FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Burnley FC V ICT.... 2/8/08

I went to Burnley once....never ever again will I go there. I remember a group of us being chased all the way to railway station after a game (that Burnley won) by their hooligan fans. Be careful if you go because the natives are certainly not friendly.

Well, that's made my mind up for me!  I was seriously thinking of going up for the friendly, but I'll take your advice, Gringo, and give it a miss

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now now chaps, no need to put of those who would be thinking about going, its a pre-season friendly and I'd doubt there would be any aggression from any element of Burnleys support.  It's another bit of ICT history for me (first game south of the border?) and a good opportunity for some Englandshire based fans to see ICT in a day trip.

Should be a good game and is a far more interesting tie than any of the other pre season games we have lined up, Liverpool cringe-fest included.

Guest claretfan

A bit disappointing to read some of the rubbish posted on this thread. Fair enough, Burnley is an old mill town and is not the most attractive but, having lived there all my life it's by no means the worst. Some of the countryside 5 minutes from the town centre is some of the most beautiful in England. (OK maybe it doesn't compare with the Highlands! :003:) Anybody thinking of coming down, check out the link.

http://www.visitburnley.com/

As far as the football is concerned, there hasn't been any trouble for years. Burnley unfortunately used to have a bad reputation for hooligans but that was back in the 70s/80s. Any ICT fans coming down will be made welcome I can assure you.

The ICT game is our only home game before the season starts and I'm really looking forward to it. Some of our fans are a bit disappointed by it as they wanted a 'big' name, but you can't get much bigger than Inverness Caledonian Thistle can you? :015: I'm sure it will be more competitive than our pre season kickabout with Middlesbrough last year.

Look forward to seeing you on 2nd August.

Well said claret, looks like some of our fans are stuck in the 70's and 80's, and sometimes we forget that outsiders can look in from time to time.  I'm sure most of these impressions are a bit tongue in cheek though.  Maybe it rained when these guys called in.   We have a few fans in the vicinity and I am sure some hardy souls will make the weekend of it as well, I might have a look in myself.  Hope you enjoy our special brand of football and it is always good to spread the gospel further than Dingwall.

Big name alright...........biggest in the game around here :021: We were also hoping to get a big name.....................but we got Burnley :023:

Now...........all we need is directions to the best boozers before the game, somewhere we will be made welcome.

Enjoy us.

Guest claretfan

Glad to see that you don't all think we are thugs living in slums. :001:

As for local pubs, there are loads of them. If you want food, you could try the Queen Victoria which is a Brewer's Fayre pub, about 10/15 minutes walk away. However if it's good beer you're after, try the Bridge Bier Huis in the town centre. It's where a lot of our fans meet before a game and visiting fans are always welcome.

http://www.thebridgebierhuis.co.uk/

Probably the most convenient though is the cricket club, which is next door to the football ground. If you're coming by car, it's the best place to park and the club house is always open on football match days. There may be a cricket match on that day and if it's a nice day it's good to have a beer and sit watching the cricket before and after the football.

If anybody fancies visiting our most popular messageboard, you'll be made very welcome. :003:

http://boards.footymad.net/mboard/fmb.php?tno=104

What's cricket?  :023:

Was at Turf Moor once about 15 years ago and really enjoyed it.  I'm sure visiting fans will enjoy the trip as long as they don't mention the words "Blackburn" and "Rovers"

A bit disappointing to read some of the rubbish posted on this thread.

As far as the football is concerned, there hasn't been any trouble for years. Burnley unfortunately used to have a bad reputation for hooligans but that was back in the 70s/80s. Any ICT fans coming down will be made welcome I can assure you.

On 7 December 2002 a 17 year old Nottingham Forest F.C. fan was killed when Burnley fans attacked Nottingham Forest fans in Burnley town centre.

Guest claretfan

A bit disappointing to read some of the rubbish posted on this thread.

On 7 December 2002 a 17 year old Nottingham Forest F.C. fan was killed when Burnley fans attacked Nottingham Forest fans in Burnley town centre.

Yet more ill informed garbage. There was no attack by Burnley fans on Forest fans. There was ONE incident where two people got into an argument in a pub and one hit the other over the head with a bottle. No other people were involved and it was one of those horrible events that could happen at any time in any pub in the country. The guy who was convicted didn't even come from Burnley and admitted that he only came to watch Burnley FC when Manchester City weren't playing!

