'plane from Halifax and be in Scotland faster than you can get {by train} from Inverness to Wigin, yea really...

and at the prices of rail tickets these days, the flight would cost you less too, $199 {100 quid, return} is often available from Halifax to Glasgow.

As I've mentioned, I've had me ups and down, went from signing off F18's {as an airworthiness Inspector} to clearing snow from peoples drives in Winter, and then to picking peaches in Summer, a wild ride indeed, but loooking back I'd have chosen that rather than take

a quiter path through life.

One thing I've learned Clacher is, the only things we really regret are the things we didn't do, "scarpe the deim" worked for me.

As for other folks considering jumping ship, well, the unemployment rate in Canada is around 6%, not sure what it is in Old Blighty these days, but when I go back there near everyone I know is out of work, most of them still living in the same house they lived in 20 or 30 or 40 years ago.

When I'm here I don't know anyone {other than the brother in law} who's out of work, yet he's living better than most folks with Professional careers in {say} Wigin.

Right now Canada can't find enough workers, been that way for a long time, but worse than ever right now, mostly due to the incredible demand for all kinds of able bodied folks out in Alberta, where even truck drivers can earn ?2,000 a week. Anyone with a trade can make big money out there, you name it from brickies and all building tardes, to industrial electricians, draughtsmen, welders, mechanics, etc.

The wages tend to be higher in Canada than in the UK, the taxes are about the same, but the big ticket items, cars, houses etc, the stuff that can really make a hole in yer wages, are around half the price that the same type of house would be in Wigin.

I sold a house last year in Wigan for ?249,500 {$550,000 Cnd}, that house stood as 1 of 26 on 1.4 acres of land, {the whole street on 1.4 acres}, all the houses detatched by the way...

I bought this house in Nova Scotia for $100,000 less, this house stands on {its own} in 2 acres of land, on an estate that is centred around a golf course {Glen Arbour}, with 6-7 lakes stocked with trout, and yet I rarely see anyone fishing, should mention there's no such thing as "Private Stretches" here, for $15 a year you can fish anywhere...

The car I have costs ?5,000 less here than in the UK {a VW Jetta TDi}

and petrol/diesel right now costs around .47p a litre, and the locals think they're being ripped off !

Check the standard of living that a blue collar guy can afford over here, have a look at this web site, almost every house in Canada that's for sale is listed on here.

http://www.mls.ca

Take a look what ?250,000 {average price for a detached house is now in Wigan} buys you in Nova Scotia, ?250,000 is around $550,000 Cnd.

Check this one out, one of the neighbours, asking price around ?235,000, you'd get it for ?225,000 easily, all the homes on our estate come with lifetime memberships to Glen Arbour Gold Club, you don't see that in Wigin...

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?vd=...pertyID=5933173

Or this if you like fishing right from your own backyard, ?235,000 would buy this...

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?vd=...pertyID=5974214

Here's one we nearly bought... ?225,000 would buy you this, right on the ocean too...

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?vd=...pertyID=5540194

If you don't have ?200,000 or more to spend this is what ?125,000 buys you in Nova Scotia.

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?vd=...pertyID=6043811

Or this... better fishing here than in the Leeds and Liverpool...

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?vd=...pertyID=6040236

Here's one if your into older homes...

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?vd=...pertyID=6078862

?110,000 would get you this with it's 7.5 acres...

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?vd=...pertyID=6078862

Or your own 80ft sandy beach for around ?120,000.

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?vd=...pertyID=6078879

And so it goes... I don't know anyone back home living as good as this, best that most of them have done is to buy their own house from the Council, you don't get a lake or a golf club or a beach with that.

Best move I ever made, coming to Canada...

Canada Bob.

Some interesting stuff coming up here.

I once toyed with the idea of a move to the US of A, although my vision was slightly clouded by a woman at the time.  I had even gone so far as to start looking at the possibilities of work and what I'd be able to do when I got there.  Like you, I had this vision of ending up washing dishes or serving in some greasy diner just to survive but it seems I had been watching too many American movies.

I have no idea what would happen to me, not knowing what I want to do is as big a stumbling block as not having the relevant experience or qualifications to do something interesting.

Any move to the new world would be a mistake unless I was 100% sure of where I was going and what I wanted to do.  I'm not quite there yet.

I know your offer is for the US Clacher, and if you decide to head for Florida then I'm pretty certain that I could help you get a job there, at least something to help get you on your feet.

Although FL is a great place to visit there's too many Diego's there for me, it's a wearying experience being greeted with "Hola" instead of "How do", so Florida in small doses is all I can take.

