Aberdeen vs Raith

caley100

Well done Raith Rovers. Justice done for having to play an undeserved replay.

You can add Dunfermline to the upset list, they knocked them out of the cup on pens last season. Graham Bayne got the winning one.

And Dundee knocked them out the League Cup.

Calderwood got sacked for not giving Aberdeen a cup run....is it written in the stars for McGee?

I was very surprised at this scoreline though i have to say after Saturday.....given how guff and unimaginitive Raith were, and how good and imaginitive Aberdeen were - talking from experience as i watched both games.

There's very little that separates the top 5 in Div1 from the bottom 5 in the SPL....

Time to think about league reconstruction again - hopefully heading to a bigger SPL - 14, or even 16, I reckon would be a big improvement.

Did hear somone mention a 16 team league but you cant drop gate money so would imagine it would be home and away once and a league split 8/8 and play 7 more games =37 that would give county a good chance of getting in to the SPL the following year.

I would say McGees days are numbered. the bizzare thing is he fielded a weaker team against Celtic, he got slated for that too, as he wanted the best team for the cup game.

There's very little that separates the top 5 in Div1 from the bottom 5 in the SPL....

Time to think about league reconstruction again - hopefully heading to a bigger SPL - 14, or even 16, I reckon would be a big improvement.

Did hear somone mention a 16 team league but you cant drop gate money so would imagine it would be home and away once and a league split 8/8 and play 7 more games =37 that would give county a good chance of getting in to the SPL the following year.

I would say McGees days are numbered. the bizzare thing is he fielded a weaker team against Celtic, he got slated for that too, as he wanted the best team for the cup game.

No he didn't .

Could you not have an 18 team league without a split and go for the 34 games like Italy and thus freeing up time for a winter shutdown? Then there could be two leagues below of 12 or 1 of 24.

Only problem is whilst there are certainly 6 more teams with 6000 seats, there aint much beyond that.

Oh and on topic HA HA HA HA!

If Aberdeen were to ever get relegated, going on this evidence they'd really struggle given the amount of lower league teams that give them a pumpin in the cups.

Edited by iamthecaptain1

Getting spat on is an absolute disgrace, not to mention a filthy thing to do....IF it happened! What a way to treat one of the clubs biggest "Heroes" from their heyday! Thats the reason i cant stand Aberdeen fans....they think they are a world power, due to 4-5 good years 30 yrs ago!

Having lived here for nearly 9 years I think I am well placed to say that a lot of Aberdeen fans are complete cretins. Disgusting human beings who I actively try to avoid if I ever have the displeasure of encountering them.

Having lived here for nearly 9 years I think I am well placed to say that a lot of Aberdeen fans are complete cretins. Disgusting human beings who I actively try to avoid if I ever have the displeasure of encountering them.

C'mon RiG, tell us what you really think...

:blink:

Maybe the Aberdeen fans, or at least a section of them, should take a good look at themselves and ask what contribution they themselves have made to the club's current status in what has been almost 30 years now since the "Gothenburg myth" was born.

For a geographically peripheral club with limited resources and no major benefactors, I find the expectations of a lot of Aberdeen fans quite staggering. For many it never seems to have been grasped that Aberdeen FC was lucky enough to benefit from a once in lifetime spell of success for about half a decade, a major factor in which was their sheer good fortune in attracting one of the world's major management figures just before he was ready to step into that very top international tier.

I would not, however, want to detract in any way from the great success that Aberdeen enjoyed around the early 80s and especially the marvellous achievement of winning the Cupwinners' Cup. However these days are now in the distant past.

After that euphoric bubble had run its course, Aberdeen had the opportunity to settle back into a more realistic level within the game. However achieving that has been made considerably more complicated by manager after manager being harassed and hounded out by the expectations of fans who seem to have great difficulty in understanding what the club's true level really is. Mark McGhee is merely receiving the same treatment as the likes of Alex Smith and Jimmy Calderwood whereas in reality "Gothenburg" was the gross exception rather than the rule. That myth, however, is perpetuated to this day, for example by the use of the "G word" whenever possible by a certain Aberdeen newspaper - most recently yesterday when it was reported that "Gothenburg Great Jim Leighton"....... had become a goalkeeping coach at Huntly!!!!

It rather looks to me as if rather too many North East Men still view the world through a delusional pair of red tinted spectacles.

I am sure that there are other factors as well, but it cannot be a comfortable matter to be manager or even a player at Aberdeen, given the unrealistic expectations of a significant slice of their support. Hence so many banana skins such as flirtations with relegation and cup disasters.

That said, the frequency with which they have been booted out of cups by lower league teams is quite staggering - and that over a period of jurisdiction by at least two if not three different managers which really does perhaps add just a little bit of mystery to the above thoughts.

So what about the contents of the "Aberdeen Book Of Scottish Cup Triumphs" (which sits on my shelf between books of Free Gifts and War Heroes, the ethnic origins of which might best not be stated in the current PC age)?

This particular Aberdonian "Shortest Book in the World" possibly has but a single chapter (post round about Alex Smith), recording how they lifted their game beyond all recognition and exceeded all expectations to eliminate - at the death, in a replay and with a wonder save from Huntly's future goalkeeping coach.... the Victors of Celtic Park!

Edited by Charles Bannerman