FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

CC reveals 'interest' in John Sutton.....

Libero

article from the P and J

CALEY JAGS TRACK STRIKER SUTTON  

08:50 - 30 March 2007

Caley Thistle manager Charlie Christie has admitted his interest in St Mirren forward John Sutton.

The former Dundee and Raith Rovers forward, younger brother of Aston Villa's former Celtic player Chris, is out of contract at Love Street in the summer and Christie is keeping tabs on the Englishman.

With Craig Dargo out of contract in the summer and veteran forward Gary McSwegan unlikely to be offered a new contract at Caledonian Stadium, a new forward will become a necessity at the club if both men leave the Highlanders.

Sutton has scored 10 goals for the Buddies in their return to the SPL and Christie, who has not inquired about the player, is tracking contract developments between the forward and Saints.

Christie said: "I did notice John turned down the offer at St Mirren and his situation is not unlike that of one or two players here who are keeping their options open.

"St Mirren are a similar sized club to us and these are the problems you can encounter when players do exceedingly well at the top level.

"I played against him when he was at Raith Rovers and he has come on leaps and bounds. I can understand him wanting to keep his options open.

"John had a tremendous first half to the season and his goalscoring exploits caught the eye. There is no doubting he has definitely stepped on as a player."

While the Caley Jags manager continues his search for players for next season, he has warned his players to expect a far more daunting challenge at Ibrox tomorrow as the club bids for a third win of the season against Rangers.

The Inverness men have beaten the Light Blues home and away already this season but, as they bid for a clean sweep for the season in Glasgow, the Caley Jags manager knows Walter Smith has quickly re-established a winning mentality on his return as manager at the club.

Christie said: "There is more togetherness in the camp and that is apparent to everyone. Barry Ferguson looks right back at the very top of his game. I have always said they have quality in their squad, but perhaps they just couldn't gel.

"Ally McCoist and Walter Smith are great at that and they have made Rangers a different force again."

Tomorrow's game will be Caley Thistle's first since their shock 3-1 home defeat by bottom club Dunfermline before the international break and Christie hopes the quality of the opposition will bring out the best in his players.

He said: "These are the games when you can tell the players are right up for it, especially having beaten them twice this season, which is quite phenomenal. It's a game that anything we take from it will be a bonus."

Decent enough player who I've heard Falkirk are very interested in.

Not sure if we have the financial clout to tempt him north plus he's very in similar in style to Bayne & McAllister and that would mean even more humping it up the park  :006:

Decent enough player who I've heard Falkirk are very interested in.

Not sure if we have the financial clout to tempt him north plus he's very in similar in style to Bayne & McAllister and that would mean even more humping it up the park  :006:

yeah that bit worried me a bit too, however its not as if we have an ubundance of strikers just now.

I cant personally see the benefit of going to the press with this sort of thing, our last transfer was conducted in a very shrewd, astute manner which was kept quiet until Marcus' signature was on the contract which meaned the transfer was not open to hijack. If going down this route returns a new striker for the club i would be more than happy though

Hang on just a minute.

Christie said: "I did notice John turned down the offer at St Mirren and his situation is not unlike that of one or two players here who are keeping their options open.

"St Mirren are a similar sized club to us and these are the problems you can encounter when players do exceedingly well at the top level.

"I played against him when he was at Raith Rovers and he has come on leaps and bounds. I can understand him wanting to keep his options open.

"John had a tremendous first half to the season and his goalscoring exploits caught the eye. There is no doubting he has definitely stepped on as a player."

There is absolutley nothing in what Charlie say's there that indicates any interest in John Sutton. This is just the P&J at it again putting words into CCs mouth.

I think Sutton is over-rated, too - much rather see a move made for Jason Scotland - especially now that St Johnstone are unlikely to get promotion....

Agree with you there Johnboy -I think Scotland would be an excellent acquisition. Would much prefer Scotland to Sutton.

• 2 months later...