FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Claude Gnakpa

walsallfcfan

g-nack-pa

So you do pronounce the g? I wondered...

Incidentally, can anyone tell me definitively whether the g in 'Gnasher' was/is pronounced? When I was a kid, the Beano readers at school could never reach a consensus.

silent G.My dad worked for DC Thompson for some time, in commando comics, so he knows.

D'oh! Never mind a silent 'g' in Gnasher, more of a non-existent 'p' in DC Thomson. What did your dad do?

According to the fans on the Walsall forum as he has 6 months left on his contract a fee would be due. I'd be surprised if we buy a player, I might be wrong but I thought everyone we have got since Terry took over has come in on a free or a loan?

Lee Cox is about to be sold for a small fee. Could that be where that money is heading?

g-nack-pa

So you do pronounce the g? I wondered...

Incidentally, can anyone tell me definitively whether the g in 'Gnasher' was/is pronounced? When I was a kid, the Beano readers at school could never reach a consensus.

silent G.My dad worked for DC Thompson for some time, in commando comics, so he knows.

Which Commando Comic did Gnasher appear in? I don't remember reading that one :lol:

The one where the Commandos dress up as comic characters and ditch their traditional camouflage!

All right, all right. Gnasher must have been the "schwienhund" they were always referring to. Same publisher you fools.
  • Agree 2

More information on the possible move here:

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/walsall-fc/2012/01/27/claude-gnakpa-set-to-join-inverness-caledonian-thistle/

Walsall were today ready to offload Claude Gnakpa to Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

The winger is reportedly on the brink of a switch to the Scottish Premier League outfit just six months after joining the Saddlers.

He has failed to make an impact since his move from Luton in July and Caley boss Terry Butcher is keen to bring him north of the border.

The Frenchman penned a one-year deal in the summer but Walsall boss Dean Smith is prepared to let him go as he tries to free up funds following a disappointing League One campaign.

Despite spelling the name wrong originally (Gnapka instead of Gnakpa - now corrected) the release from the club was pretty clear ... signed until end of season, no mention of loan ... but the point would likely be moot anyway as he is out of contract with Walsall at the end of season anyway .....

Thought he looked good in the video posted above, busy player with a physical presence and who can create chances and score both elegant goals and scrappy ones .... After gleaning a few facts around the web about him to add to his player profile on the site I did note he was an Aberdeen target in 2008, and that someone said he was a "flying winger" who has a "notoriously strong tackle and terrifying pace" ...... sounds promising to me.

Given that Butcher has already picked up more than a few unpolished gems from down south in his ICT managerial career, and has said this was a player he tracked for a while, I am going to trust him on this one rather than subscribe to the notion that the player must be **** because of the level he plays at as opined by others ...

Being let go by a 3rd teir team in England...sounds great! If he isnt't good for a team flirting with dropping into the 4th teir in England then no thanks!

aye, great logic it's entirely his fault that thier in the position thier in is it?

They wouldn't have released him if they thought he was a valuable player who could help them avoid relegation. He was obviously unwanted there

• Agree 1

We seem to be able to pick up 'unwanted players' and bring out the best in them. Excited about this signing. As Scotty said, since Butcher has tracked Gnasher for a while, I have a feeling he will be a good signing for us.

Edited by CapitalCaley
  • Agree 1

Terry said to the Courier last week (as mentioned in the "Additional Signings" thread):

“If we can get a player who can play attack, defence and midfield that would be wonderful!”

I think we all took that as a jokey comment at the time, but I wonder if he actually had Gnapka in mind when he said that?

Terry said to the Courier last week (as mentioned in the "Additional Signings" thread):

“If we can get a player who can play attack, defence and midfield that would be wonderful!”

I think we all took that as a jokey comment at the time, but I wonder if he actually had Gnapka in mind when he said that?

His BBC comments include him saying he has been watching Gnakpa for a long time so maybe his comments werent as tongue in cheek as we thought.

On the Walsall forum they are being quite negative about him. However capable players don't become crap overnight. They sight fitness and lack of interest. Hopefully he just didn't fit at Walsall but will here and will re-find his form. You don't do what he did at Luton and Peterbourgh... and not have ability... He's only been at Walsall 6 months anyhow.

On the Walsall forum they are being quite negative about him. However capable players don't become crap overnight. They sight fitness and lack of interest. Hopefully he just didn't fit at Walsall but will here and will re-find his form. You don't do what he did at Luton and Peterbourgh... and not have ability... He's only been at Walsall 6 months anyhow.

Jonny Hayes and Ryan Esson were deemed not good enough for League One - just 2 examples.

Indeed, and Richie Foran was only getting a game for the Southend reserve team apparently.

According to someone on P&B who's seen him play him, he's great at right wing but dreadful as a defender. If anything, at least he sounds exciting!

Edited by Renegade

They wouldn't have released him if they thought he was a valuable player who could help them avoid relegation. He was obviously unwanted there

As others have said a number of signings we have made are those that are unwanted by other clubs.

I'm trying to remember the last time we tried to sign someone who was wanted by another team. Jim Hamilton springs to mind as one. He turned out well for the team that ended up beating us to him.

Being let go by a 3rd teir team in England...sounds great! If he isnt't good for a team flirting with dropping into the 4th teir in England then no thanks!

aye, great logic it's entirely his fault that thier in the position thier in is it?

Since when has anybody at Walsall been a good judge of whether a player is worth keeping or not?

What were the dates of the videos? If fairly recent, he seems a cool customer and either the opposition are afraid of him (won't tackle) or like watching his controlled play.

So long as he doesn't make our fans gnash their teeth, by being gash, he would be fearsome alongside Tade.

At least , for sure he will bring some colour into the team........

Bring him on Terry. :cool: