League restructure

Jack Waddington

A excellent statement from the club. Hopefully most clubs will stick their heads up above the parapet and back it.

It's quite amusing to see the Sellick trolls on Twitter thinking it's part of the conspiracy to stop them winning 9 in a row. 😴 

• Agree 3

The basic issue here is the lack of money within the Scottish game. The premiership league teams are unwilling to dilute the available funds in any way and that's the bottom line : everything else is a side issue.

The game up here is going backwards and has been for years. It needs completely freshened up but there are to many interests who are unwilling to let that happen.

• Agree 2

I am disappointed in Ross County, but not surprised.  I presume their vote would have been different if they were not in the Premier League - ie Uncle Roy’s views in 2012 compared to now.  

• Agree 3

A very strong, considered statement and hopefully justice is done in the near future.

No doubt, as and when we start playing again, we will get even fewer decisions going our way. Or am I a cynic??

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, lizi said:

I am disappointed in Ross County, but not surprised.  I presume their vote would have been different if they were not in the Premier League - ie Uncle Roy’s views in 2012 compared to now.  

Indeed. Maybe one of the local journalists in the Highland area can pull him up on these comments from 2012 when he seemed quite happy to expand the top division.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ross-county-chief-roy-macgregor-1412188

Obviously we shouldn't just vote for any form of reconstruction.

Edited by RiG
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Indeed. Maybe one of the local journalists in the Highland area can pull him up on these comments from 2012 when he seemed quite happy to expand the top division.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ross-county-chief-roy-macgregor-1412188

Obviously we shouldn't just vote for any form of reconstruction.

Roy, this is what you said in 2012.

“The majority of fans throughout the country are telling us the SPL structure as it stands isn’t working.

“The customer is telling us the product isn’t right and interest has started to wane. We need to grow up and do something about that before giving anyone the opportunity to say the game is dying.

“We’re doing fine and we’re getting to know the league but I’m more interested in reconstruction.

“I have no view as yet on what is the perfect solution, whether it’s to expand the league to 14 or even 16, but we have to take a longer-term view of the SPL.”

Don't betray "the majority of fans throughout the country" Roy.  Man up and let's have some Highland solidarity here!

4 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Roy, this is what you said in 2012.

“The majority of fans throughout the country are telling us the SPL structure as it stands isn’t working.

“The customer is telling us the product isn’t right and interest has started to wane. We need to grow up and do something about that before giving anyone the opportunity to say the game is dying.

“We’re doing fine and we’re getting to know the league but I’m more interested in reconstruction.

“I have no view as yet on what is the perfect solution, whether it’s to expand the league to 14 or even 16, but we have to take a longer-term view of the SPL.”

Don't betray "the majority of fans throughout the country" Roy.  Man up and let's have some Highland solidarity here!

Didn’t Ross County vote against league reconstruction in 2012?

15 minutes ago, Jack Waddington said:

They were for it weren't they? They were still in the First Division

In 2012 they were champions of the old first division, the year rangers died.

The last restructuring vote was in 2013.

I’m sure it was their vote that denied restructuring. If they voted yes we would then have a 12-12-18 set up. This was the one with the bottom 4 splitting off with the championship top 4. After two sets of matches home and away.

The good folk of ICT are being played like a fiddle, for obvious ends. A fatal mistake to align the club with that rotten institution at Ibrox and undo 25 years of goodwill across the decent clubs in Scotland.

Dunfermline's chairman's words should be taken seriously: 

"Since the SPFL director’s resolution was first issued, a number of clubs in the Championship would confirm it is the behaviour of Inverness that has continually been aggressive and confrontational. However, no one felt it necessary to win points in public, as robust conversations take place in the normal course of a competitive business like football."

• Agree 3

18 minutes ago, dougiedanger said:

Dunfermline's chairman's words should be taken seriously: 

I read that statement differently, especially when he blows smoke up everyone's arse about the reputation of DAFC .... no-one has said anything about DAFC, or questioned their integrity ads a club, it was about an individual and he seems to be hiding behind his club rather than defending his personal reputation or denying what was said. In fact, he admits to making comments on the date specified, but like all bullies minimises it or attempts to blame the victim(s). I personally have no faith in ANYONE on the SPFL board to conduct business in a fair and impartial manner. They are rotten to the core. The only problem is that whoever replaced them if they did the decent thing would likely be just as bad !

Take personalities and pissing contests out of this for a second ... there are way too many discussion points not centered around this bullying that also bear talking about. Like the 'threat' that voting no would delay payments when it has already been established that interim payments could be made with or without a vote, or the circumstances surrounding the manner in which a valid no vote was lost then changed to yes (the digital forensics on this would be fascinating I am sure), or the manner in which teams are being relegated when it was not cut and dried they would finish bottom (no real issue with crowning champions as the margins there were a lot wider and the implications less far reaching).

• Agree 4

7 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I read that statement differently, especially when he blows smoke about the reputation of DAFC .... no-one has said anything about DAFC, it was about an individual and he seems to be hiding behind his club rather than defending his personal reputation or denying what was said. In fact, he admits to making comments on the date specified, but like all bullies minimises it or attempts to blame the victim(s). I personally have no faith in ANYONE on the SPFL board to conduct business in a fair and impartial manner. They are rotten to the core. 

Time will tell I guess.

• Agree 1

I cant understand why the Club have released this statement and how it benefits anyone. We have a CEO who went running to the media about the WhatsApp group, which has surely lost the club respect and trust. Now this! The Scottish game is a joke and I'm afraid our club have made some horrendous decisions lately. 

• Agree 2

It is remarkable how little is actually said in McArthur's statement beyond a bit of self-indulgent, indignant bluster.  He limits himself to the allegation of threats and says that all he was doing was pointing out that if the SPFL failed and the Rangers' motion was subsequently put and failed, that distribution of Championship prize money might be dived into 10 equal portions.  He ignores the fact that Inverness would be the 2nd biggest loser in that scenario and therefore stood to benefit more than most from supporting the SPFL motion.  He ignores the fact that the "consequences" he mentions would only become reality if the SPFL chose to make them so, and therefore fails to understated why this was rightly seen as a "threat" rather than merely unavoidable "consequences".  

McArthur concludes "  There are many more things I would like to say, but I will retain my dignity and continue to be more concerned about the long term future of Scottish football at this time. The endless point scoring is becoming tiresome, and I would have preferred to rise above it, but I have a duty to protect the reputation of Dunfermline Athletic FC."  What gutless, pompous cr*p!    Hiding behind his role as Pars Chairman allows him to squirm out of answering a range of valid concerns raised in the ICT statement.  As a member of the SPFL Board he also has a duty to the the other 41 member clubs and to the wider reputation of Scottish football.  That is a duty he is abjectly failing in.

• Agree 5

31 minutes ago, GogglesWalter said:

I cant understand why the Club have released this statement and how it benefits anyone. We have a CEO who went running to the media about the WhatsApp group, which has surely lost the club respect and trust. Now this! The Scottish game is a joke and I'm afraid our club have made some horrendous decisions lately. 

To use a phrase someone close to the process said to me yesterday, clubs are likely farting against thunder, but from the stuff I have heard and read I have absolutely no doubt our club and others have been bullied and that should never be condoned or swept under the carpet. Bullies should always be called out and held to account. So many people have added snippets about their experiences of different parts of this process in the media and elsewhere that the whole thing would be laughable if it were not both true and tragic !