FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

New manager thread (merged)

Guest birdog

I would happily take Robbo back but I've heard a rumour (one of these sources of a source type one) that Butcher was in Inverness yesterday

Indeed he was. Spotted in The Corriegarth with Grassa! :rotflmao:

Thought I saw him on Setanta yesterday afternoon?

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not so certain the club do have any specific in mind at this moment and have been caught with their pants down by trying to be clever over it.

Here's my theory.

They had Pressley lined up and.....

Brewster would have been gone after the Rangers game, but Sutherland (Tulloch) would not allow it as it would have looked like he was bowing to fan pressure. They decided to postpone till after the cup match...a poor perfromance or loss giving them the ideal excuse, but that didn't happen.

Pressley got fed up waiting and went to Falkirk.

Performance against Hamilton left the club with no choice, all excuses had been used up and they could no longer find any straws to clutch at. I also don't think Brewster's comments in the Herald article will have helped (note the line where he as good as says the club can't afford to sack him, that would have p!ssed Sutherland off) and then his post match interview where he demonstrated more than ever that he's lost the plot.

News breaks today that Brewster has been sacked and the club have gone to ground....no press conference and nobody making themselves available for further comment (as at this moment). These are not the signs of a club who have any kind of plan as to where they are heading in terms of a replacement.

Getting back to the original question, Robbo would be my choice. He knows the club, he's a man who's passionate about ICT, he'll reinstall some fight into the time, he's available, he's local, he's expereinced and although not everyone's first choice he doesn't have (many) fans running screaming for the door and would help in mending the problems that have developed between club and the support.

If other candidates crop up then I'm more than willing to see everyone given due consideration, but I find it hard to think of anyone who will tick more of the boxes than Robbo does.

How familiar are they with the game in Scotland?

Has either of them ever been near Inverness?

Johnboy

Good managers cross international boundaries all the time. You only need to look at the number of foreign managers in the UK to realise that.

I don't know if they've been to Inverness or not. I know that Steve ( a Londoner) had never been to Exeter before he took the job there, but that hasn't stopped him doing an outstanding job.

Implied in your questions is the suggestion that we should only look for replacements from Scotland. I find this a bit old fashioned, even naive, if I may say so, in the nicest way.

Robbo for me - Butcher no way. did he not have a really bad time managing in OZ falling out with players etc - I would also take Barry back as assistant as it would be great seeing him coming back on to the park with 10 mins left and making a difference

Lets hope it's now onwards and upwards

How familiar are they with the game in Scotland?

Has either of them ever been near Inverness?

Johnboy

Good managers cross international boundaries all the time. You only need to look at the number of foreign managers in the UK to realise that.

I don't know if they've been to Inverness or not. I know that Steve ( a Londoner) had never been to Exeter before he took the job there, but that hasn't stopped him doing an outstanding job.

Implied in your questions is the suggestion that we should only look for replacements from Scotland. I find this a bit old fashioned, even naive, if I may say so, in the nicest way.

I can see where your coming from but what we need is someone who already has knowledge of the Scottish game and will be able to easily identify where the squad needs improving and who deserves a place in the team.

Perhaps this "arrangement" might not suit Robbo?

Personally I think Robbo is a topper of a bloke and I hold him in the highest regard. He could even turn out to be the best candidate for the job.

But this could be viewed as a risk and do we need to be taking risks at the moment?

I'm not sure we should go back to the past to find our new manager giving what that has done for us lately. How do we know that Robbo is definately the man to guide us out of this and get us to stay up. And yes i know he kept Derry City up and won them a trophy in the same season but the scottish game is a much harder league. At the end of the day the Manager picks the team and makes the changes that he feels need to be made and when. But it is also down to the players attitude and in the recent home games iv seen (apart fae part-time thistle) some of them just dont seem interested in wanting to win the game.

I feel we should get someone who has never managed us before but is expierenced in management in the SPL.

If the rumours going about that Terry Butcher has been waiting in the wings since Xmas is true, i would be delighted with him becoming the temporary manager and then at the end of the season, see how he gets on and if we have stayed up then get him on a long term contract.

I've been one of the biggest shouts for Pressley as player-manager but not at this time. A month or two back with an experienced assistiant/DoF, then fine. Right now, we need someone familiar with the players, familiar with Scotland and experienced in management. For that, it's either Robbo or Charlie til summer - hopefully both! Then we can re-assess the situation.

(BTW, I don't agree Robbo did fail when he left for a bigger club. I also don't think Butcher had a chance in Oz given that after a fortnight, one of the directors said he wanted him sacked.)

I've not read through too many of the posts on this thread, so forgive me if i repeat anything...

to all those who say a fresh start is needed:

1 - We've got the fresh, Brewster is gone - thats as fresh as it gets!!!

2 - A new, inexperienced manger is NOT what this club needs, regardless of if it saves compensation etc.

3 - Pressley & Wilson would make Ideal assistants. They both have their badges and have the drive and ambition to make it, without the brewster ego to go with it - They certainly are not management material, yet... Just like Ally McCoist at Gers.

4 - Robbo in temporary charge until the end of the season would be fantastic, especially if CC or BW were his assistant. We need people who have ICT at heart and dont just see us as their first tast of management. We are a 5-year established SPL side, not amature Highland League (am I saying this right), and we deserve to be shown the proper drive and ambition from people who care for the club.

5 - The decision to have Robbo till the end of the season will give the board time to make a decision as to wether robbo can cut it for a longer term, rather than bring in a fresh face who would need at least a full pre season to figure out the teams faults, strengths and best starting 11 - not to mention transfers.

BRING BACK ROBBO

While I think the trial idea would work in Robbos case do you really think Terry Butcher would give up Scotland Assistant Manager and a lucrative Setanta contract for a temporary post at Inverness?? Whatever the board decides it needs to be quick-ish.

I've not read through too many of the posts on this thread, so forgive me if i repeat anything...

The decision to have Robbo till the end of the season will give the board time to make a decision as to wether robbo can cut it for a longer term, rather than bring in a fresh face who would need at least a full pre season to figure out the teams faults, strengths and best starting 11 - not to mention transfers.

BRING BACK ROBBO

EXACTLY..!!

Terry Butcher or Craig Brown and get Barry back as number 2 to whoever.

Swift no thank you from me to the idea of Robbo returning, plus i heard that if Brewster was to go the board would not consider him as he and David Sutherland apparently parted on "bad terms"

Please don't get Maurice Malpas or Neil Lennon though.

Edited by ajsict92