I'm not sure if I want to goto Florida, the original plan was to head to the north west or possibly California, I appreciate all the replies on this thread (and the pitch to Canada!) but I have to try not to think about it until its set in stone, in black and white, that they'll let me in.

I'm not a brickie, welder, mechanic etc.  I dropped out of University in my 3rd year and have drifted between jobs since.  I have had a couple of professional roles and am currently denying a University graduate a job I should never have been interviewed for, I'm really only now gaining real experience in the big bad world of work, if I'm honest I dont think I'm ready to go anywhere.  That isn't a confidence issue I'm just being realistic, anything I could blagg my way into could just prove too difficult, theres no guarantee I could deliver.  The difference between failing in a job in the US and failing here is that in the UK I have a natural support network that for the foreseeable future will always make sure I've got somewhere to work or live, should whatever path I choose go tits up.

Its all academic for now, I've no idea when I'll hear back from the embassy. I just need everybody to cross their fingers and hope I've got an absolute b#stard of a choice to make over the next few months.

you might not have the qualifications Clacher but you certainly have the ability.  i think you're doing yourself down when you say some of the things you do.  you're more than capbable of getting a good job and holding on to it.  there is also the advantage that if it doesn't quite work out you would be willing to fold the sheets till something came up which it undoubtably would.

of course if your wee nest egg is not too bad you could always think about finishing your uni and then you may feel that it's ok to be doing jobs like the one you are!

Go for it Clacher, you've nothing to lose and everything to gain...

good luck

Thanks maimie, support welcome!  Though as above, I'm not actually going anywhere at the moment..

I'm not so sure I have the ability to do anything I want, that I once believed I could!  I'm not fishing for compliments, there would be no point, theres always an arsey email from my boss or a p1ssing phone call to bring me back to earth.  Never mind the fact that I'm struggling to find a job in Edinburgh of all places, nothing more than speaking English as a first language should have me set for life there.

Unfortunately the University option is not worth it until I'm 25, thats the minimum age I can apply as a mature student to have my tuition fees paid and apply for a regular student loan to help me out.  Applying now would require both my parents and myself to be means tested.  In that scenario I'm only eligible for the minimum loan and not entitled to have my tuition fees paid for me, as I was very lazy in dealing with the mechanics of paying fees when I studied in Brighton, my student loan repayments for that period are calculated differently because I never went about applying the right way.

I could pay for it all myself but seen as I'm 24 it would be mad to hurry things along, there is no need for me to be holding a Product Design Degree and there probably never will be.  I have no interest in spending 6 months having to explain to a team of failures how Pre-Modern Conceptionalism indirectly affected the greatest machine ever built by man, the shopping trolley!  :017:  And keep a straight face.  Not yet anyway.

• 2 months later...

Well.. It's mixed news.  I need to find a job or a sponsor as I'm not a University graduate or a medical professional, I also need to prove that I will be able to support myself for the duration of the visa (does that mean I need 2 years worth of cash in the bank?!  :017:  Or my parents support?  It's not a holiday I'm planning and I've now asked these questions to the consulate and embassy).

One big plus in my favor is that at no point on the 500 bits of paper I filled in did I mention anything about staying permanently or applying for citizenship (which takes out alot of bureaucracy).  Because of this I may be allowed to visit the states to search for work, though I wouldnt be allowed to until everything was cleared in the UK.  If I'm doing this I'll need to travel to the London embassy so they can do something with my passport.  Theres not a chance in **** I'm posting this as I know UK Passports are worth alot of money to some asylum seekers who could easily use it to forge one for themselves, I'm not so much worried about the cost of getting a new passport but I could see the process of proving I've had it stolen rather than sold being a nightmare!

I've made one phone call and sent a couple of questions by post, I'm going to try and arrange an appointment to speak to somebody face to face for the first time in months about it all.

The lad I know in Florida has moved with work again, this time permanently, he now lives in New York (a Polish/Irish area of Brooklyn, apparently all the street signs are in Polish and everybody who works there is from Glasgow, Belfast or Dublin) if I do go for it I'll probably end up there.  Apparently his doors open and hes waiting.

Hey, I plan to live in New York for a few years at some point in the future.  Not sure how easy it would be but I'm a graduate with a decent job so a few years exerience under my belt we'll see what happens.

For what its worth Clacher mate it seems to me as tho you want more than to move to actually find something you're happy doing?  I know myself how important this is and it took me a long time to work out what i wanted to be doing, i was 24 when i went to Uni.  I've a good job now (not great pay but ok - its my first career job since uni) and my own flat, even once you work out what you want to spend your days doing things just don't fall into place and you'll still doubt yourself - its natural - I'm seeing a girl who's an architect at the moment and she left uni over 2 years ago yet says she still feels like she's bluffing her way thru the job even now!  Personally if i was you and i got the chance to head to the US now I'd be off straight away - but I'm not you!

Either way best of luck mate.

I havent got a scrappy doo what I want to be doing KingBeastie and thats the problem.  A year ago I wouldve bitten somebodies arse off for the job I have now and the opportunities that have already started to come through it, but I'd give it up in a second now (incidentally I'll need to decide that soon!).

Cheers for the support

Clacher--there are certain things that are against you and some for you in your desire to move.

I moved here to Canada well over 30 years ago but my choice was to some extent made for me because the promotion that I thought I deserved and had worked for was not be given for another year and I felt that was unreasonable so I decided  to take the chance.  Of course I did have a job to go to but what I did not expect was that few people  wanted to help me along the way in my employment--that is by no means an unusual attitude since you represent a threat to other employees in your organisation and they just don't want to spend time training or helping you when you might be smarter than they are  etc.

Most immigrants who stay in Canada therefore  have a quite challenging time of it in the first two years but when they find their feet and adapt then their natural abilities and character take over and you

are more willing thereafter to expand your wings and try anything. In the USA I think that the people may be somewhat more open in their approach than the average Canadian. American businessmen are more willing to take a risk whereas the average Canadian business person is more cautious.

Canada Bob obviously makes many good points and if I had to make a choice again between the 2 countries I would choose Canada. The medical services in the USA cost a literal fortune; my son had a 7-hour heart stent operation here five years ago which the surgeon told him would have cost $500,000 in the States and it was all free!! Cars in the U.S. are considerably cheaper than in Canada and with the housing market collapse in the States due to the sub-prime mortgage scandal , meaning that thousands of houses are now on the market at rock-bottom prices when the owners had to walk away,  you can pick up a beautiful home for  a great price. In Canada the further West you go the higher the price with Vancouver having  the highest prices in Canada--average 3 bedroom house now costs $500,000 which is still higher than a similar house in the U.K. is it not?

Canada is currently giving preference to Immigrants who have good professional qualifications but if you do not have a job to go to , or a place to stay, I think that your chances of being accepted are minimal-- UNLESS you state that you want to go to Alberta, where the economy is so overheated due to the oil patch successes and the new tar-sands projects  coming onstream with stupefying future wealth in prospect, that you could step off the plane and walk straight into a menial job paying high wages. This Province is crying out for any employee that can lift a  tray of tea and scones or a shovel or knows anything about computers which I assume that you do. Then you may be able to secure a fast-tracked immigration application to Calgary of Edmonton.

For the States without a GREEN CARD you cannot work there. Florida has nice weather but little industry whereas Seattle is close to Microsoft, Boeing ,etc and has been acclaimed as the most desirable city to live-in in the States for these reasons (jobs) and the fact that they are on the West Coast with the Pacific at hand, fantastic outdoor activities, hiking, skiing, boating, etc. etc. and a lot of culture.They are also vying for a new soccer Franchise in the MLS (Major League Soccer)

Seattle is a city who communicate well with Vancouver which is situated about 100 miles North of them just over the border (the 49th paralllel)in Canada.Both cities are very busy sea ports with Vancouver now the busiest port in Canada.

The bottom line here Clacher is what you really want deep down.You appear to be restless and are looking for adventure, new challenges  and a wider spectrum of experiences. If you have never skiied downhill on  the myriad slopes adjoining Vancouver and Seattle you have not lived--wonderful snow and breathtaking views all around you--it's worth a try isn't it? Nothing ventured nothing gained . But you do need ambition, a determinatrion to succeed at something and  a willingness to fall down and be able to get up and go again .Canada Bob  referred to this and he is not alone in the fall -down department. I tried to work another business and ended up losing my house and car  but just kept on going and recovered financially. These things taken as a given,  this is a land of opportunity where money or the lack of it is the only limiting factor. Your social stratification is largely determined by your finances not your birth certificate or lineage.And Canada is a very multi-cultural country where you can do anything you like.

If you want to discuss it further please email me and I can telephone the U.K. for 5 cents a minute so it won't cost a thing for you to ask further questions. LOL

If you know in your heart that you want to try this then just go for it.

At your age what do you have to lose...eh? There is a big challenging world out there. Am I glad I came here to Canada?--YES I am.

You can always go back but at least you will have the comfort of knowing that you were one of those who tried. And I can tell you that it is very likely that you will not return to Britain because you will find that the experience and experiences will have changed you making you more resilient, more confident and knowing of your own abilities, and with a brighter future ahead of you too.

Send me an email Clacher if you want to communicate privately.

Meantime, all the best, Scarlet.  :022: