FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Ryan Esson

CaleyStag

With Craig Gordon sidelined until around Christmas/New Year and Levein allegedly planning on calling up Blackpool's Rochdale-born keeper Matt Gilks, does anyone think it would be completely beyond the realms of possibility that Esson could get a call up for any of the Euro 2012 qualifying campaign? There are 4 games coming up in the space of a month, and the number 1 keeper is injured. Aside from McGregor, who should be banned for his pathetic attempt to get Riordan sent off yesterday anyway, who else is there?

David Marshall? Iain Turner? Neil Alexander?

I would argue that Esson is as good as, if not better than some or all of them. He pulled off some great saves against Celtic last week and although he could have sat down to a 3-course meal in the goalmouth against the Arabs yesterday, he still came to the rescue when needed. We turned heads yesterday, and people will have taken note. Esson, and one or two others, could, and should, be on Levein's radar this season, especially as we're now back in the SPL.

He will have done his chances no harm with his opening two performances (not that he had much to do yesterday) .... it just waits to be seen whether Levein has actually noticed ......

He will have done his chances no harm with his opening two performances (not that he had much to do yesterday) .... it just waits to be seen whether Levein has actually noticed ......

I just hope for Scotland's sake Levein has noticed what a terrible defender Garry Kenneth is.

was gilks in goal at the weekend when they shipped 6 goals? if he is....heaven help us!!!!!

Yup. Doesn't fill me with confidence. It won't be the last time they concede 6 in a game this season. They've had their fairytale start, and now I think they'll take a battering in the Premier League.

I just hope for Scotland's sake Levein has noticed what a terrible defender Garry Kenneth is.

I'd rather see Esson playing for Scotland than Kenneth, as either keeper or defender.

Esson is certainly much closer to international standard then Kenneth is, and he wouldn't be out of place as 3rd choice keeper in the international squad. If he maintains his form of the last 12 months then Levein will notice him.

I'd rather see Esson playing for Scotland than Kenneth, as either keeper or defender.

Esson is certainly much closer to international standard then Kenneth is, and he wouldn't be out of place as 3rd choice keeper in the international squad. If he maintains his form of the last 12 months then Levein will notice him.

Precisely. I fully expect that he would sit on the bench for any Scotland game right now. He wouldn't displace McGregor, and when Gordon comes back, McGregor will drop to the bench. Gordon is a better keeper and a far better person than McGregor ever will be. Unless there are a whole load of injuries, I don't think Esson will ever get off the bench for Scotland, except maybe in an experimental line-up for a friendly match.

• Agree 1

Just watched the highlights and what a save from Ryan to tip the shot on to the post near the end. Wouldn't it great to have both our keepers in International squads.

Yes, that was a cracking save near the end, which he does not seem to have had much credit for. Being a bit picky, he was 'nowhere' for the corner which was headed off our line (by Rooney?) in the first half. Nevertheless he has been outstanding for about a year now, and wouldn't let Scotland down if called upon.

Just watched the highlights and what a save from Ryan to tip the shot on to the post near the end. Wouldn't it great to have both our keepers in International squads.

I could see it perfectly from just behind the goals. :rotflmao::rotflmao: Thankfully it persuaded me to leave as I pulled back from standing up and clapping.

Esson would be in the squad if he was still playing fer the Dons - and what about Mark Brown ??!!

Cracking save from Mark.If the saves he made , shown on the video, is anything like his performance over the piece he is well worth a place in the Scottish team.

Furthermore , allowing McGregor back in the team clearly shows how desperate the SFA management is , or the Manager, since a person like that is a disgrace to the shirt and a poor influence on the players.Picking him is like saying to the younger up and comers that personal misconduct will be tolerated and that one rotten ap[ple in the barrell is quite acceptable, Strict discipline is not our bag and , and,...........

Celtic's goal definitley came from a gifted player but how many guys did he pass without a real tackle being mnade on him? Do you think they were all scared of Celtic getting a penalty or what?

But what a great goal; even I was clapping, sitting watching the computer.. :laugh:

I don't agree that Esson should be ahead of Alexander (yet). I think Alexander has done very well in every game he has played for Scotland. Although if Esson carries on the way he is going over the next few months I'll change my mind.

Esson however is miles ahead of david bl00dy marshall, this bumbling cretin has let in 15 goals for Scotland in 5 games. He had one good game for septic against Barca about 6 years ago and people think he's good.

I have nightmares about that clown playing for Scotland. Even Rab Douglas was better for Scotland than him and he let in 6 against the Dutch.