FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Thread Postings Off The Page

I am finding that the lines of the thread postings are off the page and minimizing by means of the buton at the top of the page does not work enough to bring the whole lines of each post into full view.

This means that to read each line I have to continually move the slider bar at the bottom of the page both left and right all the time on each line of the thread read to scroll down the page.

Is a quick cure for this--e.g. can I compress the view of the page into a smaller format so that I can see the completed lines just like I can see them in this "reply" box which I am using right now to type in? :o

Site is optimised for 1024 x 768 screen resolution as used by about 80% of our users. If you are using less than that such as 800x 600 then sorry, you are one of less than 3% of users with a lower resolution and we decided not to optimise for those lower sizes.

Site is optimised for 1024 x 768 screen resolution as used by about 80% of our users. If you are using less than that such as 800x 600 then sorry, you are one of less than 3% of users with a lower resolution and we decided not to optimise for those lower sizes.

My screen is set to 800 X 600 and is so because of failing eyesight. After fifty, eyesight and hair go--not necessarily in tandem, nor hand in hand, nor at the same time but definitely progressively.

I am now in 1024 X 768 and am sharply reminded of the difference. I suppose sniors are not welcome on here any more then? :rotflmao:

I suppose seniors are not welcome on here any more then? :rotflmao:

Of course they are - but we have to optimise the site for the majority. As only 3% of people who visit the site have a screen resolution set at 800x600 or below (and some of that 3% are iPhone, Blackberry or other mobile device users) then unfortunately we cant please everyone.

good you got it sorted...the forum software uses pixels rather than percentages of the screen, use it on a few sites and had similar problems posted

Each has their own problems. We are working with a fixed width template because of what we wanted to achieve with the menus. We may, over time add other templates and allow users to select fluid templates that can please everyone including SP and his 800x600 resolution.

Scotty

There is only 800 X 600 or your higher suggested resolution so my options are limited -take it or leave it?

It's not exactly as if I live in an Ark and am completely out of touch with the realities of modern living but pensions instead of work income do not allow for a lot of experimentation and in any event to me cell phones, blackberrys, etc, are little more than unnecessary toys. And when I did use one in my past business when they first came out I never did find the cell phone to be anything much other than an interruption to my day--but it did look good slung on my hip like a brick-I was soooooo cool. Ha! Ha!

If only 80% of the users have what you want in terms of resolution what happened to the other missing 17%?

The remark about seniors was more tongue in cheek than anything--I am not so petty or self-absorbed that I would make an issue of it but to be truthful I would never buy a laptop because the text is so small only bright-eyed and bushy tailed younger persons can read it .You must admit, unless seniors buy the stuff, retailers won't give them a passing thought, but this forum is a different kettle of fish I hope, so anything that can be done in the way of the introduction of templates to offer flexibility in the near future would be pleasing and helpful.

And if someone said to you "why not reduce the number of menu items on the site to streamline it thus allowing more flexibilitry in the use of selecting templates ?" what would you say to that? Maybe there are a few punters on here who think that the site could have developed into one that is now a tad busy and keeping it more simple Sam could also be a better and more useful strategy. What do you think ?

We actually put the menu at the TOP so that it reduced the amount of space it took up on the left or right compared to the old site.

We also toyed with the idea of a fluid layout set to something like 90% of the page width but that brought inherent problems with it at either end of the screen-size scale.

We may design a template that works for users who have problems with this one but that is going to be months down the road. We have just spent +6 months designing, tweaking and testing this one and we both deserve a bit of a rest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Scotty

I fully understand your comment about needing a rest. This is quite a site now and all because of the work you and Caley D have done.

Not all that the Pimple says should always be taken completely at face value--even older folks can have their tongues in their cheeks from time to time.

I am just saying that if you can take another look at this in due course this would be appreciated. So thanks in advance.

S.P.