• Scott Brown
    • Kevin Thompson
    • Ian McCall
    • Garry Warren
    • Ross Tokely
    • Jim McIntyre
    • Someone else

9 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

The things some folk will do to sell their horrible orange kit! I will lay money on it now, that the announcement and accompanying picture will be Ferguson holding up the ICT orange kit,(or sevco away kit 2002), with FERGSON, sprawled across the back.

Meltdown.

Ah well, you'll always have Lisbon.

• Funny 4
  • Facepalm 2

Well I for one am hugely up for this, probably because it's the first time I've been starstruck by a managerial appointment; Dunc was one of my favourite players to watch when he was at Everton and Newcastle, one of the great target men.

As for his coaching credentials, as stated previously his Forest Green stint can be taken with a pinch of salt because they were a shambles that anyone would have struggled to fix. I'm more interested in the fact that so many Everton managers thought he was worth keeping around as a coach. This is a guy who has worked for Rafa Benitez and Carlo Ancelotti, amongst others. Surely he will have picked up a few tips? And like Butcher when he was here, Ferguson should have plenty of contacts for finding players and the charisma to convince them to come here.

Fingers (and toes) crossed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Well Said 4
  • Thoughtful 1

5 minutes ago, hislopsoffsideagain said:

Well I for one am hugely up for this, probably because it's the first time I've been starstruck by a managerial appointment; Dunc was one of my favourite players to watch when he was at Everton and Newcastle, one of the great target men.

As for his coaching credentials, as stated previously his Forest Green stint can be taken with a pinch of salt because they were a shambles that anyone would have struggled to fix. I'm more interested in the fact that so many Everton managers thought he was worth keeping around as a coach. This is a guy who has worked for Rafa Benitez and Carlo Ancelotti, amongst others. Surely he will have picked up a few tips? And like Butcher when he was here, Ferguson should have plenty of contacts for finding players and the charisma to convince them to come here.

Fingers (and toes) crossed.

What your suffering from there is called confirmation bias.

We are in as big a shambles as Forest Green.  He didn't bring in any of these amazing players you think he has access to then, and we've no money to bring them in here.  We needed someone to get the best from what we already have and he failed to do that with Forest Green.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, STFU said:

What your suffering from there is called confirmation bias.

We are in as big a shambles as Forest Green.  He didn't bring in any of these amazing players you think he has access to then, and we've no money to bring them in here.  We needed someone to get the best from what we already have and he failed to do that with Forest Green.

He became manager there five days before the transfer window closed. Not that easy to sign an entire squad in that time. And the few signings he did make included Onyango from Everton (who has been on the bench several times for the first team) and Robbie Savage's son from Man Utd, who had been considered good enough to play once for the first team there.

Given our previous managers include Baltacha (first managerial job), Paterson (only managed in the Highland League), Robertson (first managerial job), Brewster (first managerial job), Christie (first managerial job), Brewster again (had been a disaster at Dundee United), Butcher (did great at Motherwell but rotten in Australia and at Brentford before coming to us), Hughes (hadn't been great at Hibs), Foran (first managerial job), Robertson (hadn't managed anyone in forever) and Dodds (first managerial job) I don't particularly see why Ferguson should be considered less qualified than so many of his predecessors.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Well Said 4

4 minutes ago, hislopsoffsideagain said:

He became manager there five days before the transfer window closed. Not that easy to sign an entire squad in that time. And the few signings he did make included Onyango from Everton (who has been on the bench several times for the first team) and Robbie Savage's son from Man Utd, who had been considered good enough to play once for the first team there.

Given our previous managers include Baltacha (first managerial job), Paterson (only managed in the Highland League), Robertson (first managerial job), Brewster (first managerial job), Christie (first managerial job), Brewster again (had been a disaster at Dundee United), Butcher (did great at Motherwell but rotten in Australia and at Brentford before coming to us), Hughes (hadn't been great at Hibs), Foran (first managerial job), Robertson (hadn't managed anyone in forever) and Dodds (first managerial job) I don't particularly see why Ferguson should be considered less qualified than so many of his predecessors.

My point was that you are ignoring, and trying to explain away, the similarities between Forest Greens situation and ours and throwing in about him having contacts etc. that will serve him well here, when they did jack all to serve him well with Forest Green.  I'm sure you will have noticed that our window has closed, so he doesn't even have 5 days, even if we had the money to bring anyone in.

Any managerial signing comes with risks, but this one just stinks of a decision being made as a result of fanboyism.

I'm not saying he will or won't be a success, I'm saying there's nothing to back up your assertations.

• Like 1

I just get the feeling that some supporters  wouldn't be happy with anyone who gets appointed as the issue is with the current regime  ie Gardiner and Robertson. I am by no means a happy clapper but was quite happy about the appointment. The guys had input from some of the world's top managers will have a ton of contacts hopefully and at the end of the day is the club not about taking and rebuilding careers that have went somewhat by the wayside?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Well Said 3
  • Facepalm 1

Good luck ICT. You are going to need loads of it....bucket loads. We will see but I can not see beyond my watering eyes that this is going to be bad. Real bad. Hope I'm wrong of course. 

• Disagree 1
  • Thoughtful 1
  • Facepalm 1

• tm4tj changed the title to Duncan Ferguson & Who was in the running
  • tm4tj unpinned this topic