FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

merged: Temp/Singing Stand

Kingsmills

Guest TinCanFan

I myself remember when Rangers played an Inverness Select at Grant Street as a warm up for the notorious Cup Winners Cup Final in Barcelona in 1972 when I'm sure the crowd was more than 8,000.

As I recall it was quite an entertaining ame with Rangers winning either 5-2 or 5-3.

That could be the same game I mentioned.

This is what I was trying to say earlier. I'm sure it was in the Clach Centenary book, The Lilywhites, that I read about crowds of 10,000 plus for some special games there in decades gone by. Indeed I think Grant Street was the only ground in Inverness capable of accommodating that kind of number. Before the 1990 sell off of land, it was huge. In the case of Telford Street, it was certainly creaking at the seams with 6000 for the St. Johnstone cup tie in 1992 and I also think a similar number for Rangers in 1984. As I recollect, I don't think Kingsmills was even as big as that.

Certainly I changed the BBC copy we ran to the biggest SEATED attendance.

SP - I'm absolutely certain that there were over 6000 there for the St. J game in 1992 and it was packed out that afternoon.

Kingsmills - I would defer to your superior knowledge here. I only based my original statement on a subjective feel for the place. (And it must regularly have felt as if there were 7000 in the notorious Kingsmills away dressing room!)

I think, though, that both these observations confirm that neither Kingsmills nor Telford Street could hold 10,000 although I believe Grant Street originally was much bigger.

I can't remember who on earth I had the conversation with recently about Grant Street finally being bought outright by Clach with money they got from selling players from their great 1948 team. If that hadn't happened and they hadn't owned the place to sell part of it as part of the 1990 rescue, the club would certainly have gone down the tubes at that time.

Well done to those of you who have already swapped tickets.  The earlier this is done means longer to re-sell the vacated seats.  I know they are being snapped up pretty quickly as we were pretty close to selling out.  Please don't leave this until Saturday - for 2 reasons. 1. It will already be really busy at the stadium and 2. They won't have time to sell the other seats. If you can't get there until Saturday can you please phone and arrange in advance so that it can all be processed and ready for collection on the day. Due to the timescale I don't think we'll see a sell out, but hopefully it will be well supported.

From Monday I believe that the new stand will be on sale as normal for season tickets and on a per match basis.

Quite a few have moved now. With the short notice I think if we can half fill the singing section/west stand then we'll be doing well.  I'll be there from 11.30am so see you there.  :021: :021: :021: