FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Can We Compete With Dundee?

kencar

I see Dundee have made another signing and this one could potentially be the one that wins them the league.

Assuming Leigh Griffiths continues where he left off last season they have secured a 20+ goal a season striker.

We'd better hope some of these trialists are s**t hot otherwise it'll be mid-table mediocrity for us and all those 'looking forward' to life in the first division will get a few more years to 'enjoy' it!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much will also depend on whether Barrowman can get the better of first division defenders. The move from the second division to the SPL was clearly a step too far. He might be a much more effective striker at this level.

Nevertheless Dundee must be clear favourites. That might not be such a bad thing from ICT's point of view taking a bit of pressure of us.

Personally I would have to say no. If they make the right signings that they actually need and the team comes together quickly although it might not need to given the talent it will have then they will be very hard to stop. In Griffiths they have bagged an excellent striker who will score a bundle of goals for them.

If we are to have any chance we really need our forward line to start firing them in right form the start of the new season. I think we have a solid backline and I am happy that we have Odihambo for another year but my real concern is lack of any creativity in the middle of the park. We have no Rankin, Black, Sheerin type player for us at the minute. If we can add a couple of midfielders and another quality striker then we can give them a good battle but I think we will be pushed a lot harder this year than some folk think.

I'm looking forward to the new season simply because Saturdays without football are rubbish and I am interested in seeing these "new" teams in action against us.

Guest Mahonio

I am not going to say no due to the fact that Dundee have been signing any player that they think will due a job for them because it is going to take time for all these players to Gel and also it is not the transfer window that wins teams leagues it is results so my answer to your question is yes.

it is stupid to think Dundee will win title just because they buy players, it just doesn't work like that, look at Man City or Chelsea last year!!

I don't think Dundee have been compared to Man City or Chelsea very often :rolleyes:

What they are doing is assembling a squad of decent players, most of which, have a lot of experience of life in the first division

I've also read a few people of various threads saying it'll take all these new players time to gel together but surely that'll be the case for us as well??

They are without a doubt going to be the team to beat and I think the best we can hope for is to finish above County this season.

Guest Mahonio

NO THEY AREN'T!

We have played the likes of Celtic, Rangers and big teams in SPL and only missed out on goal difference which states that goal scoring has been our problem.

Have more faith for F*** sake people, even i do eg. i said Scotland would beat Italy (didn't happen though) and we would get results against both halfs of Old Firm which happened twice last year (1-0 v Gers and 0-0 v Celtic).

Can we compete ? Yes we can.

Dundee are certainly putting together a team that looks good on paper and they will be strong strong opponents but lets not forget that we also have a strong team despite losing the likes of Black, Fraser, Mihadjuks, Morais etc.

We have a squad that has just come down from the SPL with many players who have 5 years experience of playing in that league and for once I think we may be underestimating ourselves. Dont get me wrong, it will not bne a cakewalk and I am not predicting we will win the league, but we will be up there challenging if we can get the right start and someone (anyone) finds their scoring boots.

NO THEY AREN'T!

We have played the likes of Celtic, Rangers and big teams in SPL and only missed out on goal difference which states that goal scoring has been our problem.

Have more faith for F*** sake people, even i do eg. i said Scotland would beat Italy (didn't happen though) and we would get results against both halfs of Old Firm which happened twice last year (1-0 v Gers and 0-0 v Celtic).

I think you will find goal difference is the difference between goals scored and goals against. Yes we didn't score enough goals last season, but shipping 9 in 2 games v rangers and falkirk certainly didn't help also.

I'll reserve judgment on wether or not we will be up there with Dundee until we see the final squad that will be playing. at the moment our midfield will probably struggle. I'm sure the management are looking into this and I can understand them waiting to see if they can get a bargain or two from the setanta fall-out.

While we lacking the financial backbone that Dundee posess i think we will give it a right good go for the league. We can definitely compete with them. I really don't think Dundee will be the dominant team in the first division. I can see it being a 3 horse race between, them, ourselves and Dunfermline.

Edited by ajsict92

My thinking is along the same line as Scotty....I don't think we can compete "on paper" in terms of signing "names", but I believe we have a man in charge that will get the best from our existing players and whatever he manages to add before the season starts.

I've also got a feeling we're going to see a very different approach to the game than anything we've witnessed under any of our previous managers.

