FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Winter Break

DornochJAGGIE

I'd be against a winter break. Football has traditionally been a autumn/winter/spring game. I think the football season already encroaches too much into the cricket season!

And the World cup, footballs premier competion is heald when exactly?! :wacko:

Yeah I remember as a lad outside every dark night, unable to see the ball, on frozen grass, but when the summer came I had to go and find something more suitable to do. :(

As others have mentioned, Calenders can be tweaked well in advance of any major Summer tournaments. Given that even most of our foreign representatives based in the SPL would probably be knocked out by then also we could just have a small gap in the calender.

And when our off season is taking place, there is a European winter shut down anyway so no Champions League or Europa League when our leagues are not on. We'd be midway through our season in July when qualifiers start. This would benefit the likes of Hibs Hearts, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen (teams generally vying for those Europa places) as they would all be match fit and in their stride.

In short there are few reasons for not having summer football, other than lets say, tradition.

Is it true the booze ban came in to force after a riot between the OF at Hampden?

1980 Scottish Cup final between Celtic and Rangers. Celtic won 1-0. Rioting started between both sets of fans after the cup was awarded.

Watch the last two minutes

Edited by Alex MacLeod

If Germany and England came onsiode to back Summer football it strikes me that Spain and Italy would, or could, be out in the cold. I think it would not be lomnng befire they also came onside--afetr all, what do they have to lose.

:lol:

Looking out my window. and looking at the weather forecast, I'd say it's very unlikely the game will go ahead.

I'm quite sure the club could get the pitch playable and the stadium safe for spectators, but the old bill will probably decide it should be called off. They'll be busy enough on Saturday, making sure hardy shoppers can get to the retail parks.

Start the season beginning Feb through to July. Have a month of. Resume beginning August till end November.

Thats the ideal time to have the season plus, it would be better for everyone to stay in Scotland when it's sunny(ish) and to head abroad when it's dark and cold. Why do people head away when we have our best weather?

Do Shitaly and Germany not already have a winter break? As well as all the Ice Hockey countries starting their seasons in March and February? I know we're **** at Ice Hockey but, we're good at curling so we should qualify for a feb start.

Start the season beginning Feb through to July. Have a month of. Resume beginning August till end November.

Thats the ideal time to have the season plus, it would be better for everyone to stay in Scotland when it's sunny(ish) and to head abroad when it's dark and cold. Why do people head away when we have our best weather?

Because the kids are on school holidays .

I'd be against a winter break. Football has traditionally been a autumn/winter/spring game. I think the football season already encroaches too much into the cricket season!

They should play cricket in Winter and use a white ball when it's snowing!

Cricket? You mean the insect? What does that have to do with anything remotely resembling sport? :rolleyes:

Strikes me that for many years we have had summer football by default to an extent, because the league ain't finished until the league is finished..and called off games still have to be played.....however far into the "off-season" that takes, don't they?

At least a specific winter shut down does let you know where you are from the off...and I'd do it for the six weeks or so mid-December/January. May not hit all the bad weather everywhere, everytime..... but will it ever really? But it seems easier trying to fit in the odd game into a full calendar than six weeks of games for all the leagues for sure.

Not being in the best of health, I'd not be attending games, however rabid a supporter I was, in temperatures which were verging on the cusp of freezing for weeks........even undersoil heating does me no good at all! So my donation to club expenses would certainly stay in my pocket.

Change the set-up and professional footballers get a month off over Christmas and New Year and a couple of weeks off in Summer........comparing their lot to those 9-5 wage earners, with a 28 day entitlement to holidays, who dish out the cash to pay their wages......... the problem is exactly what?

Well here I go again!! Football shuts down over here till the end of March, so Nauris would not be playing over here , even if he went back.. point to note.

We have a huge indoor sports complex here, with amongst other things a full sized artifical pitch for us footy fanatics and it costs 35gbp for 90 minutes ( divide it in half for each team and it ain't much)and you have changing facilities, room for spectators, and we play all winter and still manage to be bottom!! so far in the league , but we might/ may, if we can afford it, get some has beens to play for us!!! to see out there twilight years!!!

Edited by latviaman

Well here I go again!! Football shuts down over here till the end of March, so Nauris would not be playing over here , even if he went back.. point to note.

We have a huge indoor sports complex here, with amongst other things a full sized artifical pitch for us footy fanatics and it costs 35gbp for 90 minutes ( divide it in half for each team and it ain't much)and you have changing facilities, room for spectators, and we play all winter and still manage to be bottom!! so far in the league , but we might/ may, if we can afford it, get some has beens to play for us!!! to see out there twilight years!!!

I was speaking to a Latvian kid at work. According to him football's not too big in your neck of the woods? He was telling me that basketball and ice hockey are big there. Because both of these sports are played indoors the weather doesn't really matter. Could someone please PM me as to how to create a poll?

Edited by Top Six Next Year

I notice Gordon Smith is ready to seek talks over a winter shutdown in Scottish leagues. Here

But the heid bummer of the SPL disagrees here

Anyone think beating the drum about a winter shutdown for years will do any good against the attitudes of those who think tradition is all........even if the supporters end up with double pneumonia?