FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Hamilton and Dougie Imrie

Morgan Spice

Dunno if all of you remember but we will have Hamilton fans booing Dougie Imrie every chance they get like the St Mirren fans and Ross Tokely.  Though it is not the actual challenge they are bothered about apparently.  It is the fact that Imrie is alleged to have laughed as soon as he stood up from the challenge.  The player involved in the challenge had his career ended after dying on the pitch twice with a punctured windpipe, although doctors found him to have a heart problem I don't know if that was seperate from the incident or not though.

I cannot make a judgement on the challenge or what happened afterwards as I have never seen it.  From what I have seen of Imrie he does not seem like a malicious player though and I am going to stick with that.  He has done really well since coming to us and I think this season given the chance he will improve furthermore.  It must feel terrible knowing that even if it was an accident you have contributed in somebody having to end their career but that goes to show the strength he possesses being able to push on the way he has.

SO IMRIE IF YOU READ THIS KNOW THAT WHEN THE HAMILTON GAME COMES WE WILL BACK YOU 100% AGAINST ANY ABUSE YOU RECIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!

You really should have looked into this topic more. While some Hamilton fans say he laughed and it was deliberate Clyde fans (and just as many Accies supporters) say it was accidental and he never laughed at all.

Furthermore, Imrie went to see McCabe in hospital after the challenge to see how he was doing and to apologise further.

The player involved in the challenge had his career ended after dying on the pitch twice with a punctured windpipe, although doctors found him to have a heart problem I don't know if that was seperate from the incident or not though.

The player never died! He had to retire due to a heart defect doctors discovered while treating him after the incident with Imrie.

Hamilton fans also seem to curl up when you ask them about Parrats allegedly brutal challenge on Imrie from behind because they can only see one baddie in the whole piece.

Having just been on P & B it seems you got this from Accies1 - says it all really.

You are correct sorry I must be getting him mixed up with somebody else with the dying on the pitch twice bit.  He did however require CPR and from the BBC site:

Avril John, who is part of the medical team at Hamilton, said the team acted quickly after McCabe went down under a heavy tackle.

"Ross received a blow to his neck and to the chest," John told BBC Five Live. "He went down and became unresponsive.

"We had to do a manual CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation). You don't really pay any attention to the crowd in those situations, you switch off and focus on what you are doing."

As for the reason he retired I openly admitted that I did not know if the heart defect was related or not so don't really know what you are getting at there! 

The point of the topic in the first place was to give Imrie support albeit we do not play Hamilton for a few weeks yet. Also seeing as you did pay so much attention to the P&B stuff you would have read that I did not know all the facts so it gives people on this board like yourself RIG to inform me better. I really don't know why you have to always attack people the way you do on this board. At least when I spoke to Accies1 he was not sarcastic and seemed to encourage debate wheras you just attack with sarcastic and provocative comments.  Says it all about you really!

You are correct sorry I must be getting him mixed up with somebody else with the dying on the pitch twice bit.  He did however require CPR and from the BBC site:

Avril John, who is part of the medical team at Hamilton, said the team acted quickly after McCabe went down under a heavy tackle.

"Ross received a blow to his neck and to the chest," John told BBC Five Live. "He went down and became unresponsive.

"We had to do a manual CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation). You don't really pay any attention to the crowd in those situations, you switch off and focus on what you are doing."

There have been varying tales of the challenge but what appears to have come out most of the time is that McCabe slide in on Imrie who jumped up to avoid the challenge and upon landing (unfortunately) caught McCabe on the neck with his studs. He received CPR on the pitch and was then taken to hospital where the heart defect was discovered.

As for the reason he retired I openly admitted that I did not know if the heart defect was related or not so don't really know what you are getting at there!

I'm not "getting at" anything. 

The point of the topic in the first place was to give Imrie support albeit we do not play Hamilton for a few weeks yet. Also seeing as you did pay so much attention to the P&B stuff you would have read that I did not know all the facts so it gives people on this board like yourself RIG to inform me better. I really don't know why you have to always attack people the way you do on this board. At least when I spoke to Accies1 he was not sarcastic and seemed to encourage debate wheras you just attack with sarcastic and provocative comments.

I am not being sarcastic not provocative. Certainly not here anyway as I cannot see a single piece of sarcasm in there. Indeed my post would certainly be appearing to encourage debate with yourself! If that's the way the post came across (and I can't see how it does in all honesty) then I apologise but I honestly don't think it does.

I was simply correcting some of the errors in your post one of which was particularly important as anyone with no knowledge of this incident would think that Imrie had killed the player!

I agree with giving him support during the Hamilton game as they will more than likely boo him regardless.

Says it all about you really!

If you want to carry on with personal attacks leave it off the forum and take it the personal messaging system as I am not going to get caught up in it on here.

I apologise for being overly defensive Rig!  I am glad you agree with me that some people may be unaware of why Imrie will be singled out when we play them I will try and make sure all my facts are correct next time before posting!  :003:

No worries.

Same thing could have happened if you took one St. Mirren fans view on Tokely - enough said about that! ICT fans of course say that the challenge that day was strong but accidental, something Buddies fans contest. A simple case of two sides to every story I think.

I am sure Imrie can handle it though. The incident happened in 2006 (can't believe it's been that long!) and he will have come up against Accies and the abuse a few times since. I reckon he will have hardened to it. He was on the receiving end of some strong challenges in those games so i think the Accies one could be a tasty one for him personally.

Im pretty sure it was you who attacked his initial post. The guy was just trying to raise a point.

If you read my post again then you will see there is no personal attack of any kind, just disagreement with what he has posted.

It's all been sorted now anyway. Now where's that hug smiley? :003:

I have been told that Imrie had been to Kung Fu lessons on the Thursday before the match where he was shown how to block the blood vesseks of an opponent by kicking him in the jugukar. I am also informed that it was a well executed neck high kick which felled the lad - Imrie didnt laff but stood up with a Japanese smile and shouted Yazoo at the top of his voice. It was a far more sinister incident than the tame mistimed tackle of Rosscoes.

Could you imagine the fear that a back 4 of Rossco, Dods, Mann and Teasdale would strike into the hearts of any opposing forward.

Could you also imagine how slow a back four it would be. If they came up against McGeady it would be like watching the tortoise and the hare..except the hare would win.

In danger of going wildly off-topic here, but I'll tell you the story all the same.

When I worked for the RBS in Edinburgh we had a football team that used to play against the other companies at South Gyle.

I played at right back and in this one game against Standard Life (I think) they had a guy on the left wing who was pretty fast.  He was really struggling to get past me the entire game and at one point one of his team mates shouted to him something like "Your 10 times faster than the fat boy (me), WTF are you doing?"....to which he replied....."Have you tried running around something that fecking size?".  It was one of those moments that everyone found so funny that they just collapsed all over the place in laughter.....but the point is, you don't have to be fast to be a good defender...I'm far from fast and I'm far from being a good defender, but you get the point.

BTW, in case you've never seen me, I'm 6'2" tall and just about the same width  :015:

Who cares if wer going off topic. Im sure your size came in very handy Don. But if that paticular back 4 gets caught on a counter or a 3 on 4 situation it probably couldnt cope.

Plus i think the likes of Aiden McGeady are slightly better than the guy you took on....and i have seen you before.