FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Airdrie away Jan 2024

tm4tj

1 hour ago, RiG said:

This is perhaps unfair given this is my first game of the season but we are awful. Staggeringly negative with a shaky defence and a non existent attack. A honking performance so far. 

Tbf I would say this was the worst away performance of the season by a mile, but the writing was on the wall when we saw the lineup. Billy rested for Longstaff, and Shaw, who is hopeless in the air, but had many high punts to deal with, playing alongside him. No spoony, and starts for Davidson and Duffy who should not be near an ICT shirt. Welsh started but is obviously not ready. Billy and Carson came on at half time and it looked a bit brighter for about 10 minutes. Not something which is said every day but defensively we miss Danny Devine.
I think the stats at half time showed no shots for either side, on or off target. We continued our policy of not risking a shot but shuttling it around until it gets back to Ridgers. The game could easily have petered out at 0-0 but slack marking at set pieces cost us with two free headers. Toddy enjoyed sticking it right up our very vocal support and it could have earned him a booking but hey, maybe you or I would have done the same…
I said before that McCabe has Airdrie playing the right way, even with limited quality, and up until the first goal they took the game to us, mainly down our right, although they had little to show for it apart from a few low crosses across the face with nobody to finish. The wee no 10 Frizzell is decent. 
Cammy Harper found himself free in the box late on and looked sure to equalise but he blootered it right in the path of the blocking defender when anybody else could have placed it. He had a hard time all day trying to outpace the full back so not a great day for Cammy. Anderson was quiet and Charlie picked up his customary booking.
These loan signings, if they materialise, will need to do some heavy lifting.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, ymip said:

40 mins on the clock and neither team has had a shot. Skipping this one seems like a wise move. 

Your brother more than made up for your absence #angermeter 

• Funny 1

Pos Team Pld W D L F A Pts
It's no looking goog to be honest. Tough weeks ahead.
1. Raith Rovers 19 13 5 1 37 25 44
2. Dundee Utd 18 12 5 1 40 7 41
3. Partick Thistle 19 9 5 5 37 32 32
4. Airdrieonians 19 7 3 9 18 23 24
5. Dunfermline 18 6 5 7 23 22 23
6. Morton 18 6 4 8 20 24 22
7. Ayr United 18 5 4 9 24 35 19
8. Inverness CT 19 4 6 9 20 23 18
9. Arbroath 18 5 2 11 23 36 17
10. Queens Park 18 3 5 10 22 37 14

FRIDAY 5TH JANUARY

Queen's Park v Dunfermline

SATURDAY 6TH JANUARY

Airdrie v Raith Rovers

Ayr Utd v Inverness CT :blink:

Arabs v Morton

Partick v Arbroath

FRIDAY 12TH JANUARY

Inverness CT v Dundee United :amazed:

• Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

on the hour NIL shots on or off target !! And of all peeps Todorov scores 😂

I’m disappointed in Toddy - he was a favourite in Inverness but his behaviour in front of the Inverness fans today, he let himself down.   There was no need.  Boooo

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

20 minutes ago, lizi said:

I’m disappointed in Toddy - he was a favourite in Inverness but his behaviour in front of the Inverness fans today, he let himself down.   There was no need.  Boooo

A long journey on the bus home tonight Lizi, not a happy bus :sad:

• Sad 1

Actually it was a quite a happy bus home with a lot of laughs!  We forgot about the result, had our quizmaster extraordinaire with his footie questions, then a singsong.  Home before 10pm so - all ready for Ayr on Saturday - we are nothing if not resilient!  

21 minutes ago, IBM said:

A long journey on the bus home tonight Lizi, not a happy bus :sad:

• Like 8
  • Well Said 2

5 hours ago, lizi said:

He was getting pelters from the away fans at various points in the game. Can't really complain when he gives a little back. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Ayr away game on Saturday is crucial (as they all are to be fair) but if we lose that....we have the Arabs [H] and Raith [A] to follow. As it stands and judging by current form, I think we're looking at three straight defeats. If we do manage to kidnap good players to come and play for Inverness CT I doubt there will be much time for them to settle in. No doubt in my mind that this is a battle for survival and not just the Championship.  :sad:

• Agree 5

That starting line-up feels like the manager was sending a message to the board.  Very much a subtext of 'look at what i have to work with, sort it out'.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

Anyone have a monkey why Sheridan was still in the teamsheet? Thought his contract was done with the bells?

I beg we haven't signed him on til July or else we're done for

Wotherspoon’s contract expires in mid January (the 14th has been mentioned) so it is likely Sheridan’s is the same.

It is notable he has not got on the pitch in recent matches so it looks like he will be away when the contract expires. 

• Like 1

I said it last week and still think that the saying 'Making a silk purse out of a sows ear' covers our problems.Realistically,we have no stand out stars in our team,we have men who are trying their best most of the time.

Other than Spoony who have we got that we can rely on to lead the way? Mackay,Welsh,Devine,Carson maybe but thereafter alas...

Shaw is at his best on the wing,running down the channel.Udjur is steady but really our recruitment over the years has come home to roost and we have the problem of playing in the championship 100 miles north of Perth,so who,being half decent wants to come.Somehow we have to make the prospect of playing for ICT more attractive and I thought the prospect of playing for big Dunc was a start.

Edited by Douglas Mackenzie
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Hiro said:

That starting line-up feels like the manager was sending a message to the board.  Very much a subtext of 'look at what i have to work with, sort it out'.

It was striking that in his interview before last nights game, he was talking about having already identified some players he wants to bring in and hoping the club will support him.  If specific players have been identified, you would have thought that he would have informed the club of that and that the club would have told him whether or not he had their support.  Even if no specific players had been identified, he should know the financial limit he has to work with.  It sounds to me as though the players Dunc wants to bring in will cost more than the club have told them is available.

It reminds me of the demands Yogi put on the club regarding new players and extended contracts for players he wanted to keep.  Blinded by the euphoria of the Scottish Cup win, the club overstretched itself in meeting Yogi's demands.  That debacle created a serious black hole in the club's finances from which, years later, we have still not even started to recover.  I would like to think that the club have identified some funding which will help in strengthening the team and that the manager is accepting of what he has been told is available.  I suspect the reality may be somewhat different.

• Like 2
  • Thoughtful 1

16 hours ago, caley1 said:

At this rate it will be automatic relegation! Wtf is playing without a striker all about ? Being a striker himself that should be 1 area he knows about . Substitutions and timing of them 2 can also be bewildering at times . As fir being sent off yet again . Things are bad enough without you being in the stands again . Personally want DF to do well so come on sort it out Big Dunc  ! 

Was it just coincidence that Welsh started and Mckay didn't, but that when Welsh was subbed at HT, Mckay just happens to be brought on as a replacement for Davidson at the same time?  Are there some issues around the captaincy?  We are in desperate need of good leadership on the park.  Regardless of whether we can bring in 2 or 3 new players, the key thing is to get to the current squad to play with greater purpose and cohesion.  A good captain will be an example on the park and will demand the appropriate response from his team-mates.  I'm not seeing any real leadership on the park this season and that needs to change.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thoughtful 1

Looking at our squad and likely starters, Carson is the most vocal and tries to motivate others. Devine is probably next. I like Welsh but he comes across as quite quiet on and off the park, and it is hard for a goalie or striker to be captain as they are not close to a lot of the action areas.

Assuming there are no issues behind the scenes around the captaincy (I had assumed Mckay was simply standing in due to Welsh’s absence, whilst Devine seemed next in line if neither Welsh nor Mckay was starting) I’d give the position to Carson.

• Like 1

Boy we are a mess and the blame lies with Robbo/Dodds they signed these players but Board are also responsible letting them do so for so long .We have to give Dunc a fair chance and pray he can save this season because that is where we are is all about survival in this league . Worrying times and attendances will only keep falling with that displays 

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

I think Todorov's reactions were fair enough given the X-rated dog's abuse he was getting from the choir, and you could argue he was being respectful when he was subbed.

3 hours ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

I think Todorov's reactions were fair enough given the X-rated dog's abuse he was getting from the choir, and you could argue he was being respectful when he was subbed.

I was up at the back of the stadium and well away from the “choir” so wasn’t aware of the abuse directed at Toddy.   I was surprised at his reaction but now understand it.   Incidentally I was nearly knocked to the ground by two members of the “choir” as they rushed out of the doors after the final whistle, only my walking stick stopped me from falling.  

• Sad 1

Ayr will be getting a few pelters for getting beat 3-0 by Morton. Would imagine they will be well fired up (to use an Ayrshire phrase) for Saturday. So all players at ICT will be required to step up and produce a good performance; more fired up than them. Re the Airdrie game: it’s not a good look trying to keep it tight and play other formations to then lose 2-0 🤔. If you get away with your point or more fair enough but we all probably knew where it was heading as the g@me progressed. As the old saying goes the games come around quick so we have another go Saturday so let’s actually have a GO- fortune favours the brave…🤪🤹🏻

• Agree 2

I get the doom and gloom, and have been critical of our recent performances.

But let’s turn the clock back to 26 September. We were bottom of the league with 1 point from 6 games and had failed miserably in the League Cup and Challenge Cup.

Fast forward to 3 January. We’ve climbed to 8th place and have 18 points from 19 games, with Big Dunc having got 17 points from 13 games.

There is progress, but not as much as we’d all have liked, but where would we be now if we’d not brought him in?

This season is now all about survival in this league and hopefully laying foundations for a successful 2024/25 campaign. A bit of a run in the Scottish Cup would be a welcome bonus.

We need to see who we can bring in this month and the impact they have. We may see some players depart and probably a lot will leave in the summer with a large part of the squad out of contract then.

We will start to see what the Manager can bring to the club as the squad changes and hopefully we see enough positive signs to give us confidence we are on the right lines, and that we can build a competitive squad during the close season.

It is early days but we also need to see improved performances on the pitch, much more intent when attacking, and good results that ease the current relegation worries.

• Agree 5

17 minutes ago, STFU said:

Who's paying for this magical overhaul that's going to save our season and set us on the path to glory in 2024-25?

We have no idea and are unlikely to be told anything and we have no idea about who is financing Big Dunc's contract either!

• Like 1

I don't want to sound harsh but the best thing we can do is, as @Robert says, completely rebuild whenever that is possible and build a team capable of promotion in whatever league we are in and we should look no further than Raith to see that IS possible because they were struggling last season but look at them now, you could say the same about Dundee and Kilmarnock too so it IS possible and we have to trust (I know, I know) the board to support the gaffer with this!

• Like 1

• tm4tj unpinned this topic