FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Rankin and Black

Could work if:

We play them both in central midfield with a holding player behind and two wing backs but that would mean a 4-5-1 formation or a 3-1-4-2 formation (even better?). Or we could play Rankin in a Binghamesque position in a 4-4-1-1 formation (even better?).

In essence we have two of the best young midfielders in the SPL, two of the potentially best young talents around. (imagine if we had Naismith to boot  :010: :010:)

We have to play them both but how?

He has undoubted talent, against the Celts however, he flitted in and out of the game, some nice touches and one brill shot which the keeper touched over the bar.

Could well have been the occasion as this was the biggest game he has played in?

Why are you worried about Wyness? If it's because he hasn't scored then I would be more worried about the fact that Dargo has only scored on goal this season so far. Wyness game isn't all about setting up goals. His first touch and control and still on close to top form as was seen when he held onto the ball right on the touchline, surrounded by 2 Celtic players and yet he still managed to wriggle free and play a pass. Top stuff!

He doesn't look confident though RIG, he's really struggling.  Hope he proves me wrong, but I don't see where

that goal is coming from.  Dargo has much more confidence, and Rankin just needs time to bed in.

Our fault with him - played him out of position again St Midden - far too wide.

Agree about Rankin and I think that he and Black can work together in the centre of midfield.

I think that Wyness and Dargo look about as confident as each other in front of goal to be honest. However Denzil elsewhere on the pitch is still looking pretty sound most of the time and so is Dargo. They both need a wee bit of luck for me.

Given our success last season at Tynie with a target man and nippy striker combination in Brewster and Dargo I would still expect Bayne to come in for Wyness with Denzil perhaps restored the following week against Motherwell.

Rankin certainly LOOKS like he has what it takes, and in all the matches so far he's shown glimpses of real quality. The trouble so far is that he tends to drift out of the game quite a lot, and there's times when it's easy to forget he's on the park. Give him time though.

As for Dennis....I don't know what's wrong with him but he's a shadow of the player we know he can be. I agree his general game around the field has been much improved the last few games, but he's there to score...and he just doesn't look like doing that. He hasn't scored since February now?? If that was any striker other than Dennis they'd be getting a lot more flak IMO.

Dargo has had a quiet couple of games by his standards, but his link up play, and his first touch are exceptional still. He's a very confident player too, unlike Dennis, and you just know that sooner, rather than later he's going to do something. Dargo would be the first player on my teamsheet every week.

Mind, this long high ball ***** we've seen a lot of recently it doesn't help either Dennis or Dargs. We have to get back to  playing to our, and their strengths....the ball to their feet. Two diddymen up front will never stand a chance against 6ft+ defenders if we keep knocking it high to them.

You have to admire Charlie for trying to play a bit more football by combining the two midgets in midfield, but most weeks you need Russeldinho in there somewhere I'm afraid, doing all the grafting.

We did well last season by playing to our strengths. Maybe we can play the silky stuff against the bottom 6 teams but against the twins of evil and probably the Hibs and JTs we need to graft.

Take the p1sh?.... We hang on your every word.... especially when you've been studying the patterns of your various stains.... :notworthy01:

I've been disappointed with Wyness since the St Midden game....  Rankin could be tried in that position.