FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Car Auctions

RiG

Has anyone ever been to or bought from a car auction before? I think there is one down near Perth? I need to get a car for my MSc project and need one cheapish and I believe that these auctions are normally quite good at providing that?

I know obviously some folk think that they are a bit dodgy but I have also heard the flip side that they are ideal for garages to get rid of old stock which isn't worth keeping out on the showroom floor as the money made from it is minimal compared to putting a newer car out on show.

Any help appreciated :wink:

You can certainly pick up a bargain, but there are some heaps there too. Take someone with you that knows a bit about these things and decide on how much you are prepared to pay. You have to be able to walk away and not be drawn into a bidding war, which ends up with you paying over the odds

• 4 weeks later...

Bloke at my work told me he thought he was pretty wide by trying to bid up the price of a car he was selling at the auctions - you guessed it - he ended up buying his own car back for a substantial commission payment.

Moral of the story is that all is not what it seems at those places - tread with caution.

My Brother bought his last car from the Auctions - He hadn't even intended on getting a new car and had gone with a mate.

This tidy looking Peugeot 206 comes along and not many people interested, he managed to snap it up for about £1200 under book price and has never had any trouble with it. At that kind of saving he took a gamble that if it did need anything done it wasn't going to cost more than what he had saved.

As LG says, if your going that route, take someone with you that knows what they are about.

I've bought several cars at auctions, including my current one which I've had for 4 years. If you are buying a reasonably priced car, you usually get 24 hours in which you can have it checked over by an expert, if you want, before you are committed. Not so for 'cheapies' though. The thing that staggerred me at first was how quickly they are sold, literally a few seconds. Tread with caution is good advice but you can save thousands as compared with forecourt prices. I tend to go for ex company cars. At least you know they have usually been well maintained.

my dad stays 2 mins from perth auctions he took me a few times,great bargains if you know what your after,gargaes like arnold clark etc sell cars there ,perth auctions are sunday afternoon 3-5 and i think a wed or thursday night(cant remember which)

As the man who taught you all you know I feel I should have my say.

Why not speak to the likes of Caley100 or others you know in the motor trade who might keep their eyes open for a good run-around for you.

Depends on what you want to spend Rig, i have a few local contacts for cheap / cheapish cars with full mot's for anything from £500 - £1000

Let me know if you want advise/help

galaxyno1@btinternet.com

think i,ll now need to pay a visit to the perth car auctions,my wife wrote our car of last night,it did a treble sommersault and ended on its roof,police said she,s luckiest person alive and asked her for lotto numbers,as hasnt got a scratch on her

My thesis is on looking at my new car and how pretty it is.

Nah, I need it cos I am scooting about Deeside to get to forests to look at Red Squirrels. A bus would get me to some of the places I need to go but it's not likely.

3765-10.jpg

My thesis is on looking at my new car and how pretty it is.

Nah, I need it cos I am scooting about Deeside to get to forests to look at Red Squirrels. A bus would get me to some of the places I need to go but it's not likely.

3929-8.jpg

you into squirrels?just go to highbury,they had one there last night,all be it not red :P

Guest kingkojak

RIG ive got a golf gti at home which i want rid of !?!?!

if not does anyone know how the auctions work - can you put a reserve price on the motors?

RIG ive got a golf gti at home which i want rid of !?!?!

if not does anyone know how the auctions work - can you put a reserve price on the motors?

i think you can,and if it gets close to it,they phone you and ask if you want to accept less,i have a mechanic pal who,s going down for me

I hope you don't lose Focus on the important things in life because of this new car.

Sorry couldn't resist it.

Just remember Mirrors, Signal, Maneouvre on your Cyril the Squirrel hunt. Tynecastle might be more appropriate than Deeside, though. BTW I saw a red squirrel running across Culduthel Road last week.