FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Top 5 - Strikers

TopSix

According to the stats on this website, in terms of strike rate, Iain Stewart is way out on his own at 57%. Paul Ritchie had a surprisingly high strike rate of 48% as did Craig Dargo. Adam Rooney and Scott McLean come next with 43%. Denis Wyness is just out of the top 5 on a strike rate basis with 42% but is top of the total goals scores list at 101. Brewster was good but to my mind never played enough to be considered in a top five.

Top for me would have to be Iain Stewart by a country mile. Admitedly he was playing at a lower level but the sheer composure and awareness he showed in front of goal suggests to me he would have been knocking them in for fun had he been playing in the SPL at his peak.

There is precious little between the next 4 IMHO but for what it is worth I rank them Rooney, Wynerss, Ritchie, Dargo.

Rooney because he scored consistently whilst in the SPL and was steadily getting better and better.

Then Wyness for the number of goals he scored and the fact that at his best he could fashion a goal out of nowhere.

Paul Ritchie gets my vote at number four not just for the goals he scored but for his work rate and wider contribution to the team. His strike rate is phenomenal for someone often considered as a support act but I have my doubts whether he would have made it at a higher level - can't fault the effot but just lacking a bit in class.

Finally at fith would be Craig Dargo. Again, he played at a high level but I would have liked to see him at the club for longer.

By the way Top Six, why is this not a top six?

I can't see how Brewster can be named first either. His career was very near over by the time he came here. For me, Wyness and Stewart are in a class of their own. The amount of goals they scored for ICT was phenomenal. You could argue that Stewart never played at the highest level and Wyness didn't do much at Hearts and wasn't top when he came back but I just wonder what would have happened if they continued with us to the top flight...

Next up, Dargo. He always looked like he would score. Another one who didn't look anything special before he came and after he left, but a potent striker whilst he was here. Paul Ritchie just below but he's another with amazing statistics. Could he have played at a higher level? His goals scored column suggests quite possibly.

Fifth? I'd go for Foran, just above Rooney. Different players, but I believe Foran would have scored a lot more in a different system. Put Rooney with no Foran and I think we'd struggle more than Foran with no Rooney. Yeah, I know it's not going to plan currently but Foran's getting on and I still think he'll get his goalscoring touch back before too long.

Had he chosen to stay longer, David Bingham could easily have cemented his place in there. But he didn't, so he doesn't.

I can't see how Brewster can be named first either. His career was very near over by the time he came here. For me, Wyness and Stewart are in a class of their own. The amount of goals they scored for ICT was phenomenal. You could argue that Stewart never played at the highest level and Wyness didn't do much at Hearts and wasn't top when he came back but I just wonder what would have happened if they continued with us to the top flight...

Next up, Dargo. He always looked like he would score. Another one who didn't look anything special before he came and after he left, but a potent striker whilst he was here. Paul Ritchie just below but he's another with amazing statistics. Could he have played at a higher level? His goals scored column suggests quite possibly.

Fifth? I'd go for Foran, just above Rooney. Different players, but I believe Foran would have scored a lot more in a different system. Put Rooney with no Foran and I think we'd struggle more than Foran with no Rooney. Yeah, I know it's not going to plan currently but Foran's getting on and I still think he'll get his goalscoring touch back before too long.

Had he chosen to stay longer, David Bingham could easily have cemented his place in there. But he didn't, so he doesn't.

I would concur heartedly with the first four and the rationales attached but I would put Brewster in at number five. He may ahve been reaching the end of his career but he was still a first class centre forawrd when he played for us and set up as many goals as he scored. His movement and "thinking" was way above the top four who were more like natural goalscorers. Foran ia good but not near to Brewsters class.

Bingham was possibly the most talented player that I have seen at ICT - again even though he was at the end of his career but he wasnt really a striker - you could have said the same thing about Juanjo.

It does put today's strikeforce when you start making comparisons.

1= Wyness

1= stewart

3 Rooney

4 Ritchie

5 Hercher - and only because of his hat trick in our first ever scottish league game - remember it like it was yesterday, stood in the howden end with the caley fans which was certainly a 1st for me , lowlifes all of them :rotflmao: although if memory serves me right wilsy scored our first ever competitive goal?

p.s. the comet end rocked

Edited by jagster