FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Substitutions

Ivy League

I couldnt believe it when Brewster made his substitutions yesterday... surely being 3 nil up at home against Gretna would have been an ideal time to give some of the youngsters some much needed SPL experience... or are they simply on the bench to make up the numbers and Brewster doesnt think they are good enough, but because of the under 21 rule he is forced to have them there  :024:

I take it that Richard was injured, otherwise bringing on Roy McBain at that stage of the game was beyond me... although i didnt think Richard was struggling, nor did he go straight to the dressing room when he came off, so maybe it wa tactical... any info??

I can understand bringing on Markus... but why Graham Bayne!!!  Surely a youngster at that stage of the game made more sense...

Do we have to wait until we are 6 nil up to see what these guys can do!!!

I certainly believe Brew would have picked Barry or Richie over Vigurs or Duff. They are there to make up the numbers.

BBC says **** was injured, and obviously bringing on Markus made sense, but I would have liked to see Vigurs on for Russell (who was appaling yesterday) at some point. Maybe Graham got on for his dancing skills though  :014:

That under 21 rule is a pile of p1sh if you ask me. A team should be able to select its strongest possible squad regardless of their age. Are the SPL the only twats that use this ruling?

Can anyone back me up? Every time Russell got the ball he had a half-arsed jog forward then ran straight into a Gretna player and lost possession. I lost count how many times I heard folks around me groaning at Russell's 'contribution'.

Can you point out any highlights for Russell then Chris? He had one good effort on goal which Caig tipped over but apart from that he just continually lost the ball.

Russell has been playing well recently and has done his bit in the clubs recent success.  He still gives the ball away after doing the difficult part sometimes, but surely the midfield is built around him and Black.

Sustitutions were ok, the likes of Roy who seems to be part of this squad rotation scheme needs to get parts of games to keep him interested.  Patti was a good sub, great to see him on and I thought he did excellent, at last a player willing to skin defenders at pace.  Bayne, again a squad player getting his cut of the action and Marius being rested after his exploits.  No complaints from me on that score.  I thought Wyness may have been the more obvious one for hooking, however Brew's decision and I can't really fault it.  Damned if he does and damned if he does'nt 

Russel set up Marius's second goal.  He had a good run in the middle of the park taking the ball from one wing to the other before putting in a pass into the box which led to the third goal. One of a few good moves he made.

Russel set up Marius's second goal.  He had a good run in the middle of the park taking the ball from one wing to the other before putting in a pass into the box which led to the third goal.

Erm, the 3rd goal and Marius's second was from a corner.

Anyway, I thought Russell was really good but his final ball in the second half on one or two occasions was pretty poor. If he had got it right I have no doubt we would have added at least another 2 goals to our total for the day. It was just that easy for us.

Guest Spectre

Firstly I think Russell had a decent game, not least it was his break that created the first goal.  His passing can go can astray but that's often because he's trying to put through a difficult final pass, rather than simply hoofing it up the park hopefully.  And his main job is breaking down the opposition's attacks which he does pretty well..

I would have to say that Russell was our best midfielder by a fair way yesterday.

Black and Cowie were both very guilty for misplaced passes (not picking on them but this is a fact) and Rankin over elaborated at times.

Why are we scapegoating peeple when they have an off-day. If they are doing it consistently then it is fair enuff to moan. When you are winning 3-0 at half time it is easy to take the foot off the pedal or to showboat / overelaborate. Duncan has been consistently "effective" this season - may not be the most polished but is deffo the most reliable. His best "position" is the holding role in front of the defence when we play 4-5-1 away from home.

Guest kingkojak

Can anyone back me up? Every time Russell got the ball he had a half-arsed jog forward then ran straight into a Gretna player and lost possession. I lost count how many times I heard folks around me groaning at Russell's 'contribution'.

Can you point out any highlights for Russell then Chris? He had one good effort on goal which Caig tipped over but apart from that he just continually lost the ball.

i second that!

russell made one decent contribution in the match - the rest of the time he buggered the final ball after nice build up play.  i like him as a player but he was utter pish on saturday