FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Barry Wilsons Dad

MissICT

I was reading somewhere that Barry Wilson's dad, bobby Wilson, was a footballer and I was wondering how good he was and who he played for!!

so could anymore give me any more information :symbol_question: 

Guest macgint71

Played for dundee in the 60's, was a defender and has made the most appearances in Europe for the club

Bobby Wilson was a hard as nails Full Back who played more than 250 games for Dundee from 65-76 including the League cup winning side in 72 and many euro games ,A Dee legend and can be seen at most ICT games home and away supporting Barry,a true gent who always has time to stop and talk football with the fans, he was down at the Dundee player of the year awards a few weeks ago....LEGEND and a genuinely nice guy.

Barry takes his looks of his mum and his behavioural skills from his dad.

Barry was fifteen when he first joined County. One saturday morning as he was getting ready to set out for the game Bobby told him he wouldn't be playing. Barry ran to his mum with a tear in his eye. Needless to say he was on the teamsheet that day.

But he never got a game.  :019:

Bobby Wilson is one of the best guys I know.  A true Gent.  I didn't realise what a Dundee legend he was until Maimie and I joined Heilandee for a pre match drink in Dingwall.  It was amazing to see the Dundee fans seeking photos and autographs.  I know Bobby has learned to look in to caley thistle online now and again, so I'd better be nice.  :001:  Barry's Mum is also a lovely person.  I really missed them at the games when Barry was on loan.

It would be difficult to overestimate the huge amount of effort and the contribution Bobby made to Ross County's election to the SFL in 1994. bobby joined County in 1987 when they were ?250,000 in debt and unable to pay players. By the early 90s they were Highland League champions in addition to many other trophies won and had several famous Scottish Cup victories to their credit.

Bobby had previously been manager at Keith and Raith Rovers.

Bobby has a League Cup winner's medal from 1973/4 when Dundee defeated celtic 1-0 with a Gordon Wallace strike, in the days of power cuts and 3 day week etc. If I remember the game was played with the Hampden lights on half power and it was a gloomy, wet day.

Note to Heilandee - I had to check when you said 72 as I was sure it was 73, and it was 73, the 15th December to be exact.

Note to Heilandee - I had to check when you said 72 as I was sure it was 73, and it was 73, the 15th December to be exact.

Yer absolutely correct Mantis (as usual!) Eh was one of the few there and even wrote a wee piece on my memories of the day in 73 on oor website .My only excuse last night was i was no long in from the Fluke and had a few beers  :029:

Eh mind oh 73

Objection Sir Mannie......how can a thread about the father and most loyal fan of one of the greatest players ICT has ever signed be non-ICT

that's what I was thinking!!

Who moved my post??

:008: :008: :008:!!

Played for dundee in the 60's, was a defender and has made the most appearances in Europe for the club

Here Macgint71......is that the same Bobby Wilson we cane?????? Canni b...hes a leg-end! :015: :015: :015: :015: Better take that back...he knows how to come on ere!!! :023:

Here Macgint71......is that the same Bobby Wilson we cane?????? Canni b...hes a leg-end! :015: :015: :015: :015: Better take that back...he knows how to come on ere!!! :023:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

It's a bit of a clutching at straws link MacLeody, don't think discussing what Barry's family is doing just now, or in the past, has much to do with ICT on the field.  Strewth, next thing you know we will be discussing the players dogs........

Redee, please try and post on the correct forum or I will delete all your posts that are spelt incorrectly, or those that have nothing to do with the topic. :blah01:

ps, I moved it :sillywave:

• 2 months later...
Guest supercooper

I agree with all that's been said. Bobby was vey shabbily treated by Ross County when they dismissed him given what he'd achieved for them in the past on extremely limited resourses.

First of all i'de like to wish Barry All the Best.and i agree Bobby the County legend was treated very badly at county.But i think im not talking for myself here ,but Bobby is Still highly respected by all The County loyal.... :rotflmao: