FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Marius on bench?

You are of course correct with what you say about the beeb but is the Gold Cup not the American equivalent of the Euro Championships?

Its a FIFA sanctioned tournament under the control of CONCACAF which covers North America, Central America and the Carribean so you could argue thats its similar in stature .... however, you could equally argue that the member nations are not of the same quality as CONMEBOL (South America) or UEFA (Europe). Mexico and USA are highest ranked teams at 14 and 21 in FIFA rankings, Honduras is next at 37 and then Canada and Panama at 60 !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF_Gold_Cup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF

Guest TinCanFan

Ditto - Though did Xausa not play in the Gold Cup as well?

Yes, but I think it was not whilst he was at ICT?

Richard and Davide were both in the squad for the Gold Cup in February 2000 - Richard flew out almost immediately after THAT game at Parkhead and something tells me that Xausa actually went before it but I could be wrong. Xausa played 4 games and Richard played 5 including the one where he scored the "golden goal" against Mexico in the quarter final to take Canada through. Canada eventually won the cup beating Colombia 2-0 in the final and Richard was named "Rookie of the Tournament"

He also played in the most recent Gold Cup and was named to the best 11 of the tournament after a very solid display throughout which culminated in a very very dodgy USA win against Canada in the final. That last game was a good one for Richard and he showed some true leadership in trying to encourage his team-mates to get back into the game after some shocking calls by the ref (a ref Canada had complained about before) ..... he was almost "Roy Aitken-like" in his "encouragement" of players.

Edit:

Xausa played 4 games: 13/02 V Costa Rica, 15/02 V Korea, 20/02 QF V Mexico, 24/02 SF V Trinidad/Tobago

Hastings played 5 games: 13/02 V Costa Rica, 15/02 V Korea, 20/02 QF V Mexico, 24/02 SF V Trinidad/Tobago, 27/02 Final V colombia

Does anyone else on here recollect a documentary on TV about Canada's Gold Cup success?  I think it was one Channel 4 in late 2000/early 2001.  I think it was on fairly early one morning and I remember Hastings being interviewed on it.  Don't remember much on it though, other than Canada getting the trophy.  Did anyone else see it?

I notice than our local paper couldn't even manage to congratulate Marius on making an appearance last night instead concentrating on Grassa's sleepless nights at the thought of him being selected and earning a nice windfall for the club.

I notice than our local paper couldn't even manage to congratulate Marius on making an appearance last night instead concentrating on Grassa's sleepless nights at the thought of him being selected and earning a nice windfall for the club.

deadline related i suspect !

Sunday is the deadline for Tuesday's paper and even if you can squeeze something in on Monday morning or even early afternoon for Tuesday's edition, its unlikely that they could have "held the presses" to give the reporter enough time to write and submit a Euro story on Monday night .....

However, even if you give them the benefit of the doubt about the printed newspaper, you have to say that it is disappointing that they didnt perhaps print a little box on the back page directing people to their website for the latest on Marius' Euro adventure. Perhaps they could have avoided any deadline issues by simply stating "At the time of going to press, Romania were due to play France at Euro 2008, for the latest news on Caley Thistle striker Marius Niculae's involvement, please see inverness-courier.co.uk" ... and then print an online story to go with it.

Making your website a 'real-time' extension of a static and instantly out of date medium like a newspaper is what news organisations around the world do these days ... or should do !!! I used to see and be involved in breaking news stories getting added to the Globe and Mail website all the time when I worked for them. They routinely had little boxes in the newspaper directing readers to relevant sections of their website where a (separate) team of journalists worked non-stop to either add more in-depth coverage or background info to a story that space constraints would not allow in print, to add interactivity that wasnt possible in print, or to make sure that any breaking news in Toronto or Canada was added to the site within minutes of it coming down the wire.