FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Tokely in midfield = changed team.

MacBandy

I am glad some people on the 'team for Killie' thread are considering Tokely in midfield. Once again the goal on sat was partly due to him not being back in position. On Scotsport (Where it was shown too many times) you could see McGuire's concern as Falkirk approached and he tried to keep tabs on 2 men. Meanwhile you could see Rosscoe unwilling to committ to a run back (as he was either knackered or all out for a win) until it was, again, too late. How many times has that happened this season and cost us the points?

However, it is only when he presses that we look like scoring so is it a catch 22? Of course not. Proc has been great and makes Mcguire look much better when he only has his own job to do. Tokely's forays are good and he can 'defend' in midfiled as he did loads on sat. With Tokely in midfield and Imrie starting we have replaced Wilson and Rankin (although slightly different) and Procter has proven that as a defender (and occasional set piece scorer) he is better that Tokely!

For my part:

Goals Mikey of course

Defence: Procter, McGuire, Munro, Hastings - playing as normal flat back 4.

Midfield: Tokely, Black, Imrie, Cowie, with Tokely and Cowie as wingers  primarily putting balls in for the others and Black and Imrie interchangeable but with Imrie running into channels knowing that Black will cover. All the midfield will be more attacking and take the odd risk of leaving the defense at the mercy of an opposition break but this defence will not be too far up the park and so will cope (you can't have it all!). Also Black will be slightly behind this attacking midfield and breaking up any response by his presence and fitness (if not his tackles!).

In front: Marius; for his cleverness and ability to put in a good ball for any of the other attacking midfielders. But lesser pressure on him to be our main threat. I might even give him a brief to be our forward 'captain' tactician' or whatever they call it.

At the front: Bayne, purely for poaching.

On the bench; Zibi, Marcus, Dennis, Zander, and 'a' defender.

That's my ten penneth.

tokely has played in midfield before, in one game that stands out was not long into robertson reign against c*unty, and he was subbed at about half time, when we were already getting pumped . Im sure someone else on here will remember the details  better than me, but he was utter MINCE in midfield

Guest birdog

tokely has played in midfield before, in one game that stands out was not long into robertson reign against c*unty, and he was subbed at about half time, when we were already getting pumped . Im sure someone else on here will remember the details  better than me, but he was utter MINCE in midfield

Do I remember correct, was Rossco not signed from Huntly as a right sided midfielder? I think he played for us there when he started with us as well. I may be wrong, years of chemically enhancing by brain may have taken it's toll.

Guest TinCanFan

Tokely is a far better attacker than he is a defender and as he is rather slow it would be far better playing up as a right midfielder or even a right sided forward.  By doing this, someone who is better in defence AKA: Proctor gets a game in a position which he plays the best in and Tokely who pretty much ICT's third forward (or under Brewster's formation the second) doesn't leave the back wide open or gets himself puffed out with constantly having to run back.  To me it seems common sense.

I doubt if you will ever change Rosscoe but he aint a midfielder - he hasnt looked the same since Dods went as the Machine had the football brain to cover Rosscoe's forward momentum - as did Blobby Mann before that. Problem is that I dont think that Proctor has it in him to be a central defender so we may be stuck unless we try out Proctor in the hole instead fo Duncan - he may well have the patience and the discipline to do that. Then we could play Cowie wide right in Bazza style and Imrie wide left. Away from home I would always play 4-1-4-1 so I would play Black in central midfield but we really need someone "dogged" to be there with him.

I would play Niculae at home - but play him on the last man - he annoys me when he tracks back as that leaves us totally devoid up front. That may be his "strength" but it is a luxury. Either that or we get a real target man - one who can move. Bayne would always be my choice away from home.

Guest TinCanFan

And another thing, look at Proctor for example.  He can play either right back or right wing or occaisonally centre back.  Why does Tokely have to be played constantly in the same position?

Just in defence of Rossco, Macbandy......in case you were not watching closely at the time. The

Falkirk goal came as a direct result of Blackie losing the ball in midfield after trying something just a little bit too clever immediately after he had been announced as man of the match over the tannoy. Just to put the record straight.

Guest TinCanFan

Maybe had Tokely been there he might have been stopped or he could've been able to intercept the ball.  And also Dundee United played Lee Wilkie up front recently so why can't ICT do something similar with Tokely.