FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

ICT squad 2012-13

Article in todays Press and Journal regarding transfer activity. It suggests we are looking to add a couple of players. Quote from Butcher:

We have not really replaced Jonny Hayes or Gregory Tade. We are hopeful we can add one or two more players. I wanted to get one by the end of this week, but it looks as though it will be early next week now. The process seems to have gone on forever, but we were still signing players in August last year. We dont want to do that again.

I have a squad of 18 and then we have three young youngsters in Liam Polworth, Conor Pepper and Martin Laing who will join up with the first-team squad.

Really hope this will be supplemented by a couple of loan signings to cover defence

The article identifies that we have signed 5 in Reguero, Raven, Warren, Oswell and Draper (waiting on paperwork from the football authorities). 3 players are joining the first team from the U19s in Liam Polworth, Martin Laing and Connor Pepper.

As it stands we have:

Goalkeepers

1. Ryan Esson

2. Antonio Reguero

3. Ed Baldy/Scott Mathieson

Defence

4. Josh Meekings

5. Gary Warren

6. Chris Hogg

7. Graeme Shinnie

8. David Raven

Midfield

9. Nick Ross

10. Andrew Shinnie

11. Martin Laing

12. Aaron Doran

13. Owain-Tudur Jones

14. Gavin Morrison

15. Ritchie Foran

16. Ross Draper

17. Liam Polworth

Strikers

18. Shane Sutherland

19. Billy McKay

20. Jason Oswell

21. Connor Pepper

Hopefully we can replace Hayes and Tade but we really need defensive reinforcements, absolutely no way can we go into the season with 4 fully fit defenders and Chris Hogg recovering from a very serious injury. Butcher says he will be running with a smaller squad this season, understandable given the financial state of Scottish football at present

If he's only planning two more signings, then I can't say I'm very confident about the new season. I wonder of Polworth, Laing and Pepper are part of the "seven".

well if he has signed 5 players and he is planning 2 more then i take it they're not part of the seven

Guest Mahonio

So, if we bring in another player, we are then on 22 players but seem a bit short defensively so will loanees be coming in do you reckon, IHE, sorry, i know IHE knows these things, thats why i asked him :P?

Fortunately it would appear that we are trying to get a squad as full of "regulars" as possible. I suspect that we are awaiting responses from at least another two short contract contacts and then we may look at loanees if unsuccessful. If injuries hit us again loanees are the way out.

Terrys column in todays Press and Journal indicates a few more moves in the transfer market. He says that the expects to hear back early this week from a player that has been earmarked for a while, sounds like the player has quite a few options so we'll have to wait and see on that one. He says he has one other target but also expects to make two other signings.

Our defensive options at the weekend sounded pretty bare so i'm sure Terry will be identifying some defensive recruits. If as the article suggests we are going to be making 4 new additions then a left back, a centre half, a striker and a winger would be my preference in guys coming in

• Agree 1

We need a left back, Centre half and a striker in my eyes. McKay has played a fair whack of his career out wide and could be again be utilised there if needs be and Sutherland can play there (though I think he's be better utlised up front with McKay, Shinnie and Doran (or Ross for one of these guys) playing off him and Foran and Jones in the midfield positions (again Draper/Morrison).

3 players in the positions outlined would give us a squad of 24 which, for us, is ideal. I'd even be ok without a striker if the new boy Oswell is up to it, as I see left back and a centre half, of which I'd happily take Roman Golabart back on loan, as the positions needing attention.

TB says in todays Pysh and Drivel thats he's aiming to sign 1 player this week, and is considering player Meekings in central defence after Warren got injured last night, Jeez i am really getting worried about the season ahead... should i be?

After seeing how stretched out small squad was with last night's game I am worried as well. The right back Cooper looks a good prospect though. Is he on trial?

Rudi Skacel would be a great signing for us. Could we not use some of the Muirfield money to tempt him north?

I really can't see us getting anywhere near Skacel Row S. Hearts,even skint are likely to be able to afford higher wages than us and he was one of their higher earners and they can't bring together a package to keep him so i sincerely doubt we'd have much in the way of any financial muscle to tempt him.

Medicals dont predict injury. That said it seems that footballers get injured very easily nowadays. We are not the only club that has problems. I just wonder what is so different about the way they train and warm up etc. Are gyms a problem? I played shinty. The only injuries I succumbed to were due to contact with a stick. I didnt go to the gym. I didnt do extensive fitness training. I still managed to go out on the lash on a friday night then play a full game on saturday.

Is the intensive training of the bodern day footballer actually weakening muscle? Is the footwear maybe the problem?

intensive fitness reigimes come at a risk as does everything.

footballers have to be so fit these days that they have to push their body to the limit, this is why alot of youths dont make it and get injured, because the training is too much for them.