FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Tommy Burns is unacceptable

Caley Stan

Along with thousands of others, i stood and chanted that in the direction of David Taylor as Scotland were destroyed by Sweden at Easter Road a couple of years back. Today, the BBC calls him the "front-runner" to replace McLeish. He was unacceptable then and he's unacceptable now.

Why would we appoint someone who hasn't been a manger for 10 years and who achieved very little when he was in club magement? Same goes for Joe Jordan. We need someone with a proven track record of success.

Couldn't agree more.

Burns was only kept on by Smith as a sympathy vote and was a good way to appease the other half of the twins of evil (not that any of them give a tom tit about Scotland anyhoo) when he took McCoist with him.

He was rubbish at Reading, achieved nothing with celtic and was an integral part of the 'He who shall not be named' era.

No, No and trice - NO!  :018:  :008:

Looks like I'm in a minority of two; myself and Gordon Smith !

Why do you think he is acceptable ?

I think the arguments against him have been pretty much consistent as to why people dont want him ...... but I am curious as to your reasoning in supporting him (or perhaps tolerating would be a better description).

I realise that Tommy Burns is tainted in the eyes of many by being associated with our worst national managerial team ever.

However, I can recall the great success he had in taking Kilmarnock from the Second Division to the Premier League in successive seasons as well as his not unsuccessful spell as manager of Celtic at a time when their board had the biscuit tin mentality.

I happen to believe that he's a good and experienced coach who knows the players well and who would be a safe pair of hands.

That said, I didn't say that he would be my personal choice as national coach, merely that I wouldn't be unhappy with the appointment.

Burns is now odds-on to get the job. The fans aren't going to like this if it happens for a number of reasons:

1. The Berti years.

2. He hasn't been a manager for nearly 10 years.

3. He managerial record (promotion with Killie, Cup with Celtic, short spell at Reading) is variable.

4. McGhee, Levein and Burley all have recent history of improving teams. Burns doesn't.

5.There will be a lingering suspicion that appointing Burns is an attempt by Gordon Smith to placate the other half of the filth. I'm not suggesting this is true but it will be an issue.

Having said all that, if Tommy Burns gets this job then i will shut up and em..................accept him!