I think if we get a few new signings in that are good, we are more than capible of challenging them. But as it stands, i dont think we do. They are a very good side and i have to admit that thinks arnt looking that good right now for us. We look to be losing Kerr, out last midfielder who can actually play football. Unless ofcourse Cox is a creator.

Dundee have to be the team to beat in the First Division next year. However, I don't think they are doing what Livingston or Gretna did and buying the absolute top quality of the division. Leigh Griffiths is a good young player but he's only 18 - you often see youngsters fade away after an early impact and perhaps a move like this isn't right for him at the moment.

The Dees have to be favourites for the title but it's by no means a lost cause for the other sides. On a side note, anyone fancy taking a book as to when their new benefactor is unmasked as some sort of criminal? Aside from Livingston, no club in Scottish football has had more dodgy owners or investors than Dundeh.

Much as i would love yer fears to be founded i am too long in the tooth to go down the "stroll in the park" line of thinking.The first division is always competitive with all sides capable of upsets and with us being set up as the big boy's in this years league ,every team will treat us as their must beat game so it will be affy tough.That said, this is the most confident i have felt going into a season since relegation,most years i was just hoping there would still be a team to support come the new season. ictchris , i understand yer cynicism and i've seen enough false dawns and dodgy deals at Dens in the last 40 odd years to know shecht when i smell it,but I genuinely believe Bob brannen and the current board are the real deal and getting Callum Mellville (who is a bona fide business man) on board is a massive bonus.

Roll on the start of the season :D

i wouldnt worry about Dundee , they have their own problems , which are not made public, so i wouldnt worry about a team who could only finish mid table, they are more worried about Caley

Dundee are at odds of 2.62 while Caley are second favourites at 4. This is going to be a make or break season for Terry Butcher. I believe if he can't win the first division he can kiss his management career away. I think the Pars might be a surprise outfit this year.

Dundee are at odds of 2.62 while Caley are second favourites at 4. This is going to be a make or break season for Terry Butcher. I believe if he can't win the first division he can kiss his management career away. I think the Pars might be a surprise outfit this year.

Like Lewis Hamilton is a sh.t driver because he has not finish well this year!!

It will be how well TB does with the players at his disposal.

I think we will do well to keep him for the full year, that is not negative, as he could be noticed and be in demand even if we are not top of div 1. Getting the best out of his team is the key, the team can be so much better than the individual players skills if managed correctly.

This, I believe, is the basic reason for the ICT curse when players leave!

Dundee are puting together a squad of decent Div 1 players but, I think, so many changes at once could be their downfall. It takes time for a new team to gel, to get to know each other and to start playing for each other. I'm not sure if we have an advantage in that respect but we do still have an SPL nucleus that should be able to compete.

All the same this league is not a two horse race. There are other teams sitting quietly in the background building for the new seasons challenges and both us and Dundee need to be very aware of them. QoS, Dunfermline, Livingston, Partick and County are all capable of taking points of either of the favourites. It will not be a stroll in the park for anyone. It is very important that we come out of the blocks running and get a few points on the board early in the season to build confidence and get into winning ways. Come the last set of games, provided we're in the right position, I think we will have the superior strength to fight for the championship.

Dundee? We are going to be struggling to compete with most of the teams in our division.

I think County will be a surprise package for promotion this season, as much as it kills me to say that.

We are going to take in 4 trialists. But who has left or going to leave us, all our good players and our squad is thin with just a few youth players on the books now too.

I think one thing in our favour is that Terry Butcher has a bit more expierence than most managers in our division.

Dundee? We are going to be struggling to compete with most of the teams in our division.

I think County will be a surprise package for promotion this season, as much as it kills me to say that.

We are going to take in 4 trialists. But who has left or going to leave us, all our good players and our squad is thin with just a few youth players on the books now too.

I think one thing in our favour is that Terry Butcher has a bit more expierence than most managers in our division.

Disagree totally with your last point. Terry Butcher has no experience of the first division. Chisolm, Scott, McCall, McIntyre etc all have plenty of knowledge and experience of the teams in this league. Butcher doesn't.

I think well do OK, we have an SPL mentality IE, SPL manager,SPL players and SPL fans.

Dundee are buying up the 1st division. where as we are looking for SPL players.

We may not win every single game but neither can the old firm ?