FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

They are top of the League below.

CELTIC1CALEY3

That was a very competent performance from Ross County against Partick Thistle last night. Three good goals including the Vigurs free kick which was another masterpiece. However a couple of minutes before that there was an extended episode of sheer brilliance from Michael Gardyne which came extremely close to producing what might have been Scottish football's goal of the season.

However the way the First Division title race went two years ago has completely revised my view of both promotion and relegation issues in football. Although I'm still capable of looking at things from a balance of probability perspective, I subscribe much more these days to the "it's not over until it's over" philosophy.

However the prospect of County bottling it like Dundee in 2010 AND of Falkirk or Dundee finding a charge like ICT did does seem quite remote.

County 1-0 up at half time against Morton. If they win this game, and beat Falkirk on Saturday they could clinch the title on the 24th - if Falkirk also lose on the 24th. If it doesn't quite work like that, then it is still quite likely they will win the league mathematically before April.

If Ross County don't win the league from this position then Derek ADams should resign and all their players should retire from football in shame. It would be the worst collapse since MOrton but at least all their players had the excuse of having money on someone else to win the league

• Agree 1

A strange but sensational end to this game. County stuttered a bit early on but on the half hour Iain Vigurs did some great work down the left to set up Michael Gardyne. Then on 57 minutes Richard Brittain hit a wonderful free kick from 25 yards out on the left for 2-0. Any third goal looked as if it would also come from County, with Steven Craig and Gardyne in particular missing out.... until sub Archie Campbell pulled one back on 87 minutes for "KUM - ON - YEEE - TONNN". (ICT fans please note... some clubs' songs and chants are even worse than yours! :lol: ) Then in the THIRD minute of stoppage time Morton got a penalty for what the ref judged to be a hand ball by Scott Boyd - about which Derek Adams, after seeing the video, insists the player could have done nothing at all. 25 games unbeaten... lead stretched to 12 points with 9 games left... but still an understandably downbeat atmosphere about VP at the end of the night. Roll on Saturday!

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Oh well, at least Michael McGovern, on his return to Dingwall, was saved abuse from the Jail End in the second half. I thought the penalty was a stonewaller - unlike the lady from Falkirk who phoned into Your Call! However I really must praise Falkirk's energy in the second half and the goal - albeit from a 25 yard FK - was beautifully taken. Then there was the star turn of the day! The Falkirk streaker! A section of Falkirk fans on the east side of the Jubilee terracing had been attracting a lot of attention from police and stewards right from the start - especially after they let off a couple of smoke bombs. Then Brittain scores the penalty after McGovern walked and instantly a STREAKER emerges from that part of the crowd, heading at speed towards the Jail End. Falkirk's new 11th man was absolutely starkers - apart from his underpants which were still around his ankles but weren't stopping him from running at a fair lick. Well not for a while anyway. Because the knickers wdid turn out to be his final undoing since he managed to trip on them just at the half may line and hit the deck, leaving an easy catch for police and stewards who pulled them up for him and carted him off up the tunnel. After that, I counted no fewer than 15 dayglo green jackets around that same wee bit of terracing.

Edited by Charles Bannerman