FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

ICT's future

TopSix

Does anyone recall rumours of Ann Gloag investing in ICT? I've been thinking about where the club is heading and where it may be, in say, ten years time. Will we be playing in the first division or the SPL. I personally am hopeful of the top tier expanding to 16 teams and ICT being one of them. Will our fanbase increase? Again I am hopeful that younger people will be attracted to the club and our fanbase will increase with time. This thread is purely hypothetical and I only post from sheer curiousity as to what other ICTFC fans registered on this website think what the future holds for ICT.

Nearly impossible to say and pretty much depends (as things stand) on the whim of one man who appears to be running the show.

If we're talking about the clubs "potential", then I would have no hesitation in saying that this club could/should be a consistent lower mid-table SPL club (placed 7th to 9th), occasionally finding ourselves making forays in to the upper mid-table (4th to 6th) when we have particularly good/lucky seasons.

Unfortunately, I get the feeling we're heading towards a boom or bust scenario which could cause long term damage and result in us struggling to maintain upper 1st Div. Our Board seem to be adopting spending policies and taking financial risks which could leave us floundering under an unmanageable debt, with no assets to secure it against.

If things don't go well this season and we don't see some major changes at the top then I'll predict administration within 5 years.

So what should they be doing instead? Let go of Foran and the other players who give us a chance of bouncing back up, and resign ourselves to life as a Division 1/2 side forever?

Yes we are spending above our means this season, but it's a one off and worth the risk if you ask me. I would also wager that we will not be in administration in the next 5 years. If it happens though, I'll buy the club and we'll be fine.

Nearly impossible to say and pretty much depends (as things stand) on the whim of one man who appears to be running the show.

If we're talking about the clubs "potential", then I would have no hesitation in saying that this club could/should be a consistent lower mid-table SPL club (placed 7th to 9th), occasionally finding ourselves making forays in to the upper mid-table (4th to 6th) when we have particularly good/lucky seasons.

Unfortunately, I get the feeling we're heading towards a boom or bust scenario which could cause long term damage and result in us struggling to maintain upper 1st Div. Our Board seem to be adopting spending policies and taking financial risks which could leave us floundering under an unmanageable debt, with no assets to secure it against.

If things don't go well this season and we don't see some major changes at the top then I'll predict administration within 5 years.

I'm quite surprised by your pessimism, D. I've always kind of envisaged us as a club that would spend periods in Div 1 and periods in the SPL, much like several other similarly-sized clubs, and I assumed the club was prepared for such a scenario - perhaps the reason I'm not too bothered by our current position. You're obviously closer to the club than I am and have a better understanding of its finances - are ICT doing anything unsustainable that, say, St Johnstone (probably the nearest thing to our equivalent in terms of support and expectations) didn't do when they were in the first division for several seasons?

Edited by alternative maryhill

I wouldn't say I was any closer to the club, but I probably do spend a lot more time investigating and analysing what goes on. I've never been one to accept something just because someone says so and I've never been backward at coming forward when it comes to questioning things I don't understand or which don't make sense.

Our main problem is that we have a rapidly reducing bank balance and no assets on which to secure any borrowing to see us through the lean times. We have a board of Directors spending money we can't afford to be spending (again) to try and make good promises they made and/or actions they've taken. The "again" refers to the money we spent making all those signings last January in order to try and cover up for Brewsters failings.....when the club should have admitted they were mistaken to have appointed him and get rid sooner.

I accept that if we are to regain SPL status then we have to spend money, but we've seen nothing to indicate where that money is going to come from or who's going to pick up the bill if the Directors get it wrong again. Fans assume they Board have a plan...indeed, they've told us they have a plan, but what is it?

How do we survive financially beyond this season if we remain in the 1st Div? More cuts? Reduced Squad? Part-Time players?

Just how much can we cut the cloth, maintain promotion ambitions and avoid the slide?

I remember about 7 years ago when shareholders agreed to the sale/transfer of the stadium in order to clear debt that we were told it was being done to clear the decks and make the way for further investment. At the time I questioned the logic...after all, who wants to invest in a club with no assets? Seems that my fears were, unfortunately, correct as we've not seen a penny of investment in the time since then.

As previously predicted if ICT are not well ahead by Christmas then there wil be no promotion this season.

The crowds in Div 1 appear to be so low that financial instability can only be continued aand I fear the worst for this plucky club of our dreams.

Things are conspiring against ICT this season and past investments in inexperienced players, and players who have not lived up to their much vaunted potetntial, are not currently paying off in results. The way out of this is to cut players from the roster reuthlessly and try to get back some money for the coffers. Easier said than done? Sure--but what else is on the current agenda.

So the only possible way out for ICT may be to raise the spirit within the team markedly and /or get into an enhanced 16 team SPL Division again.

i think most supporters will now accept what was enivitable, that we are very unlikely to be promoted. we do not have the players (the main problem) or nouse to win the league this season.

was has happened in the past needs to be forgotten and we need to consider the long term future of the club (i do not have enough info regarding behind the scenes stuff so this is purely talking on the pitch.)

i think we use this season to consolidate in the division, sign up the players who can perform at this level (hayes, esson, foran) and in january add players after ridding the players who are simply not up to the task.

the main question is - should we do this under butcher and malpas or someone else?

i think we should give them at the very least until the end of the season, i dont think it is fair to judge them now and it would be detrimental to the club if we became like other clubs who chop and change their managers as they presume a right and demand to be in the league above.

this time next season if we still do not look like challenging then i would accept a change would perhaps be on the cards.

I think ICT will probably be no more than a 'yo-yo' club, like Falkirk for example, spending a few years in the First Division, maybe earning a few years in the SPL, before being relegated again. This year, I think our board have gambled on trying to get back to the SPL, and if we are not in the top 3 or 4 at Christmas, we can forget about it this year. That could then have a knock-on effect in the next few years where we would have to cut costs and consolidate in Division 1.

As for getting rid of Butcher and Malpas now, we don't have the money for a start, and what would really be the point when their deals expire at the end of this season. Leave it until the end of the season, and see what they have done and where ICT are.

The whole of Scottish football in general are having financial problems. It really is about time that our game had a makeover, from top to bottom, with ONE governing body. Then have two tiers of 16 or 18.

In ten years time...I reckon it all depends on what happens this year and next. If we somehow manage to get promoted, then the gamble will have paid off. If not, then we will probably have to reduce wages, playing squad etc. and we would be a First Division team for some while.

I honestly can't see us being anywhere near the SPL again for at LEAST 4 or 5 seasons.

and for that to happen, we need a long term manager who is willing to look on our door step for player who want to be here and make a name for themselfs, what grips me the most is the fact that our team of 4/5 years ago were all but i beleve 2 from scotland, now look, and whats worse!!!!! our manager is our national teams number 2!!!!!

our future lies with a home grown young team to develop and bond like our teams of old end off!!!

and for that to happen, we need a long term manager who is willing to look on our door step for player who want to be here and make a name for themselfs, what grips me the most is the fact that our team of 4/5 years ago were all but i beleve 2 from scotland, now look, and whats worse!!!!! our manager is our national teams number 2!!!!!

our future lies with a home grown young team to develop and bond like our teams of old end off!!!

I agree. When we won the 1st division in 2004, there was a group of players who made their way from the 3rd division. Letting Wyness go the 1st time round and Robson unfortuanetly were the worst decisions the club made coming through and this season letting Vigurs and Wood go were the worst. Even letting Rory McAlister go i think was a bad move. He was our Kris Boyd. all we needed was a player(like Niculae) to set hm up and he would score.

No-one seems to realise that this club is very fortunate to have a complete Semi pro league to share with only 1 team(highland League & County). We should be tapping into this lucrative field coz there is some real gems in there. If needs be, loan them out to Elgin or Montrose to gain experience.

The one man behind all of our problems unfortunately can't be touched - a change of Board won't change anything.

i fear you may be right.

what i would really like to hear is the boards and the current chairmans view on where the future of ICT lies....

are we as a club happy to stagnate in Div 1? are there any plans afoot to generate investment? are there any plans to grow the club? what are the clubs ambitions?

i fear you may be right.

what i would really like to hear is the boards and the current chairmans view on where the future of ICT lies....

are we as a club happy to stagnate in Div 1? are there any plans afoot to generate investment? are there any plans to grow the club? what are the clubs ambitions?

Call it a conspiracy theory, but I genuinely think that since Brewster was re-hired - the plan has been a return to the First Division. Unfortunately it looks like the plan is for us to remain here for the foreseeable future.

What nonsense. The Board are spending way, way above the sort of level that is sustainable for Div 1, because they want us back in the SPL and know that if it doesn't happen this season it'll take another 5-10 years like it has done for so many before us.

And going back to January, they spent loads on firing the old management team, bringing in a very expensive pairing, as well as loads of new signings on hefty wages. Because they wanted to go down?

Call it a conspiracy theory, but I genuinely think that since Brewster was re-hired - the plan has been a return to the First Division. Unfortunately it looks like the plan is for us to remain here for the foreseeable future.

Frankly I think that's rubbish. I don't believe that any Board, ours included, does not want their team to progress, and play at the highest level possible. I may agree that our Board does not always seem to get things right, but I'm sure they do have ambition for the club.

What nonsense. The Board are spending way, way above the sort of level that is sustainable for Div 1, because they want us back in the SPL and know that if it doesn't happen this season it'll take another 5-10 years like it has done for so many before us.

And going back to January, they spent loads on firing the old management team, bringing in a very expensive pairing, as well as loads of new signings on hefty wages. Because they wanted to go down?

Who's "they"? I'm talking about a poor excuse for a majority shareholder.

Dismiss it as "nonsense" if you like. Something doesn't smell right at the club and I'm pretty confident that the source of the smell, is "no longer in the limelight" - his words, not mine.

Similar to what CMIB said, our Board don't always get things right, but I believe that they have always acted in what they believed to be the best interests of the club. But I know there are quite a few who will say I'm talking nonsense there.

You have to favour the cock-up theory over the conspiracy theory every time.

It's an ego trip getting on the board of a football club. Doesn't matter how incompetent somebody is, they're never going to step down for the benefit of the club.