I wish people would at least check their facts before posting this crap.

Yet more ill informed garbage. There was no attack by Burnley fans on Forest fans. There was ONE incident where two people got into an argument in a pub and one hit the other over the head with a bottle. No other people were involved and it was one of those horrible events that could happen at any time in any pub in the country. The guy who was convicted didn't even come from Burnley and admitted that he only came to watch Burnley FC when Manchester City weren't playing!

I wish people would at least check their facts before posting this crap.

I am with the claretfan on this one. 1 incident [LINK] does not define a whole set of supporters regardless of how tragic the consequences were.

There have been similar incidents throughout world football, and I have heard of a few serious assaults or worse after every OF game, even between supporters watching in pubs in places like Inverness ... just not all have such wide reaching consequences as a death. Testosterone and Alcohol can be a dangerous mix regardless of which scarf you are wearing !!!

Guest claretfan

Just to add a comment about the link provided by Scotty. I don't pretend that there has never been any trouble relating to Burnley fans. As with most clubs (at least in England), there is a hooligan element that follow them. However, these days it is very small and these type of people only tend to turn up for high profile matches such as local derbies. The ridiculous 'Suicide Squad' mentioned in the newspaper is a myth. There were a group who used to chant that in the 80s, but they certainly hadn't been heard of for many years.

The 'Suicide Squad' became news again some years ago when a guy named Andrew Porter wrote a book under that name and it got a lot of publicity and he was featured on the TV show 'Real Football Factories'. After the publicity, any wannabe thug now claims to be a member of the 'Suicide Squad'. For instance there was an 18 year old guy recently arrested for fighting on a Saturday night. He apparently told police that he was a member of the 'Suicide Squad' and regularly fought on the 'Longside'. I should point out that the 'Longside' was the covered standing area where most of Burnley's vocal support used to stand.....................It was demolished in 1995! He had obviously never even been on Turf Moor, but thought it made him look 'hard'.

Anyway, I'm fed up of trying to stand up for my town and my team so I won't comment on it further. However, if any ICT fans would like any information on coming down for the game or want to talk about football, I'll be back. :003:

hi burnley fan

i went to your ground in 2006 when it was burnley vs leeds and found it quite nice and welcoming also places to eat were the many chipies on the way down to the ground

cheers tony

I am seriously considering driving down for this game.  Back in '67 when I was at college in Stafford, one of my flatmates was a great Burnley fan.  Course they were a First Division team back then and Willie Morgan was one of their best players before Man U signed him up.  Can't remember much about the rest of the team tho'.  I've always wanted to go to Turf Moor since then. 

Thanks Claret fan for all the info.  All the best.

I cannot believe that I am on hols when this kicks off - but beware as it may do - Blackburn are similiar to our strip and mega numbers are going to travel to Burnley and I am aware that the so called Blackburn Youth have already asked the infamous Suicide Squad for a square go in the cobbled streets at the Away End.

• 2 weeks later...

Me +2

travelling down early Saturday and then staying the night in Blackpool for a night on the sesh

Chris Eagles just signed for Burnley today on a 3 year deal so expect him to play some part.  Burnley have a cracking squad btw, I wouldn't be surprised to see them challenge for a promotion place next season.

TBH I quite like turf Moor - one of the old fashioned stadia in the cobbled back streets - very close to the actual pitch and you will probably be in the away end behind the gaols which is compact and noisy. Just a wee walk from the car park - but I would suggest that yas dont park in the back streets. Again I think that Blackpool is overerated and is at least two train journeys and at least an hour away. Preston is a good nite out and plenty of travel lodges there.

I have heard that Blackburn and Burnley may be at this game but any fiting will be well away from the ground and most of the modern firms square up to fellow hoolies anyway. My advice is to just breeze quickly through Burnley fer the game and move on to Preston or even Manchester - Blackpool is shyte.

With all due respect to Claertfan I'll take on board what has been said and, being a decent sort of a chap that I am, I will bite the bullet and give Burnley a go. Hopefully the day will pass without incident and it'll be a decent game of football. Is it pay at the gate by the way?